rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jehovas Sandals
Game today v Wasps
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:20
Fair play to Wasps they deserved that. Yes they have something to fight for and it must be difficult to keep the boys motivated having achieved a home semi.
Our attacking threat did suffer when Santi went off and then Jack. Wasps defence was strong and we were forced into errors. We could have got a draw but I'm not sure we deserved it.
Not gonna moan about Sir but there are so many inconsistencies among refs and have TJ's given up on offsides? I feel compelled to mention Hughes no arm tackle and the persistent taking a knee tactic by Wasps.... Really don't like that.
Just watched RB's Post match interview and he said Jack has a sore ankle, Santi will have a scan.
Mcskinner hopefully back by Saints and Simmonds a couple of weeks off.
Dissappointed this evening especially after witnessing first hand the excellent win at Welford Road but in truth we were well off our game today.

I drink and forget stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 19:22 by Jehovas Sandals.

Exeforever
Re: Game today v Wasps
Exeforever (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:52
I don't think that was anything more significant than a side that desperately needed a win to keep their top 6/4 hopes alive against a side with a home S/F in the bag and, in all probability players keen not to get injured before that S/F and, hopefully, the final itself.

FWIW I think Wasps may well be back for the S/F having looked at the respective teams' run-ins and, if they do return they will encounter a very different version of Exeter IMO.

For me the quality of Wasps' victory was very much tarnished by their deliberate "taking a knee" before every set piece in order to frustrate the flow of our game. Referees, or the lawmakers, need to do something about this (play on unless the "injured" player is directly impeding play and immediately swap out props if done before a scrum, or give penalty to the non-offending side after 30 seconds should sort it) as this is by no means the first time that it has happened this season and it is clearly against the "spirit of the game" that they are so keen to talk about.

Not surprisingly we lacked bulk in the pack, given the second row that we had to play, and this allowed Wasps a lot of go forward ball and the disruption to the backs with Santi coming off didn't help either.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that Sarries and we both lost this weekend. We have got our eyes on bigger prizes; but it is ironic that one of the arguments against ring fencing is that it would produce dead rubbers, when both Sarries and ourselves have 4 dead rubbers at the end of the season in a division with promotion and relegation.
(I reiterate that I do not support ring fencing, just to be clear).

Broken arrow
Broken arrow (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:53
No complaints from me, wasps played better and deserved the win. We made too many mistakes today and paid the price. Still wish we had rested a few players !

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:12
Spot on JS.

I sincerely hope Jack and Santi arnt too badly hurt as our game suffered immensely especially when Santi left the field.
Fair play to Pests,they really made a mess of our game and came back strong from being 12:0 down.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:34
Thought we lost our shape when Cordero went off and 18 handling errors killed us.

Wasps slowed the game down t every opportunity and were allowed to get away with it by the ref,
The wind screwed up a couple of our line outs but Luke P seemed to ignore theres.
Perhaps this is Dai Young poke in the eye for us!

If we are going to lose I would rather it be to Dai young’s Side because I think he is one of the most honourable coaches in the Premiership!

ukms
ukms (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:23
Might be worth having a look at least two of the players who went down and were booed for time wasting ..... they went off injured .... don’t seem to recall others ... reality is every team plays the clock even Exeter when they need to.

Congrats on achieving the home semi so early ! ....

Jehovas Sandals
14 April, 2019 21:47
Quote:
ukms
Might be worth having a look at least two of the players who went down and were booed for time wasting ..... they went off injured .... don’t seem to recall others ... reality is every team plays the clock even Exeter when they need to.
Congrats on achieving the home semi so early ! ....

With respect there were more than two taking a knee along with the slow to restart the game and to the line outs. I agree your not the only team to do it but its something I don't like.
All that aside you deserved the win.

HUGHVILLE
HUGHVILLE (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 09:04
This was the coldest I have ever been at SP. A pity a screen/wall could not be placed at the end of the west stand. This was not the beast from the east but from the River Exe.
There could be several reasons for yesterday result. Hands to cold to catch the ball, not taking advantage in the second half of the wind. Poor inconsistent refereeing. Wasps blatent time wasting and pretend injuries badly affected the flow of the game, dirty play going unpunished. Having said that we were outmuscled and beaten by a team who wanted and needed a win more which moved them up to 5th place. When CORDERO went off the dynamics of the game changed, we stuck to a game plan of playing the ball wide which did not work and we failed to adapt. RB got it right when he said we needed to catch breath with the best will in the world it is difficult to stay focused when semi final at home is already in place. I have no doubt this blip will be forgotten when we arrive at Twickers on 1st June

Welsh Chief
Welsh Chief (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 10:19
Although we could have snatched a draw, I don't think we can have too many complaints about the final score.

First 20 minutes aside, Wasps defended very well and the Chiefs were very predictable once Santi and Jack went off. Although they are all good players individually I don't think it is ideal having Whitten, Devoto, and Hill on the pitch at the same time as they all have a very similar playing style.

