rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

MESSAGES->author
Cordero
fatheralice (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 00:53
Is staying according to fissler.
Signed on for at least another 12 months with the option to extend further.

Master Chief
Re: Cordero
Master Chief (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 04:45
Brilliant news if true. He has to be one of the best back three players in the world. I just hope we can also keep Campo. I know he has had his injury troubles but he has been unlucky with the timing of them and when fit is one of the best centres in Europe.

Will be interesting to see how we will fit in the likes of Cordero, Nowell, Cuthbert, Woodburn, Campo and Slade into the same side!! Then you have Devoto, Hill and Whitten all competing for the 12 shirt! And I haven’t even mentioned Short, Turner (if staying) and O’Flaherty...

We could potentially see a backline like this!...

15 Jack Nowell
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Henry Slade
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 06:43
I so very much hope it's true ...

Topofthepole
Topofthepole (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:29
Fantastic I hope this is true.
I have just emailed Kai to ask if it is true.
I will post his reply.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:56
Quote:
Master Chief
15 Jack Nowell
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Henry Slade
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White

That is a backline that will give opposition teams nightmares.

Littledeepea
Otter Supper (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:41
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
Master Chief
15 Jack Nowell
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Henry Slade
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White

That is a backline that will give opposition teams nightmares.

Who would be on the bench?

Stu Townsend/ Jack Maunder. Steeno. Dolly, Lachie, Sam Hill, Whits, Olly W, Olly D, Shorty, Tom O'Flaherty. Sorry for any that I've missed.

Then add in the youngsters, who'd want to be a coach?

Garnett
Garnett (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:24
Wouldn't we start having issues with our need for England qualified players in the squad? 4 of our back 7 would not be qualified? From next year we drop out of Bosman and Kolpak. I understood we have to average 15 out of 23? Some hit residency but we would be fielding 4 current non English internationals. Then we have the forwards...

Comanche Chief
Comanche Chief (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:04
Quote:
Master Chief
Brilliant news if true. He has to be one of the best back three players in the world. I just hope we can also keep Campo. I know he has had his injury troubles but he has been unlucky with the timing of them and when fit is one of the best centres in Europe.
Will be interesting to see how we will fit in the likes of Cordero, Nowell, Cuthbert, Woodburn, Campo and Slade into the same side!! Then you have Devoto, Hill and Whitten all competing for the 12 shirt! And I haven’t even mentioned Short, Turner (if staying) and O’Flaherty...

We could potentially see a backline like this!...

15 Jack Nowell
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Henry Slade
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White

But not one back scored a try yesterday against London Irish. Lets hope their defensive skills are as good.

distant voice
distant voice (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:49
Something's got to give? I thought we were well covered for back three players before Cuthbert and Cordero appeared.Both quality players but we could now field a credible back 9. I can't see how someone isn't going to be pushed out if Cordero also joins for next year.

distant voice
distant voice (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:50
Something's got to give? I thought we were well covered for back three players before Cuthbert and Cordero appeared.Both quality players but we could now field a credible back 9. I can't see how someone isn't going to be pushed out if Cordero also joins for next year.

blowing bubbles
blowing bubbles (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:55
What is the current situation wrt quotas for England qualified players?

I had thought it was based on hitting a % make up for the registered 1st team squad qualifies for incentive money from the RFU, not the matchday team? Admittedly this was my understanding from a long while back so it may be well out of date and is separate from the various rules governing non-European qualified players.

Cuthbert, Whits and Steeno are all British and so courtesy of employment law, i'd assume they could not be discriminated against via RFU rules, same for Campo, at least while the Brexit bun fight is being sorted out?

Leaves Nic white and Cordero as those whose selection i'd imagine could be governed by a quota system?

chiefs-fan85
Weegie Chief (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:43
I presume that Steenson (and Dollman) both count as 'English Qualified' as neither have been capped.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:56
EQP* in a matchday squad of 23. The RFU want teams to hit a certain threshold averaged over the season, which can lead to some unusual teams selections in the final rounds if numbers don't add up.
I think the current figure is over 15 EQP per 23 in a squad over the Domestic season, which also included the AW Cup fixtures (but not Europe which has its own rules)

No punishment for not meeting the targets, but also no financial gain, which is the driver, as their is a decent payment for meeting the threshold

*(= England qualified player - either as a capped England international, or a player who could still represent England if selected, based on residency, birthplace or family history up to grandparent)

There is also an foreign player quota, of max of 2 in the matchday squad for any game, which is where the discrimination argument may come in, and why most countries fall outside of the foreigner definition based on EU / Kolpak rules - and may be subject to review post brexit, but not determined yet I don't think)

article here if you are interested [url=http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/aviva-premiership-eqp-figures/16190.htm][/url]

blowing bubbles
blowing bubbles (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:18
Many thanks for the clarification Fatherlace, so while the figures are taken from matchday squads it is effectively relating the the 1st team over a season.

I understood that due to family history, Steeno has always been eligible to play for either Ire or Eng but stated that he only really wanted to represent Ire. A few years back I was surprised that one or other of the unions did not select him for at least an A-team representative game, simply keep the other unions mitts off him. If a best XV was selected of home union players never to get an adult representative honour, i suspect Steeno would be in it.

In a post Brexit world i believe only Campo and Cordero would be classed as overseas? Elvis is a south seas player and there are all sorts of rules governing them, all the others are Aussies/S.Africans some of whom may well now have residency.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net