rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Topofthepole
Chiefs v Wasps
Topofthepole (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:10
They say that cheats never prosper.
Some call it gamesmanship .
Well Wasps prospered today constant time wasteing .
And some very poor refereeing.
No arm challenge and no yellow then the same player goes on to score a try.
I hope Santiago is ok we missed him when he went off.
Still properly Bath at home in the semis.
Come on you Chiefs.

Vespulavulgaris
Re: Chiefs v Wasps
Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:38
How very gracious.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:56
Gracious or not he speaks the truth. I've seen many teams play those games, even Chiefs on some occassions bit Wasps took it to gross extremes. If most of those were genuine you wpuld have ended up wirh about 12 fit players at the end.

Oh and for the sake of grace... Congratulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 20:32 by Geronimo Jim.

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:58
Quote:
Topofthepole
They say that cheats never prosper.
Some call it gamesmanship .
Well Wasps prospered today constant time wasteing .
And some very poor refereeing.
No arm challenge and no yellow then the same player goes on to score a try.
I hope Santiago is ok we missed him when he went off.
Still properly Bath at home in the semis.
Come on you Chiefs.

Can't see Bath making the semis having looked at the respective run-ins. Personally I have them down for 8th but I'm predicting only 4 points covering 4th to 8th so it's incredibly tight and one unexpected victory would skew that prediction. I'm certainly not putting money on it!!

Entirely agree with your other points btw

Buzzboy
Buzzboy (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:20
The BT team thought the Ďno armsí was fine. Harsh call in my eyes.
Was great for us to get our first ever win at SP.
Good luck in the semis, unless we come down to yours again!

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:47
Chiefs let Wasps into the game with some very loose play in the first half, then Wasps were good enough to hold out really well for the win. Some excellent defence at the end, forcing us back.

One team with a lot more to play for than the other and it showed. Credit Wasps for what ended up a well deserved win, but not too concerned by us losing in the manner we did.

The real disappointment will be if that is the last we see of Santi on the field, which unfortunately looks quite likely if he has damaged ligaments in his knee.

Better news post match from Baxter, that most of our locks will be back for the next game.

I'd quite like to play Wasps again in the SF and I imagine the players would like a chance to right today's performance.

MESSAGES->author
Flying Pasty (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:58
18 handling errors in a single game is just not acceptable and you simply canít win with those kind of stats. So many of the team had a very average day at the office - yes Wasps took a knee every time they could but of more concern to me was how one dimensional our attack looked after Santi and Jack went off. Lots to work on and from a complacency perspective maybe not a total disaster.......

RossM
RossM (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:59
Good game management when you win. Time wasting and cheating when you lose. It's always the same and always will be.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:05
Firstly a huge well done to Wasps, not many sides come to SP and come away with 5 points.

Quite frankly, we were rubbish today. We desperately need a half back partnership that can pose more than predictably, we were clueless at half back.

Olliesís Atkins and Devoto are the only two that can take away a wage with some credit from this game. As a product it was awful, and not even close, as far as value for money, to providing entertainment.

Sorry, but 12,000 plus people witnessed a load of rubbish today.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:16
The result and performance today to a point was immaterial really as our regular main season objective was achieved last weekend.
How many of us looked at the team today when it was announced Friday and thought we had two inside centres on the bench? I know I did and I know Whitts covers other positions but to me his best position is now inside centre as although he is incredibly solid and Mr dependable, his creativity is not his strongest point. Losing Santi so early was a hammer blow as he unsettles defences and creates space for others to exploit so not really surprising that their defence wasn't overly tested after then?
An incredible amount of turnovers by us and Wasps certainly played Sir much better than we did and deserved their win so congratulations to them.
It was a dead rubber to us but not to them and although the players would not have set out to lose we certainly didn't look to have an edge to our game today.
Let's hope today was a bit of a reminder that we need to take some form into the semi and by giving an opportunity to some of the back up players to get some game time in the next few matches to put their name in the hat for selection for the semi it raises the motivation and the intensity building toward that semi final.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:39
As to comments of time wasting by Wasps, the easiest way to stop it is to lead on the scoreboard. Good luck to them, they earned the right to control the tempo of the game by scoring more points. The ref stopped the clock, so time wasn't lost, but certainly any tempo and momentum we might have created was reduced, so well done to Wasps.

