rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Boldangrey
Re: Paddy Jackson
Boldangrey (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 20:02
Matawalu

(Sm159)

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 20:30
Oh dear, let's think about empathy for a moment. On a weekend that celebrated a religion that the majority of you probably pay lip service to.
"Let the one amongst you that is without sin cast the first stone"..... oh @#$%&! You already did!

I wish we could all live a faultless life, I'm sooo happy for those of you that do enjoy your happiness in Nirvana.

Another quote for you. "There, but for the grace of God go I!"

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 22:11
Can any of us say that we have never made a mistake and then learned from that mistake? He maybe an idiot and he may have done something stupid but he is only human and has been judged by the legal system and found not guilty.

While I think there is no need to sign him, Better to sign an early 20s EQP player (ala Will Hooley) who can fill the A League/Anglo Welsh jersey than a middle age talent in the prime of his career as that will hurt Joe Simmonds development. Jackson is still only 26 and has potentially another 6 years left as a professional rugby player which may or may not be with Exeter. Furthermore we are only judging his character based on what we have seen/read about him and that is not always fair in an environment where the media is baying for Blood..

Ultimatly if Rob thinks he is a good fit for the team and he is the player we need who are we to judge as we have not met the guy or know the guy.

It has become a cliche at this point to say "In Rob we Trust", But it might be nice if some of you showed that trust for RB to do what he thinks is best for the Chiefs, Even if doing that involves Paddy Jackson, Or not......

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 14:44
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
He was found NOT GUILTY.
He should be allowed to carry on his chosen profession without narrow minded idiots who can't let people move on. If the Chiefs can sign him I feel it would be an excellent addition to our squad.

How many 26 year olds have got themselves into situations they regret, I bet many on this site have as well.

Why other would clubs question our morals as he has done nothing wrong, NOT GUILTY.

"Not guilty" doesn't mean he's done nothing wrong. It means he's done nothing criminally culpable. Normally we talk about people learning from their mistakes a little further down the line when they've proved that, rather than when the ink's still wet on the court transcript. Signing him wouldn't sit well with me personally.

chiefswatcher
chiefswatcher (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 15:06
Not guilty is the verdict so they are free to carry on. However, can you imaging the media circus if either or both were to be signed by Chiefs? Instead of the standard local press and the dedicated rugby writers from the nationals the place would be teeming with red top muckrakers.

That will be very settling for our squad won't it? Not to mention the fans. (I can picture the scene of some of these slimeballs asking female fans their opinions - vomit-inducing).

I hope we steer well clear.

Chief Milbury Farm
Two Moons (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 22:23
I think this is a non-story, aside from the fact that we've already got Steeno and Simmo, young Jackson doesn't appear to meet the Chiefs profile.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 08:21
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
"Not guilty" doesn't mean he's done nothing wrong. It means he's done nothing criminally culpable.

Close enough.. What it means is that there isn't enough evidence to go forward with a prosecution so as a result its pretty much a not guilty by default. I will add importantly that doesn't mean he did the crime either, Just that there wasn't enough evidence to proceed with the trial.

Quote:
Normally we talk about people learning from their mistakes a little further down the line when they've proved that, rather than when the ink's still wet on the court transcript. Signing him wouldn't sit well with me personally.

Paddy hasn't played a professional game of rugby in the last 11 months (9th May 2017) and has had this hanging over his head since July last year. I can guarantee you that it wouldn't have been in the last month that Paddy and Stuart suddenly developed remorse for their actions. I feel they at least deserve a chance to see if they have learned and changed as a result of their experience.

By all means if they do something similar again then we can hold their toes to the fire but they deserve a chance to show that they have learned and moved on from this if that chance comes here in Exeter, Or elsewhere.

I would also add that it might be smart that we all watch their words here as Paddy is currently proceeding with legal action against an Irish senator over a tweet for deformation of character.
[www.independent.ie]

Chief Milbury Farm
Two Moons (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 09:02
I would like to add that prior to Jackson's lay off, I thought he was an excellent fly half and the natural successor to Johnny Sexton.

I hope he can turn things around and appear in the green shirt again, although I don't feel that we need him at Sandy Park, it would prove an obstacle to the continued development of Joe Simmonds.

Steeno still has at least one or two good years left, Nick Evans was still producing magic at the Stoop when he was 38 years young.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 13:00
Quote:
Two Moons
I would like to add that prior to Jackson's lay off, I thought he was an excellent fly half and the natural successor to Johnny Sexton.
I hope he can turn things around and appear in the green shirt again, although I don't feel that we need him at Sandy Park, it would prove an obstacle to the continued development of Joe Simmonds.

Steeno still has at least one or two good years left, Nick Evans was still producing magic at the Stoop when he was 38 years young.

Without being disrespectful to Steeno, Evans was an excellent fly half but I believe he went on a couple of seasons too long. He picked up a lot of injuries in his last few seasons and took longer to get over them.

In Steeno we have a very experienced 10 who has and will win us games with his place kicking. Joe Simmonds has come on leaps and bounds this season and will have a very bright future. Not sure who is in the pipeline but are two fly halves enough? Last season we lost both of our frontline 9s but our academy boys pulled us through, could we cope with losing both Steeno and Joe?

blowing bubbles
blowing bubbles (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 14:21
A couple of points.

