rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RugbyInsideLine
Goodbye Exeter Chiefs?
RugbyInsideLine (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 23:35
New trademarked logo

After our announcements on Bristol Bears and Gloucester Lions tonight, it has been brought to our attention that Exeter filed a trademark for a new logo on the 7th March with it being "Exeter Athletic Rugby" rather than "Exeter Chiefs Rugby".

MESSAGES->author
Re: Goodbye Exeter Chiefs?
Tribester (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 04:52
Can't see this being for the Premiership team.

Maybe the ladies team?

Littlebigchief
Littlebigchief (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 06:18
I think it’s for the new combination team of Exeter Youth and Wessex.

Wessex have folded/ moved / merged with exeter youth as of next season.

The new name is Exeter Athletic

Rich.
Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 06:43
Hmm you might want to have a gander through the thread on the Briz site. This Could perhaps all be about something else but it could also be that Gallagher want teams with a city name and no moniker to add one as part of the new sponsorship and attempt to make lots of money in US. If so then they may have said the name Chiefs is too controversial (I know this has been discussed on this site and there is Washington Redskins etc but Gallagher may have said they couldn't have it). All that said if Bears and Lions are true then Athletic doesn't fit in with that (or with Tigers, Falcons and Sharks) so even if Bears and Lions true Exeter Athletic may not be.

MESSAGES->author
Jim H (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:00
"Atheletics" in US sports get shortened to A's - Oakland A's etc... so fits to the US model.

Littlebigchief
Littlebigchief (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:42
All I know is the new Wessex/ exeter youth team is 100% being called Exter Athletic

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:32
Back at the County Ground the 3rd XV was always known as "The Athletic". I also seem to recall that a couple of seasons ago we wanted to put an amateur side into the Devon leagues under that name in the same way that Hartpury (Gloucester) have a national league side but that the junior clubs or Devon RFU blocked admission as the team would be likely to to be far better than the established clubs.

Also I thought that sponsors could object to clubs having shirt etc sponsors who were rivals in the same field but I doubt if they would have a veto over naming rights to clubs; and anyway most American sports are littered with teams whose names reference native Americans: eg Seminoles, as well as Redskins, Atlanta Braves etc etc and what about animal rights? If I were a Dolphin I'd feel pretty insulted by Miami's performances over the last few seasons (Sm125) (Sm125).

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:11
I had noticed that the building down on the Flowerpot pitches beside the railway beside where the Wessex team play had been taken over by Chiefs and was part of the academy. But would add that Athletic doesn't work as a team name for me,

I really do think that the whole idea of rebranding at this stage really does seems counter productive to me to just up and change the name and the branding. Exeter have spent a lot of money building the brand and it seems counter productive to have to rebuild that brand again under a new name. Secondly the protest was always against the Redskins name as that is a racist slang term, Chiefs was only ever lumped into the argument by the media as it is an Indian reference, But the term itself most Indian groups don't really care to much about as it doesn't have the same meaning and origin as Redskins.

That said however there are some things that could do with going away and not coming back.... Some of which may be popular and some of which may not be popular....

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:11
I remember that The name "Athletic" was being talked about within Exeter Youth Rugby back in 2013/2014.

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:30
Quote:
Rich.
Hmm you might want to have a gander through the thread on the Briz site. This Could perhaps all be about something else but it could also be that Gallagher want teams with a city name and no moniker to add one as part of the new sponsorship and attempt to make lots of money in US. If so then they may have said the name Chiefs is too controversial (I know this has been discussed on this site and there is Washington Redskins etc but Gallagher may have said they couldn't have it). All that said if Bears and Lions are true then Athletic doesn't fit in with that (or with Tigers, Falcons and Sharks) so even if Bears and Lions true Exeter Athletic may not be.

But the logo features the Chiefs head which is surely more contentious than the word Chiefs which is used by some Devon clubs to denote their first team.

boston chief
boston chief (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:38
Contentious logo - I think it is. Ditch it and insert the city crest. Then keep the name Chiefs (as used for 1st team rather than have a native american twist)!

Just a thought!!

An afterthought - No headdresses! What would we dress up in ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 09:40 by boston chief.

Blackwater Tribe
Blackwater Tribe (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:15
[quote Exeforever]Back at the County Ground the 3rd XV was always known as "The Athletic".

I always thought the 3rd XV were the 'B's and the 4th XV the extra 'B's.

lionroyhurford
LIONROY (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:47
Always the "B" team when I played in the 50/60's

MESSAGES->author
Little Plums (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:31
Quote:
boston chief

More to the point, what would we chant?

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:39
Quote:
LIONROY
Always the "B" team when I played in the 50/60's

Checking on the old programmes the change seems to have come about in the 97 season. Prior to that both the programme and handbook (membership card(!!!))lists 1sts, A XV and B XV. For the 97/8 season I have 3 programmes for Exeter United games which were the seconds at that point and I clearly remember turning up one Saturday to watch the United/A XV only to find that they were playing away and there was a team sheet (which I can no longer find) on which the Team was described as Exeter Athletic; Mark Chatterton played on the wing that day for anyone else with a long memory.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:54
[quote boston chief]Contentious logo - I think it is. Ditch it and insert the city crest. Then keep the name Chiefs (as used for 1st team rather than have a native american twist)!

Just a thought!!

No issue for me and SWMBO, we can’t stand the bloody things, pointless stupid looking waste of time. Would not be seen dead in one.

A personal opinion of course..........Sorry.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 06:02
Non event this chat, but if we did return the logo to the crest, we can still sing the chant. Headdress is fun, but I have noticed more people wearing it where they shouldn’t causing interference to those behind, think of other in the stand please.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 06:55
Quote:
Little Plums
Quote:
boston chief

Well Iam pretty sure we can be more creative than some teams simply chanting the name of the team in a droning and monotonous way

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:22
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
Little Plums
Quote:
boston chief

Well Iam pretty sure we can be more creative than some teams simply chanting the name of the team in a droning and monotonous way

Or the even more monotonously wow, wow, wow.......Wow, wow, wow.

Scuff
Scuff (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:23
People can chant whatever they like, doesn't have to be related to the team name. That said, I can't see Exe changing such a fundamental part of their marketing for a sponsor. Not without sizable compensation - and surely there would need to be some goverenance needed from the members. I wouldn't be sorry to see the headresses go though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net