rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

MESSAGES->author
Great article on our Matt Kvesic
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 21:10
Just read this article on our Matt Kvesic

Says a lot about how hard Matt is working and our culture at Exe. Well Done Matt buhy ... Keep the faith and keep going (Sm152)

"Get on Exe"

Currychief
Re: Great article on our Matt Kvesic
Currychief (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 23:07
Thanks CCC. I believe Matt will make it happen. His time will come.

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 15:59
Quote:
Currychief
Thanks CCC. I believe Matt will make it happen. His time will come.

I hope so CC.

I stand with his Aunt and Uncle at the front of the Library and think the Premiership interpretation of the law changes this season have required him to change his game which he is doing.

Like Currychief ... I hope the the Buhy's time will come soon.

"Get on Exe"

MESSAGES->author
Brave new world (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:32
Having watched Matt all season, the difference in his work rate is marked. He is constantly looking for work and his decision making and interlink play is great. Only a matter of time until he is regular starter.

Welsh Chief
Welsh Chief (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:18
Any chance of posting the full article on here please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 11:19 by Welsh Chief.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:21
I have rated this guy for some time, always impressed when he played against us for Wuss and Glaws. Pity he didn’t sign for us 4 seasons ago instead of Glaws, reckon he would have been an England regular by now. I hope his time has not passed!

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:33
Kvesic learns what it means to be a Chief
Exeter flanker has been frustrated with his lack of action, but tells Ben Coles he is improving every day
The best way to encapsulate Matt Kvesic’s first season with Exeter would be to bill it as an education. Arriving from Gloucester last summer, Kvesic has spent the past 11 months assimilating himself into the way of the Chiefs, the Aviva Premiership champions, who face Newcastle Falcons in Saturday’s semi-final.

Opening up: Matt Kvesic is working on his all-round play
“Being at a successful club and seeing the way it is run and being involved in that is an eye-opener. Which is a good thing,” Kvesic says during an off-road driving day with participants of the Exeter Chiefs HITZ programme. “It has been a massive learning curve, and maybe taken a bit of time to get used to.”
The mid-career adjustment seems well-timed. Kvesic has been on the Premiership circuit since the start of the decade and has played in 120 league matches. “It has been another very quick season. I’m 26 and before you know it I’ll be done,” he laughs. He was first with Worcester Warriors before heading to Kingsholm. Moving to the Chiefs last summer also coincided with Kvesic getting married.
Exeter had come calling a few years previously, when Kvesic opted to move elsewhere. When he was approached for a second time, there was only one answer. “They were a club I had interest from previously, but having a another opportunity to come down here, I couldn’t really turn that down,” Kvesic reveals.
“I knew it would be a tough year coming to a team that has been successful, but what they have here is sustainable and it’s a good environment to be in. There are not too many ups and downs, which for players is important.
“It is a really easy culture to buy into. Everyone is on the same page, from the cleaners to the chefs to the players to the coaches, all driven towards the weekend. The new guys are really well welcomed in – they give them a hard time, but in a way that makes you feel welcome – and it is a very inclusive squad.
“No one looks down on each other, in terms of the younger academy players coming up. Everyone is an equal. I think that is testament to where we are.”
Not that everything has gone to plan. Exeter’s back row competition is extraordinary, with Kvesic battling for minutes on the field alongside the two Daves, Dennis and Ewers, plus Sam Simmonds, Julian Salvi, Thomas Waldrom and the man England continue to overlook, Don Armand.
Those resources have limited Kvesic to only four Premiership starts this season, and plenty of minutes as part of the Chiefs’ successful Anglo-Welsh Cup campaign. “I’d be lying if I said I was satisfied with the game time,” Kvesic freely admits. “I would have liked to contribute more to the Premiership, but on the flip side of that I have to be realistic. This is a team that has been playing together for almost four years now, with the exception of a couple of players. To arrive here and think I would just walking into the XV would have been stupid of me.
‘I have to be realistic. This team has been playing together for four years’
“It has probably been more frustrating because of what happened at Gloucester the previous year. Once the move [to Exeter] was announced, I was pretty much shunned.
“So that has almost made it worse, going from playing week in, week out to quite infrequently, which has been tough mentally more than anything else.
“This year has been about working out where I fit into the Chiefs’ style of play.”
Two areas stick out when discussing how Kvesic has devel-oped.
Work has gone into imp-roving his skills under fatigue: catching, passing or clearing out rucks. “Being able to repeat basic drills when you are knackered,” as Kvesic puts it. “They try and put you into a place where you don’t want to be and then to stay there for as long as possible.”
The more fascinating development is his move away from solely being a breakdown operator. When England limped away from the last World Cup desperately seeking a “fetcher” at seven to win turnovers, having been taken to pieces by Wales and Australia, Kvesic was among the touted candidates. He was won only one cap since then, against Wales in 2016.
“I have been developing more of an all-round game, trying to get back to where I was at Worcester, when I was not focused on the breakdown: I was ball-carrying and others parts of my game stood out,” he explains. “At Gloucester I maybe went away from that and did not have a massive attacking mentality.
“Perhaps subconsciously [England’s need] played a role in focusing on the breakdown in those years after the Rugby World Cup. I like to think that is a strength in my game. But at the end of the day [with England] it did not really happen. I think I over-focused on [the breakdown] a bit too much, and was distracted away from other parts of the game. I had Laurie Fisher as my coach at Gloucester, who was a bit of a breakdown guru, who worked with David Pocock back in Australia, so I tried to learn as much as I could off him and had an extra focus on the ruck compared to now with Exeter.”
Playing for England is off his radar while Kvesic attempts to crack the Chiefs’ back row for the semi-final.
There is clear respect for what the Falcons have achieved. “I think Newcastle have been one of the best teams to watch this season. They attack from everywhere.”
As for Kvesic, the chance is there to end a career-changing season by booking the Chiefs’ ticket back to the Premiership final at Twickenham.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net