rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs end the season in first place....next up it's Falcons at Sandy Park for the Prem Semifinal.. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

keithbar
dea dear dear mr jones
keithbar (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 18:38
the england squad have not included don armand, well is mr jones on another planet or should he go to the opticians.

MESSAGES->author
Re: dea dear dear mr jones
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 20:36
I'm sure Don will be disappointed, I'm not. He gets a break and comes back fitter and stronger for next season when we will surely look to push on in Europe.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 21:23
I can see why he wasn't picked but my biggest issue is the picking of Brad Shields.
No objection on grounds of talent BUT I do personally think it does nothing for morale of the players hoping to break into the squad.
The fact that someone can be jettisoned into the squad from another country basically against the "exceptional circumstances" rule on a technicality rather than rewarding the players that have had good domestic seasons is almost insulting and smacks of desperation from EJ which is worrying a year before the World Cup.

fisher
fisher (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 21:48
Havent we been here before with a certain Bath player?

MESSAGES->author
minuteman (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 21:52
I tend to agree with GJ... similarly Alec Hepburn can feel a bit hard done by in my humble opinion... the fact that Don was voted for - by his peers - as one of the stand out players in the league speaks volumes. Englands loss is our gain .?

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 22:01
It was the same with Piers Francis, He will play a few games. Eddie will realize he wasn't as good as he thought and he won't get near the England shirt again.

Shields is 30 years old, He won't have a long international career..

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 22:54
England is a sideshow for me. My team is Exeter Chiefs

chiefswatcher
chiefswatcher (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:43
Quote:
Tom A Hawk

Not disagreeing with much said above. Steff Armitage anyone? (Historically! Not now smiling smiley )

However, Brad Shields is 27.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 07:46 by chiefswatcher.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:51
Quote:
chiefswatcher
Quote:
Tom A Hawk

Not disagreeing with much said above. Steff Armitage anyone? (Historically! Not now smiling smiley )

However, Brad Shields is 27.

Mistake on my part, Yes he is 27.
Will be 28 for the next WC.

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:12
I know Cameron Redpath has probably been selected as a development player but I would count Joe Simmonds a little unlucky too.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:02
Cameron Redpath is only in the team to tie him to England, He is not there on merit. His father is former Scotland Scrum Half Bryan Redpath and it is said that Bryan would rather see his son in Blue than White.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:29
Are we sure that the likes of Hepburn, Nowell and Armand aren't having operations of some sort during the off season?

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:20
It may be that there are reasons why Don has not been selected - treatment, rest, etc - but he is not specifically mentioned in the 'not available for selection' list as Jack is. There must be something about him EJ does not like. I have no idea what it can be and Don's omission does seem to be seen as odd by many supporters, not just of Exeter. Perhaps his approach of consistent excellence is the problem. Maybe, if he tried being more 'mercurial' and was only excellent occasionally, that might get him picked. Let's hope he enjoys his summer break and comes back better than ever for next season.

Otherwise I can't argue with most of EJ's selections. Given that he's really got to nail down his top 30 or so players ahead of next year's World Cup, it's hardly surprising that he's not picked a lot of youngsters; they will presumably get their chances after 2019, Joe Simmons and Marcus Smith being likely contenders for the 10 jersey then.

That makes the inclusion of Brad Shields (and, Cameron Redpath, for that matter) all the more puzzling. Are we really short of experienced talent in their positions? Surely not. Comparisons of Shields with Sam Burgess are inevitable, but at least Burgess had played rugby union in this country before he was picked for England. I hope Shields doesn't find the weight of expectation upon him too much, as Burgess undoubtedly did.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:36
Redpath and Shields are there to tie them to England aren't they?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net