No complaints from me about the ref. Carded or not, the Hughes shoulder charge was idiotic, and in truth should have cost them the win. Personally I don't think it was a yellow card, but it was definitely a penalty, and that was the important bit, as we had the chance then to go for the draw. Totally avoidable penalty, and very nearly undid all his earlier good work.

Criticism of the half backs fails to take account of the quality of the ball they are presented with. Wasps to their credit, made a mess of our breakdown, so it is no surprise to then see the half backs struggle.

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 06:59
Agree with much of the above. Having both Hill and on the bench made no sense. Whitten is a good inside centre but offers no creativity.

I also agree about our half backs. White is a good distributor but he offers little threat around the fringes. Look at the difference Reinach, Hougaard and De Klerk etc make to their teams.

If Santi is out for the rest of the season that is a huge loss. IMHO he is the main reason we are top of the table. Not everyone will agree with me but our attack is not as strong as in previous seasons because we are missing a big ball carrier to bash it up, put us on the front foot and give space for second/ third phase.

We need Sam Simmonds back to get us front foot ball. We need Lees to offer give us more physicality in the tackle and Hill to secure line out ball.

We have a great squad, which will win us lots of games across a season, but do we have the players to win us a final. Time will tell!

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:06
We did pretty well without Santi before his arrival, just think it messed up a game plan losing him.
I donít believe this time wasting is only cheating when you lose, yesterday the time it took Wasps to get to any set piece was a joke, add that to going to one knee at the slightest opportunity did what it was designed to, break up the game and stop us getting a head of steam. Saints, Glasgow and others have all done this in various ways.
This is not saying Wasps did not deserve the win, they defended well and definitely used the conditions better the us.
As for the ref, no complaints, a bit more lenient to Wasps than us, but nothing to effect the outcome apart from maybe stopping the clock when the time waste tactic was so obvious.
But the right team won when rugby actually took place, well done Wasps, this yearís Worcester.

Chief Cymraeg
Chief Cymraeg (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:51
Sadly, there is little the referee can do about the time wasting "injuries". Don queried it with him during the game and was told " I know but I'm not a doctor. All I can do is stop the clock".

It is a tactic that has been regularly used against us in the past, including by our next opponents - so don't expect much different next time out. The only thing we can do is keep hold of the ball so we dictate the pace.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 15:57
Quote:
Chiefs
Olliesís Atkins and Devoto are the only two that can take away a wage with some credit from this game.

I don't agree with that. I thought Jack posed them problems, it would have been nice to see Santi on for longer, Big Dave ran straight and hard, and tackled well. Kev looked good, and LCD got two important turnovers.

We only lost by one score, to a side desperate to achieve something this season. I think we played quite well, but Wasps played better.

I don't think any supporter can expect their team to just win every single game, it just doesn't happen. Hopefully we do learn from it, and we don't just resort to the basics and retaining possession game, because teams with good coaches, like Dai, will work out a winning game plan against us.

ukms
ukms (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 18:59
Quote:
Chief Cymraeg
Sadly, there is little the referee can do about the time wasting "injuries". Don queried it with him during the game and was told " I know but I'm not a doctor. All I can do is stop the clock".
It is a tactic that has been regularly used against us in the past, including by our next opponents - so don't expect much different next time out. The only thing we can do is keep hold of the ball so we dictate the pace.

Have Exeter never managed the clock before ? ...... maybe watch some of your replays .... you might be surprised smiling smiley

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 21:03
My observations
Cruse, Daly, Gaskell clearly injured but others taking a breather...the ref may stop the clock but that doesnít deal with momentum and it spoils the game whoever does it including Chiefs...need to find a way to stop that behaviour
Wasps deserved the win as they wanted it more and defended well
We played too much rugby when we needed to calm down and adapt 10 before half time
We need to kick better (other than the ubiquitous box kicks..) in attack...Slade tried it and we scored....the opposition know we will run it or kick long...makes it easier to defend us...what has happened to well placed chips and grubbers..
We kept trying to find an outside shoulder....and failed...plan b ?
Kvesic has done well but is nowhere near the number 8 Simmonds is....in the clear Simmonds scores, Kev tends to stumble and fall....sounds harsh but watch the replays
Atkins and Lonsdale have been game but they are not the standard of Lees, Skinner, Dennis or Hill...
All that said Wasps deserved the win and we are still top so letís not get bent out of shape.
Love you too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net