rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Axe Chief
Young Mr Ridley
Axe Chief (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 11:45
Andy Goode
‏
@AndyGoode10
Follow Follow @AndyGoode10
More
Referees get criticised regularly and rarely get praised, for me Christophe Ridley is having a cracking game in the @bathrugby v @ExeterChiefs @premrugby match

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A respected independent view? Well I think so. I have enjoyed his commentary for the Top 14 League as he always seems to give a calm, balanced, authoritative opinion.
Referees will not get everything right when there are 30 incidents taking place all at once, but so far Christophe has come over as measured and calm and get most things right.
A good replacement when Wayne hangs up his boots.

Exeforever
Re: Young Mr Ridley
Exeforever (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 12:03
Agreed. Also given that he was a scrum half he probably knows a lot more about what goes on in front rows than most of the armchair critics.

We do need to sort out our lineout though.

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 14:45
it was his 9th Premiership game and 3rd of those featuring the Chiefs

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 15:02
I was impressed with his officiating of our game at Wasps. He cemented that last night at Barf.... Cool, calm and confident. We criticise referees quickly...the blinkered ones on the Barf forum are....... Well played Sir

I drink and forget stuff!

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 15:45
Bath not overly impressed though!

CullyChief
CullyChief (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 16:37
Just watched the match back. Calmly this time! Reinforced my initial impression of how well he reffed the game. Already his is one of the names you hope to see when ‘sir’ is announced. The hysterical nonsense coming off the Bath board at the moment is absolutely ridiculous.

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 19:44
Balanced, consistent and doesn't appear to be influenced by loud voices !!
Good man.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 19:54
Thought he had a very good game. To be fair to Bath fans, they are not helped by a lack of reflink at the rec, so are in the dark for most of the game -installation is impossible apparently as they can't put the aerial up, as there is no roof to fix it too!(Sm133)

Seriously, at the game there were a few incidents I was questioning but having watched the game back with the ref mike, he explained things very clearly, and missed very little.
An example was the TMO question for our try. Not knowing the question asked at the game creates quite a different atmosphere, as fans expect and then are outraged when they don't see clear evidence.

I am a big fan of knowing what is being said by the ref during the game, as it has a massive impact on how I view an incident. Really think PRL should be demanding Brucie sorts it out, as there was quite a hostile environment at the end, as the ref walked off, with one Bath fan absolutely losing the plot, and threatening the ref, which I am sure he would not have done, had he had access to the ref audio during the game.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:24
All that money and no reflink and only one big screen that I could see? Ridiculous to see Sir walk the length of the pitch to watch a replay then have to go back down the other end again!
On the note of not knowing the question Sir asked,is it not possible to put the question up on the ONE screen or make an announcement over the tannoy?

MESSAGES->author
06 October, 2018 20:52
Yes but why should such a distinguished and revered club such as Bath RFC be expected to keep up with basic modern technology?
Their team doesn't seem to adjust to modern play.
Their supporters are stuck in the past, with the referee the normal culprit for their recent loss or their opponents just not playing the way they think that they should.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

MESSAGES->author
Chudders Chief (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 06:58
Agree that referee is good and has potential for a long career at the top of this profession. Also agree about the one screen. Very 2nd division. They have however got ref link. They were a bit late switching on!

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 07:13
I praised this ref after the Wasps game, he is calm and knows the game as he once was a 9. He was clear with his hand signals, so there should be no issue with people understanding most of it. The big screen is it permanent now? It used to be supplied by the television company. After all these years in a billionaires hands, you would have thought more improvements would have been made.
As with Dixon, it does help if a referee has played the game at a resonable level, he imho has been improving each match. I have noticed some TMOs seem to be BT led at live games, the commentators mention something then seconds later the TMO intervenes, this happened at our Falcons game. Not a complaint as the game is so fast and the ref cannot see everything. Our stupid tackling off the ball, a good example, anticipation of a pass does not mean it will happen, and was rightly punished.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:10
Doh! Gave up trying after first few minutes.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:42
Quote:
clalan
I praised this ref after the Wasps game, he is calm and knows the game as he once was a 9. He was clear with his hand signals, so there should be no issue with people understanding most of it. The big screen is it permanent now? It used to be supplied by the television company. After all these years in a billionaires hands, you would have thought more improvements would have been made.
As with Dixon, it does help if a referee has played the game at a resonable level, he imho has been improving each match. I have noticed some TMOs seem to be BT led at live games, the commentators mention something then seconds later the TMO intervenes, this happened at our Falcons game. Not a complaint as the game is so fast and the ref cannot see everything. Our stupid tackling off the ball, a good example, anticipation of a pass does not mean it will happen, and was rightly punished.

They can't hear the commentary. The delay is probably because they're reviewing footage / angles before intervening.

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 07:26
Quote:
fatheralice
Doh! Gave up trying after first few minutes.
Me too! (Sm164)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net