rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs end the season in first place....next up it's Falcons at Sandy Park for the Prem Semifinal.. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

OldWing
Re: Goodbye Exeter Chiefs?
OldWing (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:39
I'm another who wouldn't miss the headdresses. The Beeb suggests that the Chiefs branding came in in 1995. I only started watching Exeter in 2004, and I don't remember the branding being quite so up front then. Nor do I remember hearing the Chop then either - but I must admit that I hardly remember anything these days anyway! I do remember Bristol being called the Shoguns for a while, but I'm not sure it made much difference to their performances. I expect the Bears soubriquet will be equally more about marketing than anything else.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:11
I have no recollection of the Chop at the County Ground either.......Or ridiculous headress for that matter.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:31
Quote:
Chiefs
I have no recollection of the Chop at the County Ground either.......Or ridiculous headress for that matter.

I get the inkling that you're not a fan of the headress.

I've never worn one, probably never will,and none of the regular season ticket holders I usually watch with do either, but I'm fine with those other supporters, old and young, male or female that do wear them.

I too remember the old County Ground, but I much prefer the crowd atmosphere at Sandy Park. I didn't think, back then, that I'd take to calling Exe, Chiefs, but I have.

Most things change over time, we're playing in different shirts, at a different ground, in a different league, under different rules and with sheltered stands. Not everyone will like the change, but for me, its much, much better.

At the 2016 Premiership final, the Sarries fans around me said they loved the colour and atmosphere that Chiefs supporters brought to the game.

At this years Anglo Welsh final, the Bath fans next to me said they loved it too, and moaned about their own lack of atmosphere at their ground and boring chant.

The Agentinian language students at the Madejski on Sunday, took great pleasure in donning the headresses handed to them by neighbouring Chiefs fans, whilst they waited for Santiago Cordero to come back out after the game.

Not everyone likes the changes, but I feel, most do.

MESSAGES->author
minuteman (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 19:36
Thats a great post Tribester....i too used to be regular at the county ground for the last 2-3 seasons we played there (after my playing days - though not for Exeter - were over ).
i like many others don't have the resources to attend every game -though i did have a season ticket for our first season in the premiership. i like others -thought it might only be 1 season before we were relegated back down ......how wrong we were .
the first Premiership game v Glos was something i'll never forget.
i'd love to attend more than i do (both home and away) but have a family and job that sadly have to come first sometimes .
its great to see how far the club has come in more recent years and its good to know that things will only get better.
i fully understand why some folks like the traditional way of things and also those newbies who go for the whole head dress thing too, there is a place for both.
i still pinch myself sometimes when i realise that yes ....we are still top of the league..the current best side in England, field international players who came through our academy and the club has hosted full international matches for the World cup .
the past has been amazing but the future looks even better - with or without a head dress .

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:42
Quote:
Tribester
Quote:
Chiefs

I get the inkling that you're not a fan of the headress.

I've never worn one, probably never will,and none of the regular season ticket holders I usually watch with do either, but I'm fine with those other supporters, old and young, male or female that do wear them.

I too remember the old County Ground, but I much prefer the crowd atmosphere at Sandy Park. I didn't think, back then, that I'd take to calling Exe, Chiefs, but I have.

Most things change over time, we're playing in different shirts, at a different ground, in a different league, under different rules and with sheltered stands. Not everyone will like the change, but for me, its much, much better.

At the 2016 Premiership final, the Sarries fans around me said they loved the colour and atmosphere that Chiefs supporters brought to the game.

At this years Anglo Welsh final, the Bath fans next to me said they loved it too, and moaned about their own lack of atmosphere at their ground and boring chant.

The Agentinian language students at the Madejski on Sunday, took great pleasure in donning the headresses handed to them by neighbouring Chiefs fans, whilst they waited for Santiago Cordero to come back out after the game.

Not everyone likes the changes, but I feel, most do.

I totally agree with you Tribester, there is absolutely no comparing Sandy Park to the County Ground, either as a spectator or player. I played there several times, even beating Exeter! I would certainly not want to go back to that, it was quite frankly a sh**hole of a place.

Yes, headress add a bit of colour etc, but they should not be worn in the stand. I will not tolerate someone sat/stood in front of me wearing one, sorry, but I have also paid good money to see the game. That is my grind with them.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 22:06
Quote:
OldWing
I do remember Bristol being called the Shoguns for a while, but I'm not sure it made much difference to their performances. I expect the Bears soubriquet will be equally more about marketing than anything else.

The players all got great deals on Mitsubishi's and that was about the only advantage they got from it. Which all likely developed electrical faults and stopped working after a year.

Bristols name change (Now confirmed by them by the way) is apparently an attempt to appeal to a worldwide audience, Not quite sure why the original name didn't?. But its not something they even consulted the supporters about as I did see the chairman of the supporters club was livid that the club didnt even approach them for their verdict on the matter. He was worried opposition fans where going to nickname the Team things like "Yogi, Booboo or Fuzzies"
[www.independent.co.uk]

Guess we know what Bristols nickname is for next season then...

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 23:01
Poo (h) ?

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:11
I prefer Bear Bristol’s!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net