rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Jehovas Sandals
Offsides at kick off
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 16:29
Seems to be largely ignored now. Lost count at the number of times Sale were offside yesterday and we were too once or twice. Watching Wasps v Tigers and TMO has told Sir to keep an eye on it.
I wish there was consistency in these areas.
Would it not be a good idea to have a regular team of officials that officiated at matches together?

I drink and forget stuff!

Chiefs
Re: Offsides at kick off
Chiefs (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 16:45
At lease Wasps were consistent.......They were ALL in front the kicker!

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 17:04
If it's only marginal, and no tactical benefit is gained, then let the boys play.

I don't want to start seeing stoppages for every 2 inches offside decision, or play stopped for the TMO to decide if someone was an inch ahead of the kicker or not, or whether someone has grounded the ball on their foot or the turf, before play continues.

Let the ref (+ ARs) decide on the hoof and keep the game flowing IMHO. It maybeb won't allways be right when viewed later several times in slowmo, but the game will benefit as a spectacle.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 17:37
Quote:
Tribester
If it's only marginal, and no tactical benefit is gained, then let the boys play.
I don't want to start seeing stoppages for every 2 inches offside decision, or play stopped for the TMO to decide if someone was an inch ahead of the kicker or not, or whether someone has grounded the ball on their foot or the turf, before play continues.

Let the ref (+ ARs) decide on the hoof and keep the game flowing IMHO. It maybeb won't allways be right when viewed later several times in slowmo, but the game will benefit as a spectacle.

I'm all for letting the game flow but there are numerous occasions when players are more than a few inches offside. If it's not addressed how long will it be before players are 6 foot in advance if the kicker before he's taken kick off?

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 20:36
Anorher issue is the kicker stealing half a metre or a metre over the half way line.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 21:50
Quote:
Geronimo Jim
Anorher issue is the kicker stealing half a metre or a metre over the half way line.

Always reminded of the challenge cup game years ago when steeno was freekicked for kicking off over the half way line. A look of bemusement followed.

Never seen that called by a ref before or since

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 21:53
I think it stopped being an issue btw when you could no longer kick long for a 22 drop out. Gaining a foot or two as the kicker restarting now has no benefit that I can think of. The chasers is a different matter!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 21:54 by fatheralice.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:52
Quote:
fatheralice
I think it stopped being an issue btw when you could no longer kick long for a 22 drop out. Gaining a foot or two as the kicker restarting now has no benefit that I can think of. The chasers is a different matter!

It may be minor but your still gaining ground illegally. If someone gains a metre because of an offside infringement the crowd tends to get a bit tetchy, what's the difference?

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 19:47
For the chasers I agree, but the kicker is only trying to land the ball on a certain point anyway, so whether he kicks it 13m or 14m to get to that point is a bit moot, as he is clearly capable of kicking the ball much further, so gaining a meter is of no significance, it is more about distance control, so you could argue having a more strictly enforced restart point would actually make their job easier.

When you were able to boot it dead from the restart to force a 22 drop out, gaining a few yards would be more useful as not all kickers had the legs to reach the deadball line, esp at Murryfield!

Obviously defenders over the offside line and kick chasers have a lot to gain from being closer to their target, so it is more important that these areas are properly enforced.

It was interesting how much Wasps struggled with the timing of the chase with Sopoanga, as they had obviously not had much training with him to learn his cues. I think the TMO had to step in on that one, as it was getting a bit embarrassing for the on-field officials.

Wampum
Wampum (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 11:02
And we're never offside of course(!)

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 20:14
It’s really not that difficult to stop this practice - simply penalise the first offence it won’t happen again.

Officials ignoring this ‘clear and obvious offiside’’are giving the kicking team an advantage which should not happen.

Why the officials do not spot it or ignore it is quite bizarre the assistant referees have very little to do as it is in a game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net