rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Master Chief
Team vs Sale
Master Chief (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 23:56
Looking at the injuries we have picked up and the players that are coming back through the Braves I would go with the following for Sale:

15 Phil Dollman
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Henry Slade
12 Ian Whitten
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Jack Maunder

1 Alec Hepburn
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Harry Williams
4 Toby Salmon
5 Ollie Atkins
6 Don Armand
7 Matt Kvesic
8 Sam Simmonds

16 Jack Yeandle
17 Ben Moon
18 Tomas Francis
19 Wilhelm van der Sluys
20 Tom Lawday
21 Stu Townsend
22 Joe Simmonds
23 Michele Campagnaro

Following his performances for the Braves Campo definitely deserves a chance. With Skinner out it would be good to see Sluys given an opportunity while the likes of Dennis etc are getting back up to speed. And although Lonsdale has done well as back row cover it would be good to see one of Freeman or Lawday show what they can do (especially looking ahead to the Autumn internationals when Simmonds should be away with England).

The likes of Ewers, Hill and Nowell will have to wait their turn, although when Nowell is ready it would be good to see Cordero moved to full back. It seems crazy having the likes of Nowell, Cordero and Cuthbert, along with Woodburn, competing for two wing births!! That being said, Bodilly has looked really sharp for the Braves too, so it would be good to see him given an opportunity in the first team at full back too. This has to be his season!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 23:58 by Master Chief.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Team vs Sale
Tribester (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 07:05
It's a tough call for RB, as always.

I thought Tom O'Flats looked the most dangerous back in the Braves game.

In Skins absence, I'd like to see Dave Dennis in as lock.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 13:17
I'm struggling to see why anyone would want to drop Dolly at the moment. He seems to me to be reliability personified. I can see Cordero's ability as an attacker, especially in broken play, but is he as solid under the high ball, etc as is required?

We are getting to the point where we have, effectively, two first teams (give or take a position or two). Saracens have been in this situation for some time and it is the state you need to be in to account for extended runs in various competitions and to fill in for absences on international duty. I think everyone will get plenty of rugby without taking radical selections just for the sake of it.

I'm happy to leave the selections to Rob, Ali, etc. They seem to me to be doing a decent job without my inexpert help!

Chilham
Chilham (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 16:36
What’s the news on Sam Skinner?

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 20:41
Team for me

Slade
Cuthbert
Campagnaro
Whitten
Cordero
Steenson
Townsend

Moon
LCD
Williams
Salmon
Dennis
Armand
Kvesic
Simmonds

Yeandle, Hepburn, Francis, Atkins, Lonsdale, Maunder, j Simmonds, Devoto

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 21:23
very interesting to see the team this week - don't envy the coaches - too much choice!

we have another braves game coming up so may see another strong lineup there to get everyone fully up to speed, but equally next up is Falcons away on the plastic, so that will have some bearing on selection for that game, and therefore probably this one too.

I'd imagine Dennis will come into the squad if Skinner is out.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 05:35
I would pick the same team as Master Chief. Maunder has to start, the Wasps game highlighted Stu's slow delivery. I also agree that Campo should start on the bench, didn't think he looked that sharp in the braves game. Bit sorry for Devoto though, he's been solid thus far.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 06:31
Quote:
Broken arrow
I would pick the same team as Master Chief. Maunder has to start, the Wasps game highlighted Stu's slow delivery. I also agree that Campo should start on the bench, didn't think he looked that sharp in the braves game. Bit sorry for Devoto though, he's been solid thus far.

Need to consider eqp too. MasterChief has 7 non eqp in his squad assuming vds is non eqp

Blackwater Tribe
Blackwater Tribe (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 08:06
Quote:
Broken arrow
Think Stu is getting some unfair stick from some on here. I thought out blocking and protection were poor against an aggressive Wasps play, which gave him very little help. I am sure this will be looked at by the coaches this week!

Broken arrow
Broken arrow (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 08:47
Stu is a good player but just needs to learn to pass off the floor, when he picks it up, has a look then takes a couple of steps, he loses the protection of his forwards and becomes a target for the opposition, not really the forwards fault imo. That delay also allows the opposition to press up and put pressure on the receiver. White and Maunder play the ball a lot quicker and off the floor, while the forwards are protecting the ball. A bit like with Ben Youngs, the couple of steps routine seems to be a natural habit.

Welsh Chief
Welsh Chief (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 15:11
15 Phil Dollman
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Henry Slade
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Santiago Cordero
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Stu Townsend

1 Alec Hepburn
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Tom Francis
4 Toby Salmon
5 Ollie Atkins
6 Don Armand
7 Matt Kvesic
8 Sam Simmonds

That would be the team for me, I can see an argument for changing Townsend as well but would give him at least 60 more minutes on Saturday before bringing on Maunder.

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 17:45
I would say that we would always need to start with one of Whitten or Sam Hill as one of the centres

Broken arrow
Broken arrow (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 17:51
Sam Hill was looking pretty damn good on Sunday for the Braves, when 100% fit he would be one of my first choice centres.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:47
Quote:
Broken arrow
Sam Hill was looking pretty damn good on Sunday for the Braves, when 100% fit he would be one of my first choice centres.

I've got to say, watching the Braves game, I thought exactly the same. Can't leave him out, nor Whits, Henrys got to be in, Devo looking great too!
Hang on.....

Blackwater Tribe
Blackwater Tribe (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 21:30
Quote:
Broken arrow
Stu is a good player but just needs to learn to pass off the floor, when he picks it up, has a look then takes a couple of steps, he loses the protection of his forwards and becomes a target for the opposition, not really the forwards fault imo. That delay also allows the opposition to press up and put pressure on the receiver. White and Maunder play the ball a lot quicker and off the floor, while the forwards are protecting the ball. A bit like with Ben Youngs, the couple of steps routine seems to be a natural habit.
Think your being rather one eyed. It's not always easy to pass that way, circumstance dictates. All 9's take a step at times, take a look at some of Nic's game time. If you look at Stu's performances up to our winning final and you will see he has a service as good as anyone.

MESSAGES->author
Brave new world (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:01
Joe Simmonds needs game time. He is not starting Braves games and needs a run. I have a feeling they may start him this game.

dwhite805
dwhite805 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 05:53
Personally I would give Henry a rest by putting him on the bench and starting Campo. I would also use this game to look at either Jack or Santiago at 15 [we need to work out options there].
The big call for me is 10. Joe was magic at the end of last season and if we don't give him time he wont develop at the pace he's capable of. He has to start this game both to learn and rest/ protect Gareth.

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 07:03
I agree that it would be good to start Joe at 10. Come the second half of the season we will need one of him or Gareth to really have nailed down the shirt. Northampton and Bath have proved over the last few seasons that it doesn’t pay to chop and change your 10s.

I also agree about Cordero or Nowell at full back. Or maybe even give Bodilly a go. Dollman has been good so far this season but he isn’t the long term option and we have tons of top class wingers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net