rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Tiverton Brave
A premiership Trophy?
Tiverton Brave (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 09:02
I've been having a discussion with my 11 year old son about why the team that wins the Premiership league never gets any trophy.

We can't find any reason as to why this strange anomaly occurs as in every other sport, the team that comes top of the league wins the appropriate trophy.

Footie does it, the rugby championship does it (we got it and promotion too), the BUCS league gives one- Exeter Uni have claimed it for the second year running.

Is there any reason why this omission occurs and is it worth beginning to nag 'Gallagher' to create a 'League champions' trophy.

[Thoughts of 'doing the double' are running through my mind smiling smiley]

Bag Inton
Re: A premiership Trophy?
Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 09:52
Hahahaha...talk to a Gloucester fan on that one......

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 12:23
I believe that the first year (or two) of the playoffs there was a league winners trophy and the playoff was regarded as a separate thing with its own trophy.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 12:32
Since the implementation of the playoff system, only four teams have won both the regular season and playoffs in the same year; Leicester in 200001 (the first year of the playoffs) and again in 200809 and 200910, Sale Sharks in 200506, Harlequins 201112 and Saracens in 2015-16.
Of all the Premiership teams, Wasps have made a reputation for playing the competition format to perfection, peaking at the right time to be crowned English Champions in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2008. Wasps did not lead the league standings at the end of the season in any of these years.
Gloucester have garnered an unfortunate reputation for leading the table at the end of the regular season, only to fall short of winning the Premiership title, losing finals in 2003, 2007 and 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2019 12:33 by Lowerwatha.

Tiverton Brave
13 March, 2019 18:22
Well, we here in Tiverton think that there should be a 'league winners ' title and trophy awarded to the team that has proved to be the best side after 22 rounds of premiership rugby. If these winners then went on to beat the other sides in the play offs....that's an added bonus.
Time to start a 'we want a trophy'' campaign!!
COYC.

chiefs-fan85
Weegie Chief (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 20:10
Im sure Bristol fans would also be in favour of the team finishing top of the league winning the big prize!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 21:27
Wasnt the original thought that teams with heavy commitments during the international windows might be compensated if the top four had to play off?

Daft idea.

If you are the most consistent team in the league in the season you should win the trophy.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:55
Its all about money i`m afraid;semi finals,finals= extra cash!!

Tiverton Brave
14 March, 2019 11:19
My thoughts were to keep the play-offs as usual, not abandon them. I know that's a 'money spinner' for Premiership Rugby and a good day out too.

I just thought that it was about time that the team that finished top of the league after 22 rounds should be rewarded for their efforts. After all, it is no mean feat to win this League given the quality of the teams in it.

SimonG19
SimonG19 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 13:32
Quote:
Tiverton Brave
My thoughts were to keep the play-offs as usual, not abandon them. I know that's a 'money spinner' for Premiership Rugby and a good day out too.
I just thought that it was about time that the team that finished top of the league after 22 rounds should be rewarded for their efforts. After all, it is no mean feat to win this League given the quality of the teams in it.

Totally agree. I believe they do that in rugby league don't they?

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 14:22
Suggestion:

Drop the play-offs and award the top club with a Premiership League Trophy.

In addition I'd like to see the Prem and top 4 from the Champ (16 in all) in a knockout for a trophy. Irrespective of what happens regarding the closing off of the Prem, this will give something for the Champ teams to battle for and demonstrate their potential for the Premiership should the opportunity be presented in the future - which I think it should be.

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
26 March, 2019 11:16
Bumped in view of similar posts on other threads.

alas
alas (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 10:15
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Tiverton Brave

Totally agree. I believe they do that in rugby league don't they?

They do, but only play-off winner counts. The 'League Leader's Shield' is dismissed as the Hubcap.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 10:48
Quote:
They do, but only play-off winner counts. The 'League Leader's Shield' is dismissed as the Hubcap

Thats the point of it,there is only one premiership winners trophy. Whats the point of another trophy that is of a lesser value?
I have always thought it pointless to award the winners of the playoffs in football a trophy,the respective league winners have already won the league and been awarded a trophy.

samlee99
samlee99 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:28
Well most sports have lesser trophies but that's no reason not to award them.

Maybe in the seasons when Saracens win the Premiership they could award a separate trophy for the highest finishing team who didn't break the salary cap. That trophy would be regarded as far superior.

Stopsy
Stopsy (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:29
I think Leicester may be to blame here, we were the only club to vote against the Play Offs, the rest made up excuses like levelling the playing field for teams with lots of 6N and AI absences, at the time Leicester suffered most from this. As said above it was all about money.

When we won the inaugural season league we fielded a very much second string team in the Play Offs, the sponsors didn't like it, so the money men did away with the purest mark of success, finishing top of the pile at the end of the season. And, in my opinion devalued the league in doing so.

JimJam350
JimJam350 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 14:59
Agreed Stopsy.

I will think the play offs are a good idea when Premier League football adopt then to decide the league winners!

Stopsy
Stopsy (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 19:08
Im happy to have an end of season money making jamboree as an adjunct to the league but not replacing it as the top domestic prize. I suspect if the cash wasnt divided 12 ways, there would be less enthusiasm for them.

Derbyshire Fan
derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 22:54
As a Sarries fan, I would be very happy for there to be a trophy for the team that comes top of the regular season - but we have playoffs and we can't now get rid of them, without a radical rethink of how we play out the season

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net