rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Folauís comments
minuteman (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 15:18
Given how divisive and inflammatory his recent comments are.. can anyone confirm if our chaps have a code of conduct / covenant etc to abide by ... if we do , do others also ? ..

Exeforever
Re: Folauís comments
Exeforever (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 16:58
I think the rapid departures of Messrs Mieres and Arscott demonstrates that the club has an unusually high (for today) set of moral standards. As such I don't believe that behaviour such as Folau's would be tolerated. This is at least the second time that he has expressed such views and however sincerely he holds them he should keep them to himself because he is a role model, as a player, for many young Australians, some at least of which are likely to be gay.

I would contrast this starkly with the Scottish prop Euan Murray, who wouldn't play on Sundays because it was against his religious beliefs, but who never suggested that those who did play on Sundays were "wrong". I would suggest that his approach is a far better way of expressing your religious beliefs as it demonstrates tolerance which is a Christian virtue (at least nominally).

MESSAGES->author
minuteman (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 21:55
I hear all you say Exeforever and the contrast with Euan Murray is a good one .
Itís true we have a good culture and other departures such as Nemani and Matawalu also back that up.
Itís a shame the Folau thing is what it is and i fancy he might have poked the hornets nest a bit too hard. ..

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 10:08
Rugby Australia looking to sack him

[www.rugbyau.com]

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 10:47
Quote:
minuteman
I hear all you say Exeforever and the contrast with Euan Murray is a good one .
Itís true we have a good culture and other departures such as Nemani and Matawalu also back that up.
Itís a shame the Folau thing is what it is and i fancy he might have poked the hornets nest a bit too hard. ..

In defence of Matawalu he was acquitted and I am uncomfortable about the possibility that players will be suspended before they have been found guilty. The two examples I cited were never in doubt any more than Nadolo's offence was disputed.

Matawalu's case is different and as players become better known and their financial status also becomes better known there is always going to be the possibility of people "trying it on". In these cases I think that the Club may need to go closer to applying the legal principles rather than making up its own code of conduct.

Apart from anything else there is always the possibility that a player who has been suspended or sacked and is then found not guilty in a court, may well have a cast iron case against the club under employment law.

Re Folau the man is obviously an idiot. His categories of the damned embrace virtually everyone who has ever existed (who has never lied??) but nevertheless I expect he'll end up making a fortune in Japanese rugby or in France.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 15:46
I won't go as far as calling Folau an idiot, Delusional or ignorant perhaps would be more fitting. But he a devout Evangelical Christian, A belief that is very hardcore in its teachings of hell and damnation. Now while I don't claim to be a believer (Of any kind), he is entitled to his beliefs.

Problem is as I see it I have no doubt now that he is going to scream and cry now about how this is intolerance towards his beliefs and scream that he is being persecuted as a believer. Because this is how these people think, Only about themselves and not about how hurtful their comments are to those in the LGBT community..

Fornication? Most definitely Check
Lied? Check
Drunk? Check
Stolen? Check
Atheist? I Suppose, Check

Does getting drunk in Weatherspoons and bowing my head against the Statue of Redvers Buller outside Exeter College count as idolatry?. If so Iam 6 out of 8 from his list. See you all in Hell I guess then..

CullyChief
CullyChief (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 17:58
Atheists will go to hell!

Somehow Israel mate, I donít think weíre too bothered by that one....

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 18:56
People outrage of opinions can be very selective, he may be wrong but has the right to say it. Probably have somebody crawl out of the woodwork to say they were emotionally and mentally damaged by his words next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 19:02 by clalan.

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 20:42
I'm in 2 minds about all of this! Only a few days ago i cemented him as one of my top 5 fullbacks in the world currently on this channel, and as a homosexual myself my personal preferences played no part in the obvious with what he provides on the field of play! There is no virtue signalling on my end when he brings people's with one's sexuality or general pursuits into disrepute as sinful as I guess he's entitled to provide his opinion (which is all it is) if his beliefs say so!

