rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Chiefs 35 Sale 18
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:16
Sounds like a hard fought win! Still top 15 out of 15.!

MESSAGES->author
Re: Chiefs 35 Sale 18
clalan (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:04
Sale played well, and were street wise at scrum time imho, they got the free kicks, so well done to them.
Best thing is all the starters have now had a chance to get game time, Slade was superb again today.

MESSAGES->author
15 September, 2018 17:04
It was hard fought. Sale were gritty and gave us plenty of problems. Still no game in this league is a gimme. Maximum points is everything we could ask for. I think we missed Kvesic. He's becoming pretty much a must-pick IMO.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:16
Definitely a hard fought victory and a very welcome 5 points.
Slade was excellent especially after taking that early knock.
I think we were a little naive at times and we got very little joy at scrum time.
Sale are a very well coached side.... very happy to get that win.

MESSAGES->author
Brave new world (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:59
Sale back out of the engagement which bought them.plenty of free kicks at scrum time. When they didn't we got a penalty.

Henry deserved man of the match but could easily have been Maunder great pass, tackled everything and was always on the shoulder of whoever made a break.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:04
Given such late disruption to the backrow, I'm delighted with the win. We massively missed Kvesic, and I'm surprised Sale didn't do more damage there, given they had both Curry's with free rein.

Very good game from Slade and Nowell, Lawday did really well in chasing back to tackle the Sale breakout, followed soon after with his try.

Hopefully Don's hip is not too bad, although he seems to have been nursing it for a few weeks, so will probably appreciate the week off against Falcons.

Sale did pretty well, but think they will regret not going to the corner just before half time. They needed to be +5pts ahead at half time I think to have a chance given the wind, and overall, I think they will be disappointed to lose given the disruption to the Chiefs team in such a crucial department.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:16
Firstly a huge well done to a very gritty, determined Sale side today, I think the score flattered us tbh.

Henry was brilliant, Jack Maunder looked so accomplished, but we certainly missed Matt and Sam today. But 5 points in the bag after a pretty average display will do us.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:41
should have added, Maunder playing 75mins was a great effort given he has barely played for months.

Jehovas Sandals
15 September, 2018 18:50
Does anyone know why the two yellows came about? Just seemed like a bunch of handbags to me.... I do think Dickson could have stepped in sooner to diffuse the situation, he was right in the thick of it

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:06
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Does anyone know why the two yellows came about? Just seemed like a bunch of handbags to me.... I do think Dickson could have stepped in sooner to diffuse the situation, he was right in the thick of it

Maunder was trying to point out the Sale player over the ball, Jono Ross came round offside and took out Maunder and I believe Jonny Hill caught him with a stiff swinging arm in reaction to taking out Maunder. Wasn't clear to see though from where I was.

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:14
He suggested that Jonny Hill might have thrown a punch and their 6 overreacted but TMO said he didn't think there was anything worthy of a yellow card but Ref went his own way. Oh and he took no notice of Jack Maunder being thrown to ground off the ball which started the ruckus

Jehovas Sandals
15 September, 2018 19:20
There were a couple of comments suggesting Dickson ignored TMO.
Maunder getting flung to the floor looked the worse act from where I was..... Seeing that will indeed provoke a reaction.

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:22
Well if ever a game showed how much we missed the energy and dog of Sam Simmonds and Matt Kvesic this was it...
Lawday did ok but I'm not sure Lonsdale really delivered...that said maybe he needs more time..can't help thinking we have better options like Freeman and various others though.
Sooner Dave Dennis, Dave Ewers, Mitch Lees et al are properly fit the better..
Ollie Atkins looks better for the game time...

Overall though if we can give away that many penalties, with a disrupted team against dogged players like Sale and still get 5 points can't ge bad.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:44
Quote:
Brent1
Well if ever a game showed how much we missed the energy and dog of Sam Simmonds and Matt Kvesic this was it...

Yep, in a nutshell, to have two thirds of the best back row unit in the Prem removed at such short notice made all the difference today.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:55
Credit to Sale for giving us a very tough battle in the first half but the fact that we were able to step up a gear in the second half says a lot - still can't ask for more!

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:00
Silly penalty`s in the first half ,central,between the halfway and ten metre line,with a following wind were dumb and we must smarten up on that.Sale understood very early on that we were dominant at scrum and played us very streetwise at that.
Slade on fire,Santiago looking increasingly dangerous.Bitty performance but strength and commitment came through.Must do better though.

We look almost unstoppable when picking and going inside five meters.Great patience and strength shown there.

Great credit to Sale,very dogged and canny team who really came to play.With De Klerk and Ashton unavailable perhaps we were fortunate to play them now.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 06:55
According to RB, Both Simmonds and Kvesic where very late withdrawls from the Squad, Hopefully nothing serious, Townsend carrying an injury but as per RB isn't that serious.

The cool light of day hasn't really changed my perspective on the game, Devoto and Nowell both looked sharp, Lawday looks like another Dave Ewers and will only get better. Thought Jack Maunder looked sharp. Chiefs big game experience and quality carried them through that game, I suspect any other side would have crumbled towards the end of the game but Chiefs clicked back into their normal mode following a bit of a bodge-job in the first half.

Sale didn't bow down and credit to them for that, Far from a classic performance but a win is a win and I suspect RB and Ali will be not satisfied with a number of parts of the game.

Only Exeter can win with a bonus point at home and still think its a below par performance, Its a nice position to be to be honest...

Newcastle away will be a completely different challenge...

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 07:44
And as usual Henry = Class.

chief in exile
chief in exile (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 08:30
To win against a side that many feel will finish in the top 6, with 9 changes is a fantastic result. Lees, Skinner, Ewers, Simmonds, White, Kvesic, Townsend, Woodburn, Whitten, Hill, Campagnaro would all have a good chance of being in our Match day 23. In the recent past only Sarries would have that kind of squad depth and quality to get a 5 point win against quality opposition.

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 10:03
I thought Lawday had a very strong game for debut- a fantastic chase back to deny a potential try and to score himself. Should remember playing in back row with another debutant plus Don was carrying a knock for most of the game would never be an easy task. I really think he has a good future ahead of him.

All the backs played well and Dolly is playing at the top of his game this season and talk of replacing him with others is premature for me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net