rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Exeforever
Premiership Cup Farce
Exeforever (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:42
So today's two games feature sides that need to win to qualify versus sides with nothing to play for. Add in that the sides that need to win play one week after their rivals for qualification and therefore know what they need to achieve in order to qualify, right down to the points difference that they require and guess what? They achieve just that.

We also have a competition that sells itself on showing us the stars of the future and Worcester, in particular, play their first 23 in 3 of their 4 games (and lose the one where they put out a development 23).

We used to think that the old AW format was mad but this season's which, yes, has seen us eliminated without losing a single game, is just barking for all of the above reasons.

Two simple tweaks would make it much more fair:

No player who has started in any of the three preceding Premiership games should be eligible (with an injury dispensation for front rows)

All qualification-critical matches should have to be played at the same time (like the last day of the regular season games).

You could even make it a competition with 2 conferences of 6 teams - as they have used 5 game days this year; with either top v second in other conference semis or best 4 teams qualifying for the semis irrespective of conference.

alas
Re: Premiership Cup Farce
alas (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:12
Exeter had qualification entirely in their own hands. A bonus point win against Bristol would have secured a home semi final regardless of today's results.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:21
Or just kill it off, as they are going to do next season anyway?

Crazy to have the final round matches played over 2 weekends, and entirely predictable that the required results transpired.

Beating Bristol First XV with our seconds / Thirds last week, when they had massively targeted it, was the highlight for me and far more satisfying than qualifying due to another team with nothing to play for, not losing by less than 9 points, as we were hoping for today.
Whilst it would be nice for the squad to have another game or two, and a trophy to hunt, As a fan, I can't really get too worked up by progressing or not. The key thing imo is the competition has been a success for Chiefs and brilliant development for the youngsters, with players like Keast really earning his spurs in driving home that Pen Try at the end

Whether other clubs can say the same is debatable, or indeed if they will welcome the extra 2 games.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:35
I have no argument with teams playing stronger teams if that is their priority. We did the same when we won it first so we can't have it both ways.
If I was a Worcester supporter I would be very happy to think we took a game seriously when there is some potential silverware in the offing to offer some respite from struggling in the league. Very important for moral and it was a relatively strong team for Wasps. Boy are Wasps struggling at the moment whether they are missing players or not that was poor from them.
There was no integrity in the scheduling of these final rounds over 2 different weekends and if the organisers don't treat it as a serious competition by organising it as such then it tells you all you need to know about the future of the competition really.
Shame as it should be an important competition

Chief RedWine
Chief Redwine (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:44
Not sure Falcons need the distraction of two more matches given their parlous league position.

Scuff
Scuff (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:48
Quote:
alas
Exeter had qualification entirely in their own hands. A bonus point win against Bristol would have secured a home semi final regardless of today's results.
True enough, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid format that hands the advantage to the teams playing last - it sucks in the 6 nations too. I also don't know why rugby persists with 'X best placed runners up also qualify for the next round rubbish too.
Bring in the top 8 Championship clubs to make 4 groups & ditch the needlessly complicated cross-group thing. 4 groups of 5 teams, and winners go through (or winners and runners up, if they need an extra game for TV cash).

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 20:03
Every team goes into a competition knowing the qualification requirements. As said if we had beaten Bristol with a BP it would be us going through.
Anyhow.... I think its a dead competition. I'd be surprised if its around for long.

I drink and forget stuff!

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 20:50
So let me get this straight.....a team who have won 3 matches and drew 1 (chiefs) have been knocked out on points (or score aggregate differences) to a team with a general losing record this season who have acquired the maximum 5 points allocation in a game on international weekend within a "supposedly" developmental league amongst the final block of games WEEKS (edit: last week, but it certainly feels alot longer tbh) after we last played our own final fixture, which were clearly approached by the majority no differently, according to roster scheduling, to a regular premiership fixture....!? Hmmm....seems legit! I wouldn't call it hubris from my end, but that is cr@p, which ever way you try to spin it! Interesting!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 20:57 by Roy_AE.

MESSAGES->author
03 February, 2019 20:51
I agree with ZH and I've said it on here more than once, its up to the clubs how they approach this competition and we were critisised for playing our strongest team the first time we won it. Personally I would be happy for Worceter to win it. IMO Warriors are a descent club with friendly supporters who struggle every season.
However the scheduling seems to be unfair to the sides who played last weekend. As a Chiefs supporter looking at the bigger picture I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. There are bigger targets to aim for.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Scuff
Scuff (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 22:00
Agreed on the 'development competition' call. I don't think that's written anywhere - if it was there'd be rules about how many U21 or whatever you have to play. Shame Exe are out, but mainly because I like to see the the rest of the squad doing their thing.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 23:20
It has always been a stupid format, let teams field who they want, its up to them. Just move on, we have bigger fish to fry.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 11:42
Getting knocked out despite finishing the competition unbeaten is annoying at multiple levels, particularly as we had a pretty good record in the last few years of the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

It's also going to be wierd to have the Chiefs not playing for two weeks in a row, even thouh there's the Six Nations going on.

What's done is done however...so let's just focus on the league for now.

MESSAGES->author
Brave new world (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 14:32
There is a 500k first prize which may have motivated some teams to put out a more experienced side.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 16:01
It's a total prize fund of 500K, money for every win, throughout the competition.

The regs say "Clubs shall be entitled to receive the following meritocracy
payments in the 2018/19 Premiership Rugby Cup competition:
 20,000 +VAT for a Pool win or where a pool match is drawn each of the clubs in the drawn
match shall be entitled to 50% of the winner fee, being 10,000 + VAT each;
 20,000 + VAT for a Semi-Final win;
 30,000 + VAT for Final winner;
 10,000 + VAT for Runner Up."

It's also a trophy in the cabinet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net