The irony is deafening though when a individual criticises a person's preference built on the sheer basis of an ideology which originated from the status of elimination of good and bad which is still yet never been proven to physically or scientifically exist! He is entitled to his opinions, but there is a time and place, and even a right and wrong way, of conveying this! Is the guy naive....very, is he wrong....somewhat to a degree, but why it bothers him so regarding what me and you do is anyone's guess, but is his career now coming to a close with his polarising beliefs negating "live and let live" protocols for us "sinners"..... Yeah I'll say so!

He can forget about rejoining the nrl through all of this aswell, as their code of conduct for the integrity of the game is even more on point then the ARU (Ben Barba being a fitting example!)

It would be funny if he did get a lifeline to play here in Europe, and half of his new squad mates are openly gay.....young Izzy wouldn't know which way to throw the ball, bless him!

Remember.....the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist, and that seems much more inclined to those who preach the good book! Your more likely to be judged by a man of god then a man of individualism! What a strange world we live in!

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 06:22
Personally I think he is having this latest homophobic burst on the basis that he hasn't forgotten about what happened the last he was picked up by another man...

https://i.gyazo.com/198d2aa8f3ad46ac1e1aea0730d5ca82.png

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 09:57
Roy, have you always been this periphrastic or has someone recently bought you a thesaurus?

As for Izzy, he's got the right to believe what he wants. He's even got the right to say what he wants. Rugby Australia have the right to sack him on the basis they no longer have shared values. I just hope he doesn't try to play the victim. Rugby should be about inclusion.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 11:57
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Roy, have you always been this periphrastic or has someone recently bought you a thesaurus?

Come on Poking, get to the point....

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 15:02
Quote:
Poking With Sticks

Unfortunately I can't dumb it down to your level as I'm very much afraid of heights pal!

Besides.....what exactly is YOUR point, because all I see is a cop - out regarding what "free speech" could be, rather then what "free speech" is meant to be...!?

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 15:41
Quote:
Roy_AE
Unfortunately I can't dumb it down to your level as I'm very much afraid of heights pal!

I...um...thank you?

I was just making a silly joke about the wordiness of your posts. No harm intended.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 15:45
Words aren't wisdom. If you choose wordiness to express yourself thats great, but what a shame if the wisdom is lost to us lesser beings.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 16:19
Looks like Billy Vunipola has decided to input himself into the discussion and has had a call from the from the RFU for doing so...

[www.planetrugby.com]

https://i.gyazo.com/35459fb43794bcbecc7c2f832251d19d.png
https://i.gyazo.com/1e7f68bb1cd9a281ebf465998f70f495.png

He is justifying hate speech, What Folau's meme was intended to do was act as a threat to say "Repent and believe as I do or suffer eternal torment". As someone who doesn't believe I do see the threat in those words. I don't believe it but that doesn't mean there isn't a threat there. That is in its definition hate speech and he and Israel should know better.

Littledeepea
Otter Supper (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 16:53
Holy Bible, King James Version

Luke 15:7

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

As a non practicing believer in God, I take this to mean do whatever you want and as long as you say sorry before you snuff it you'll be ok.

Chiefsexile
Chiefsexile (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 17:28
To be honest, when I saw this story I was tentative about coming on here and fearful that I was going to have to drop out of the rugby community because absurd justification would prevail over simply just calling this out as plain wrong on Folau's part.

By and large, I am encouraged by the responses and now feel a little guilty that I underestimated the Tribe.

Roy_AE
Roy_AE (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 18:52
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Quote:
Roy_AE

I...um...thank you?

I was just making a silly joke about the wordiness of your posts. No harm intended.

Ahhhh, no offence taken! I've kinda gotten use to my posts flying over people's heads tbh!

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 19:00
Quote:
Roy_AE
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Quote:
Roy_AE

I...um...thank you?

Ahhhh, no offence taken! I've kinda gotten use to my posts flying over people's heads tbh!

With respect Roy....... I do read your posts and am left thinking what are you going on about!
I think you could make them shorter and use less words............ Us simple folk understand English.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net