rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Chief-cum-Lately
Future of the Premiership
Chief-cum-Lately (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 18:02
Nick Cain in todays Rugby Paper outlines the potential threats to the RFU and supporters of the CVC proposal to buy control of the League. Nigel Wray and possibly some other owners are reputed to be in favour. I believe that we are one of the very few clubs still owned by it's members. I also understand that any change in the current ownership structure requires unanimity among the clubs. Theoretically therefore our members can veto any undesirable change if they so wish.

Have our members yet discussed the implicit threats and if so have they yet formulated their policy? Are they yet in a position to share their views with other stakeholders i.e. we supporters? and have they yet made representations to the Board? What do other people think?

MESSAGES->author
Re: Future of the Premiership
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 20:52
Err..I don`t think being a member quite works like that CcL.
From what i understand they have very little say at that level in what happens.Members feel free to correct me if i`m wrong.

Chief-cum-Lately
Chief-cum-Lately (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 07:52
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
Err..I don`t think being a member quite works like that CcL.
From what i understand they have very little say at that level in what happens.Members feel free to correct me if i`m wrong.

There is no doubt that Tony Rowe and the board have done an excellent job of running the club both on and off the field. Consequently you are probably right under most circumstances. However it is my very limited understanding that the members can overule the Board if necessary with a two thirds majority. If the members had no real power there would be no point in maintaining a 'restricted' membership.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 10:07
Well,plenty of members belong to this forum,perhaps they could answer that.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 13:19
No doubt some / many clubs will be tempted by the short term injection of funds that a buy-out would bring, not least to help them reduce levels of debt. The real issue, however, is to try to find a longer term way of making the Premiership financially viable. It's certainly not that at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 13:42
We recently had to vote on pushing forward with the hotel, as it involved a major investment for the betterment of the club.
I cannot see this going ahead without the consent of the members, yes day to day things are run well by Tony and Alan, but unlike other clubs we are not owned, so should have a say.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 13:52
Good article in the Telegraph by Brian Moore

Points and tries galore; round two of the Gallagher Premiership was a heady mixture of flawed rugby, individual genius and collective character that showed English domestic rugby in full focus. What might this mean to a private equity and credit company?

The number of tries and points scored last weekend is not automatic proof that spectators saw good rugby, but, on the whole, this was the case. More was taken by good attacking play than was given by inadequate defence.

Gates were good, and the rugby was entertaining, which adds to what it might be worth in the rights market, not in ongoing broadcast rights but as a single entity – the Premiership itself.

Its football counterpart would be valued in the tens of billions, but a minority sport – albeit with a successful adjunct in the international game – is worth nowhere near such sums.

The fact that last week there was an offer of £275 million for a 51 per cent share from former F1 owners CVC Capital Partners is significant in itself. It shows that hard-headed business sees potential value in the organisation and domestic club game. The deal and the overall value of £550 million has been rejected by the Premiership, but that sort of money puts the Premiership into a different league to domestic cricket and rugby league. Even if the Premiership continues with its slow improvements, this value will rise.

Points and tries galore; round two of the Gallagher Premiership was a heady mixture of flawed rugby, individual genius and collective character that showed English domestic rugby in full focus. What might this mean to a private equity and credit company?

The number of tries and points scored last weekend is not automatic proof that spectators saw good rugby, but, on the whole, this was the case. More was taken by good attacking play than was given by inadequate defence.

Gates were good, and the rugby was entertaining, which adds to what it might be worth in the rights market, not in ongoing broadcast rights but as a single entity – the Premiership itself.

Its football counterpart would be valued in the tens of billions, but a minority sport – albeit with a successful adjunct in the international game – is worth nowhere near such sums.

The fact that last week there was an offer of £275 ;million for a 51 per cent share from former F1 owners CVC Capital Partners is significant in itself. It shows that hard-headed business sees potential value in the organisation and domestic club game. The deal and the overall value of £550 million has been rejected by the Premiership, but that sort of money puts the Premiership into a different league to domestic cricket and rugby league. Even if the Premiership continues with its slow improvements, this value will rise.

If the RFU was brave enough, this solution could be further radicalised by running the Premiership on the lines of one of the world’s most successful sport business models – the NFL. With salaries and owner profits linked strictly to income, everyone would make money, with the RFU free to decide how it filtered its share to the grass-roots. A draft system would be possible, with a little inventiveness, to add to domestic and English-qualified talent.

Such seismic changes are almost certainly too dramatic for a governing body to action, with the variety of opinions and interests within the RFU and the fact that the amateur and professional games are within its purview.

What such a move would also entail is the ring-fencing of the Premiership and an end to automatic promotion and relegation. You could not stabilise long-term plans for investment and player welfare and distribution. How many clubs would accept, for example, each promoted club enjoying an equal share in ongoing revenues but not the one-off capital windfall that current Premiership clubs would enjoy.

I’d favour the radical solution because in the long term, it does not rely on the largesse of wealthy benefactors. It would remove the inherently divisive relationship between club and country and professional and amateur. It would end the push to remove the salary cap. It would establish a long-term, sustainable financial model.

For all these reasons and the fact that it requires vision and courage, it definitely won’t happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 15:51 by Lowerwatha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net