rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

fisher
relegation
fisher (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 07:59
I see that it is rearing its head again! Would any Exeter fan support there being a ring fence I certainly would not and would hope that our club would also not support it.You can always make a case for ring fencing but would it in the long term improve the situation or make it worse!

Exeforever
Re: relegation
Exeforever (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:25
Whilst there is a possibility of a "major" club being relegated then the ring fence argument won't go away.

However it did neither Northampton nor Quins any harm and there are supporters on both Tigers' and Bath's boards who are arguing that it would do their respective clubs good given where they currently are.

I do wonder what would happen about Bath as the Wreck is nowhere near meeting the ground criteria that applied to us or to any aspirant members of the Premiership.....

Wampum
Wampum (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 09:59
Bath just announced new ground plan in The Times.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 10:38
Quote:
Wampum
Bath just announced new ground plan in The Times.

Letís hope they get started this time, so many false dawns due to bloody minded individuals amongst the Rec trustees putting a spoke in the wheels. I have no doubt Bath would make the necessary improvements, on a temporary basis if necessary, to meet the Premiership requirements, they already have the capacity of 10k. Their biggest problem, should they be relegated, would be keeping Mr Craigís interest.

Wouldnít be surprised to see the Premiership increased to 13 or even 14 teams with a moritorium on relegation/promotion to allow both Premiership and Championship teams to improve facilities.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 11:35
It would be the death of decent rugby, a thirds of the season would be made up of dead games. Only thing worth playing for would be (like the Irish) the European cup, who gives a jot about the league.
Most of the league would still make a loss, as attendances would plummet including season ticket holders.
Meanwhile the lower leagues would contract, and rugby will be a more minority sport than it is.
What is really needed is less RFU cash to premiership and more to the championship so they can improve. Maybe ringfence the Championship and open every other year for lower division.

Chief Cymraeg
Chief Cymraeg (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 13:12
Its a terrible idea. The Prem would end up like the Pro 14 when the top players only play league games as warm ups for Europe or playoffs. - I read that Jonny Sexton played for Leinster 5 times in Pro 14 last year. Just look at the difference in attendance & TV money between the 2 leagues. A large part of this is competitive games throughout the year, with the jeopardy of relegation.

So if one or two of the "big" clubs are in a scrap and end up relegated. Suck it up. It's part of the deal and what makes the Premiership so successful.

Little Minnie
Little Minnie (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:25
Closing the door would be disastrous!!!! The only reason there is a panic is because some 'big' clubs are near the bottom! Tough! Play better rugby and you will rise to the top! So wrong on many levels.....

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 13:17
Quote:
Chief Cymraeg
Its a terrible idea. The Prem would end up like the Pro 14 when the top players only play league games as warm ups for Europe or playoffs. - I read that Jonny Sexton played for Leinster 5 times in Pro 14 last year. Just look at the difference in attendance & TV money between the 2 leagues. A large part of this is competitive games throughout the year, with the jeopardy of relegation.
So if one or two of the "big" clubs are in a scrap and end up relegated. Suck it up. It's part of the deal and what makes the Premiership so successful.

That sums it up for me too.

I hear people say it will bring better rugby because without the threat of relegation, coaches won't be afraid to experiment or use young players. Well we've seen plenty of young players used this season at Chiefs, so I do not accept that.

Get a good academy going and as long as the financial rewards for this are recognised when setting salary caps, then this is the way to go.

Admittedly teams like Bristol had to buy in big name players to get promotion and then to remain in the Premiership, but they must be financially encouraged to develop and keep their own young players in the long run. So must every other team.

The RFU should be supporting the Championship and academies to ensure succession of their business, not just for short term and million pound salaries.

I certainly donít want to turn up every other week at Sandy Park and learn that our top 4 props, Sladey, Jack and Simmo are all being rested for 10 weeks ahead of the Six Nations, I want to see them play at Sandy Park, and the same goes for the visiting teams. I want to see the likes of big Billy, Farrell, Cippers showing us what they can do.

I donít want the Pro14 league set-up where by Christmas, if you arenít in with a chance of coming top then you can put a second/third team out and not care if you donít win because coming bottom has no meaning. Iíd cancel my season ticket and go and watch the lads on the local field every Saturday instead, buying a ticket only for meaningful games.

I understand they are businesses and clubs want some security to attract new sponsors/owners, but the negative aspect far out weighs this in my opinion.

No to ring fencing.

fisher
fisher (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:33
Amen to that Tribester well put.

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:45
100% Agree

"Get on Exe"

MESSAGES->author
minuteman (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:50
What Tribester says

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 22:45
Ditto.

Is there a counter argument out there?

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 09:37
Only that the powers that be have got to find a way closing the gap between the leagues so that the current system can be allowed to exist - fairer distribution of the finances?

chiefswatcher
chiefswatcher (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 10:10
The cynic in me simply looks at the financial deal coming the Prem way from a (I think) private equity company. That company will be looking for a return and sadly the powers that be think that a ring-fenced Prem will allow the generation of more money.

Turnstile fans tend to be low on the decision making processes. What I think decision makers may be over-estimating is the difference in the commitment of the average rugby fan to other sports, particularly football and F1. Both seem to be able to sell out no matter what the price. I'm thinking that a good deal of rugby season ticket fans will stop the season and pick and choose the matches they want to see. If those matches are the last third of the season with nothing to play for then there will be a good deal of no-shows.

I also worry about the last part of the season's results being skewed. One team's run in may be against the top three, another against the bottom three who are 'experimenting' and nothing to play for, as opposed to the bottom three team desperate to avoid relegation.

Footy Chief
Footy Chief (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 19:11
My only counter argument would be whether it benefits the national side! I get a lot from watching Chiefs and the premiership but the national side is as important if not more to me.

If ringfencing benefited England then I would probably support it

MESSAGES->author
07 December, 2018 20:16
Quote:
Footy Chief
My only counter argument would be whether it benefits the national side! I get a lot from watching Chiefs and the premiership but the national side is as important if not more to me.
If ringfencing benefited England then I would probably support it

And that is the fork in the road where we seperate, FC. In all honesty "never mind a loss" if England lose is compared to a week of anguish when Chiefs lose in my psyche.

Each to his/her own I guess.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 20:44
Me too SPD ... We are so very spoilt by our Chiefs

"Get on Exe"

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 21:56
Same here,Chiefs first,then England.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 23:30
I don't give a toss about England compared to the Chiefs.

MESSAGES->author
08 December, 2018 18:36
I would suggest a petition from all Premiership clubs supporters saying that they would not attend their clubs home match against the bottom placed club in the season after the ring fence. Season ticket holders as well.

The stats WOULD show the beliefs of the clubs respective supporters.

I don't know how to set this up but I would support anyone who has the knowledge to create this.

(Sm71)

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net