rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Master Chief
Daly
Master Chief (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 08:54
Daly confirmed to Sarries. A similar signing to us signing Hogg.

Aside from the obvious salary cap question, they have assembled a formidable squad with a significant amount of game changers, including half of the England pack. Of course we have our own stars but nowhere near as many. Just read the following list.. M.Vunpola, George, Koch, Itoje, Kruis, Skelton, Isiekwe, Rhodes, Burger, B.Vunipola, Farrell, Daly, Williams, Maitland, Goode etc etc. I canít help but feel we could do with maybe one more influential player in our pack.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Daly
clalan (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 09:36
I don't know how they do it, seeing how much its has cost us to keep Slade, how do Sarries manage to keep such a good high profile team.
Apart from Alex, we only promoted Academy players this season, and let two players go, we are at the Salary Cap.
They have a fabulous team up there, lets hope we can retain our young stars to become a reel force.
The pack in general is quite young, they will grow together and from that build strength.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 12:23
Hogg,Woodburn Cuthbert,Nowell,Slade,Devoto,Whitten,Hill S,Simmons J,Steenson,White,Simmons S,Williams,Yendle,Cowan Dickie,Moon,Hepburn,Francis,Skinner,Hill,Ewers,Armand,Dennis,Kvesic.

All stars and influential players in my mind.

Not too shabby ourselfs imo.People are very good at looking at others team sheet and saying `WoW`.Our team is the envey of many,lets not forget that!
(i havnt even mentioned alot of the young guns and old beys!)

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 16:17
It's very easy to assume that when looking, from the outside - in, towards the saracens roster quality, but then again they are also in the very enviable position (same as the chiefs) in that players just simply do not want to walk away from the saracens structure and fortifiable position! It begs the question....."are players prepared to walk away from a decent culture towards a less productive and unsuccessful one just for an increase in personal capital, or would players prefer to stay with a team in a very good position, even if it means earning slightly less....?" Culture isn't the Be - or - end - all, but it plays a massive part in development, mental prolifigancy and overall morale from the collective! With the exception of santi, who I feel is only being let go purely from the perspective of...."don't let us stop you from getting it in and earning more money whilst you still can, as it would be duly unfair to pay you considerably less than you deserve just because we have to balance some books via fairplay rules and such & such etc!" No other players, generally, really ever leave our team unless they are near the end of their careers, planning to go home or are surplus to requirements! So when I hear the likes of will chudley give some media trained answer like....."I've had a sit down with Todd black adder, and I like what he has to say, and the direction this club is going, it was a no - brainer blah, blah!" In reality, he is basically saying that I can no longer sit on the side lines waiting for my chance to shine again when the competition is so fierce for my position in exeter! Just like saracens, nobody necessarily leaves the culture and environment within the chiefs very easily, even if that means earning less then elsewhere! This is a good, as well as in some cases BAD, headache to have, as I could imagine it was pretty difficult allowing campo and santi to leave for clubs purely by red tape in some respects!

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 21:30
It's a great shame, firstly because he is not coming to us, and secondly for the premiership that a great player is going to the most dominant team and going to make them even better.

As said above if you are Owen Farrell you are not going to leave Sarries for another English club, and if you want to play for England you are not going to play abroad

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 17:41
Roy_AE that's a very interesting post and I think in some instances players are prepared to walk away.

Christian Judge the Pirates prop would be a great example. Talent-spotted by Sarries and brought in as injury-cover this season and impressed so much that Sarries tried to offer him a full-time contract.

I honestly don't know what the reason or combination thereof where for him choosing Bath but you can probably choose from; Sarries couldn't match what Bath offered (shocking I know!) he wanted to play closer to home, he felt he had a better chance of breaking into the starting XV, etc so it does happen although I think you're probably right that it's less likely with an established squad player.

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 23:40
The case of christian judge is quite an interesting one! A young prop (only 4 years younger then me) pinpointed and scoured for injury cover for one of the best club teams in Europe, and left such a promising aura that the powers in be even offered him a contract to stay at the Allianz! For him to turn it down....maybe he felt that come domestic duty he may be reverted back to a third - fiddle player! That is mere speculation on my part, or indeed perhaps he wanted greater job guarantees in the form of a contract where his qualities will more relied upon from the get - go! That being said.....if exeter chiefs came calling at the same time would he of turned us down for similar reasons!? Possibly, but what other reason (or doubt) would he have where he turns down a team with a terrific culture and successful resume for a team which.....isn't? You could compare him in a way to will witty, who has been heavily linked with us merely as an international cover sort of player if anything, but the chiefs do not go scouring for players that often, so I could imagine that some players will look at us like some sort of "golden ticket" opportunity, if that makes sense, and when it comes to securing an established player who is being enticed by these very notions on AND off the pitch, then you can't really look much further than Stuart hogg! He isn't just a great player from Scotland, he's basically the poster child of the entire organisation up there! He would of gotten 7 figure contracts offered to him on a plate, but he is also kept the needs of his family and their wellbeing in just as high regards to any financial incentive! What also gave him just as much incentive aswell was the nature of the team he opted for! I mean....would he of, instead, gone for Bristol bears, or even Bath, if they offered him a Charles piatau - like contract instead...? Honestly I really can't see it, especially considering that it took the right location at the right time for him to leave Glasgow after 9 years, but he is definitely an exceptional example when talking about a fantastic and established player who's motivations steers clear, to a specific degree, from a financial narrative as a prime influence for his move above everything else!

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:22
Quote:
Roy_AE
The case of christian judge is quite an interesting one! A young prop (only 4 years younger then me)
Blimey Roy didn't know we had any youngsters on this site, thought they were all old f**ts like me (Sm163)

boston chief
boston chief (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:37
Steady on Moorsman, I resemble that remark!!! I haven't reached a century on this planet just yet!

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 16:01
Hahahaha.....i dunno, it would definitely be a sight if the members on this forum decided to meet and greet for the first time at the opening home game next season, and I end up rocking up....this nerd - ish kid, who turns 30 this upcoming June, who spends his spare time prepping for powerlifting and strongman comps! I could imagine it would take quite a few by surprise!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 16:02 by Roy_AE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net