Latest news:

..... Chiefs into Prem Final for 4th year in a row.... Next up it's Sarries at Twickenham .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Hindsight is 20/20....
Discussion started by Flying Pasty (IP Logged), 05 May, 2019 10:16
MESSAGES->author
Flying Pasty
05 May, 2019 10:16
As most people who watched the game yesterday will agree it really was a case of boys v men at Allianz Park. Physicality, execution, defence, organisation were all second best to an impressive Sarries team who are just starting to hit top gear, as they did this time last year.
However, if this pretty mediocre Chiefs period ends with us winning the Premiership next month then no one will give a monkeys about the last couple of games.
The point here, IMO, is that the wisdom of Robís team selection strategy will only be known when the season is done and dusted and of course we can all be experts then!

Iíve no idea whether resting most of our first line players helps or hinders our quest but my gut says we had to try and give ourselves the best possible selection pool come semifinal time. Itíll be very interesting to see how this pans out.....

(As an aside I do think we should play our best team vs Saints - to expect the team to leap from the recent performances to 5 star in the semi is too much of a gamble).

Innings
Innings
05 May, 2019 12:55
Sarrie or not, my head says you have to play a team who will give the best chance of a win. To be beaten at home by Saints in the last game before they return for the semis would not be helpful. Beaten at home by Saints and losing top spot if Sarries took a 5-pointer home from Sixways would be inviting Gloucester to Sandy Park for the play-offs, surely a team who would really fancy turning you over there.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
05 May, 2019 13:55
Both Northampton and Glos are capable of turning us over on recent form.
It's a bit concerning we need to get up to speed in 80 minutes against Saints who will be bringing momentum and confidence into the game.
It will be a tough game for sure but that's what the boys are playing for..... 2 more.... Possibly 3 tough hard games.

I drink and forget stuff!

Master Chief
Master Chief
05 May, 2019 15:27
Agreed. We have 80 mins to find our best form of the season to give ourselves a shot of challenging for the title. And this comes off the back of two weeks rest for the first team (following two mediocre performances).. and weíre never good following breaks. Add to that a humbling defeat against Sarries, which will potentially give them a psychological edge (regardless of team selection)..

Can we stop Sarries juggernaut pack and suffocating defence. Iím not sure right now...

Our scrum needs to rediscover itís dominance, our back row needs to dominate the breakdown and contact area like it used to, we need to get Sam Simmonds into the team as a ball carrier, and we need to vary our attack with 9 and 10 looking for gaps.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice
05 May, 2019 17:32
we need to play meaningful games.

AH-64
AH-64
05 May, 2019 18:36
Not to concerned as we have a number of players returning. Key for me is the second row. I hope to hell that either Dave D or Mitch are fit to add some bulk, Sam Skinns or Hilly as lineout coordinator is a must as our normal solid lineout and rolling maul is misfiring.

Hats off to Sean Lonsdale as he has had to learn quickly this season but he does not have the experience or bulk of Dave or Mitch.

Sounds like a few have been managing knocks as well (Don) so a chance to get them fitter.

Saints and the Semi match will have a much more ruthless and dynamic feel about them I am sure. As always ... in Rob we trust!

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim
06 May, 2019 10:11
Is it true that we only have 80 minutes? We have 2 weeks of training, analysis, recovery. Also key players healing.

I think things are rosier than people imagine.

Of course it will be tough, it's meant to be but no doom and gloom here.

Tiverton Brave
Tiverton Brave
06 May, 2019 10:47
I've still been waiting for us to replicate the intensity of the Ulster away game.
I know its there, bubbling under the surface, hopefully we'll see it for the next two...maybe three games.
Keep the faith.
In Rob we trust!
COYC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net