I am sure complacency played a part in the result, and I have no doubt the Chiefs can and will play a lot better when required. Hill, Skinner, and Sam Simmonds returning will also make a huge difference. I also have everything crossed that Santi and Jack recover quickly!

The time wasting from Wasps was frustrating but these are professional players doing what they can to win and it worked. It would be good if lawmakers could find a way of tightening up on this but quite difficult to legislate with player safety being so important.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 10:23
Quote:
Lowerwatha
18 handling errors killed us.

That's the long and short of it. Wasps were getting good change out of ripping the ball and we weren't taking care of it.

Jehovas Sandals
15 April, 2019 11:48
I lost count of the number of rips Wasps achieved yesterday.

MESSAGES->author
Blackfeet (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 12:43
Luke Pearce was conscious of the time wasting - heard him on the ref mic telling Don that he knew it was infuriating but he wasn't a doctor - and he did stop the clock every time.

I know all sides can be guilty of slowing things down when it suits but I felt Wasps took it to a whole new level yesterday. The ref may have prevented any timewasting but the greater impact was to slow the tempo that Chiefs wanted to maintain and gave Wasps time to regroup. Maybe they should introduce a time limit on set piece plays? e.g. 1 minute to set up a line out once the ball is out of play, same for a restart after a conversion etc. And don't get me started on reset scrums .....

On similar lines I lost a bit of respect for George Ford on Friday - standing there like a lemon for the full 90 seconds before taking a conversion right in front of the posts. Not illegal but really not in the spirit of the game ....

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 13:58
comments seem to be split over 2 threads, so I have pasted my thoughts re time wasting from the other match thread
Quote:
As to comments of time wasting by Wasps, the easiest way to stop it is to lead on the scoreboard. Good luck to them, they earned the right to control the tempo of the game by scoring more points. The ref stopped the clock, so time wasn't lost, but certainly any tempo and momentum we might have created was reduced, so well done to Wasps.

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 14:17
I reckon most metres covered was by their 'medic' who was sited in front of ETC

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 15:08
Perhaps a good way to speed things up would be to reverse the throw to the line or put into the scrum, l guarantee the ref would only have to do it once. As for the medics coming on tell them to take the “injured” player off the pitch and carry on with the game with no substitute!

Jehovas Sandals
15 April, 2019 15:25
It's not difficult to stop....... Pearce was conned by Wasps all game. Yes I'm sure there were one or two injured but I believe the majority of those taking a knee were knackered and needed a breather!

ricohchezwasp
ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 16:27
This is a tad ungracious and a whole bunch of sour grapes from the the open toe one, watch the game again with both eyes open. Your second try was dubious, you created very little else and turned the ball over 18 times Pearce was not conned, yes tired bodies, 244 tackles says it all. Your forwards were as usual illegally clearing out players and only got pinged once. At the end of the day you were not as clinical as usual and lost..... hopefully we can come back and play you in the semi final.

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Jehovas Sandals
15 April, 2019 19:02
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
This is a tad ungracious and a whole bunch of sour grapes from the the open toe one, watch the game again with both eyes open. Your second try was dubious, you created very little else and turned the ball over 18 times Pearce was not conned, yes tired bodies, 244 tackles says it all. Your forwards were as usual illegally clearing out players and only got pinged once. At the end of the day you were not as clinical as usual and lost..... hopefully we can come back and play you in the semi final.

I've been on your board and congratulated you on your win which you deserved and I did the same thing here.!!
Its a free forum for all but if you choose to come on here then you'll expect to see a more one sided comment....much like it is on yours and the other boards.
I stand by my comments your boys were taking the knee all game, slowing down every set piece also.
It happens, it's how you chose to play the game and referee.
And as for your comment regarding coming back for the semi......... I'd be more than happy for that to happen!
You beat us by one score....... You're fighting for top 4......we secured our Home semi spot away at Leicester the previous week........ Bit of a dead rubber game from our view.
Enjoy your victory!

Broken arrow
Broken arrow (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:08
Wasps were better, end of ! Some of our players looked like they were only giving 80%, understandable given we already have a home semi place. Why oh why did we not give the likes of Nowell, Santi, Slade LCD, Williams etc.. a break ?? I just don’t get it. We had to do without them during the 6 nations and managed to survive, so why are we playing them when we actually don’t have to. Santi’s injury looked like ligament damage to me, Nowell did not look too good and White was definitely in pain. If you go into contact at anything less than 100%, chances are you will come off 2nd best !

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:15
It's always interesting reading posts after the game about what the opposition did and what's in the spirit of the game and what isn't.

There's an irony for me that this loss was to Wasps as I think Chiefs are quite like them in their best recent incarnation a couple of seasons ago. Often unplayable with a game-plan that few teams could live with and yet when teams fronted up and just a few ingredients were missing the team seemed lost.

I'm not sure if there was some complacency (see Sarries result v Bristol) or if it was just so blooming cold or if it was just that Wasps wanted it more and played really well but these results can happen during a season. Chiefs still remain top of the table and are probably the team most other teams don't want to play.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net