1) Yes they were found not guilty but the evidence produced in court is not remotely pretty. So yes, they should be allowed to follow a career of their choosing, hopefully with a change of attitude as i'd like to think most people, even guilty ones, can be reformed. BUT, In regards to them representing the club we support, a club that has worked hard on developing it's community partnerships, ask yourself would they pass this test - If you have a daughter, would you be happy for her to go for a drink with Jackson?

2) More importantly - Why would we consider signing a player with baggage like this? We are defending premiership champions, currently top of the table and guaranteed European rugby next season. Surely we have enough pulling power now to attract top draw players without having to rummage around in the rejects bin?

Chief black hat
Chief black hat (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 17:35
What a pity we havenít got anything better to write about! May never happen BUT just look at the team we are putting up on Sunday and they are only part of the Chief squad....
Such strength in depth.... come on CHIEFS

blowing bubbles
blowing bubbles (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 17:51
Chief Black Hat - Aye and Jack, Mitch, Steeno and big Dave on the bench! Glocs still well in the mix for PO's so should be a cracker of a game.

I wonder who will be first choice starter for #10 come the PO's and fingers crossed the final?

coolbawn
coolbawn (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 01:49
Quote:
Kimimela
Anyone who brags about what they did that night or any night on social media shows that he has a total lack of respect towards women, himself, his family and his profession. I donít think he would fit in with the ethos of the club and will not earn the respect from the changing room. You only have to look at Luke Arscott and Ignacio Mieres to see how their careers are doing and they werenít up in front of a judge for a rape charge!
Nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes but he has tainted his career forever and only has himself to blame.

WhatsApp isn't actually social media. It's nothing like Twitter. It's a place to send PRIVATE messages to designated friends. I think all he did was say to some of his close friends in private "Weren't we top @#$%& last night". Not his fault that his comment was made public because a regret was turned into a charge which mercifully was blown out of the water by an eye-witness (who he had only just met) and thrown out unanimously by the jury in double quick time.

Israel Folau was (in my mind) correctly not punished for his (in my mind) strange PUBLIC homophobic remarks. Didn't Denny Solomona get a few weeks suspension for his PUBLIC homophobic remarks ? So does PJ really deserve to lose his job and get all this grief for one PRIVATE misogynistic remark ?

If he does join you, I think you'll quickly realise that you've got a top (and contrite) bloke as well as a top player. And if he does go to you, I'm glad because you are a top club too and you deserve him.

MESSAGES->author
14 April, 2018 11:35
Ulster have sacked Jackson along with Olding.

He would not fit into our club ethos. I don't want him here. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

In a joint statement, the IRFU and Ulster said they "acknowledge our responsibility and commitment to the core values of the game: Respect, inclusivity and integrity"[b][/b]

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

CloudStrife
CloudStrife (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 12:31
Take care of Jackson lads. Gutted to be losing him. You'll have a fair few new fans.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:06
The media circus and unwanted attention that will follow him around now are the exact opposite of our clubs current policy of players keeping a low profile outside of club work and anyone that brings negative press to the club normally has a short walk to the exit door.

He has apologised for his behavior, he will move on and I am sure he will be an exemplary ambassador for his new club but I don't see it being us.
I did say the same about Cuthbert though......lol

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:26
I think where was to be a female protest at the Ulster game this weekend

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:11
Sacked by Ulster and irfu due to sponsor pressure from the bank of Ireland it seems. The irfu renewed Jackson's contract after the allegations were made, so quite a turnaround by them and not a great look to be at the behest of mob rule.

On reflection, I'm less against the move than I was at first reading.

IF he were to come, I would certainly back Rob's judgement on it with him having access to the facts and the player himself, rather than just what I had read in the media.

Yes the WhatsApp messages were unpleasant, but they were private messages between young men, never intended for public consumption, so not a very fair reflection on them. I doubt many people have not said things in private they would not want published at some point.

Really not keen on the burning pitchforks approach that seems to have led to their sacking.

Article in the mail suggests Glaws might be the destination. Wherever he lands, I'm sure they will get a very good player with a massive point to prove (with the bonus that he is below market value).

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:49
Whatever the legal rights or wrongs of the matter the Club has set itself high moral standards in dealing with players whose behaviour has been legal but not acceptable to the coaches/management. Arscott, Mieres, and Matawalu were all innocent of any illegality but were all got rid of for what used to be called "gross moral turpitude", (Nadolo's case was slightly different).

Under these circumstances signing Jackson would seem so out of character that one would feel that principle had been sacrificed to expediency and that signing him would undermine the standards that the Club has set itself.

With the wealth and adulation comes a level of responsibility, players who are heroes to small boys and girls can, reasonably, be held to higher standards than ordinary mortals.

Personally, for all of the above reasons, I hope that we don't sign him.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:12
Quote:
fatheralice
Sacked by Ulster and irfu due to sponsor pressure from the bank of Ireland it seems.

Bank of Ireland is a massive sponsor for Irish Rugby and their logo is prominently displayed on the back of the Ulster Shirt which Olding and Jackson would wear. Its not a good look for the brand and PR of the Bank of Ireland to sponsor both the IRFU and Ulster and have Jackson and Olding wearing their logo. I completely get why they objected and raised their concerns and from a financial perspective I get why the IRFU cut them.

This is another reason I don't see them coming to England as the same thing would happen here. Imagine if Centrax or Flybe objected to a signing and requested their sponsorship be pulled?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 11:26 by Tom A Hawk.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net