rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
chiefswatcher
Saracens
chiefswatcher (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 08:15
What a performance. Despite being our biggest rivals for a while I can only applaud the excellence in everything they did yesterday. Really not sure how one can beat them.

Anyone on this forum got thoughts on a strategy? Nothing about officials being sharper, this is a query about how a coach would prepare a team.

Exeforever
Re: Saracens
Exeforever (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 09:19
Quote:
chiefswatcher
What a performance. Despite being our biggest rivals for a while I can only applaud the excellence in everything they did yesterday. Really not sure how one can beat them.
Anyone on this forum got thoughts on a strategy? Nothing about officials being sharper, this is a query about how a coach would prepare a team.

Bribe their cook to give them food poisoning? (Sm124)

Seriously they did look unbeatable and full credit to them. Whatever one thinks about their business practices the payers on the field were magnificent. They will approach both the semi and the final with a confidence born out of knowing that they have beaten the previously best side in Europe far more comfortably than the scoreline suggested.

If we do make the final it could be much more embarrassing than last year was.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 09:19
If they turn up for the final playing like that we have to be honest and say we are not on the same level.

But I'm more concerned about getting to the final first.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 09:21
Totally agree, they were awesome.

Trying to smash the Saracens wall down with multi phase rugby, like we did last year, will NOT work. We have to find a way around it or over it...........That is if we get to play them again this year!

A huge well done Saracens, very worthy European Champions without a doubt.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 09:51
Agree with all above.
To get round, over or through them will be a nightmare for anyone. A couple of speedsters running round the back of them may be a way but who do we have?
Santi won't be fit, Shorty doesn't figure.
A big ball carrier trucking it up the middle will just hit a brick wall.
And anyway, as things stand I'm not confident we will have that headache!

I drink and forget stuff!

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 10:11
Great game to watch, thought they were dead and buried when 10 nil down approaching half time with both props replaced due to injury and Itoje in the bin! Went for it and levelled the score with the clock in the red.
Great to see the ref yellow card a player for persistent penalty offences in the red zone. Barritt complained that they hadnít been warned but the ref stood firm, Premiership refs please take note! He was also consistent as he yellowed a Leinster player for similar actions in the second half.
Also think the change of the law a couple of seasons ago which allows teams to kick penalties for touch when the clock is in the red has made for a better game!

Letís just hope that Sarries hangover hangs on till the semifinals!

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:01
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
If they turn up for the final playing like that we have to be honest and say we are not on the same level.
But I'm more concerned about getting to the final first.

Absolutely my view too.

Unless we've got a well hidden secret weapon, playing like we have, won't get us to the final.

chiefswatcher
12 May, 2019 14:19
To be clear, I wasnít asking specifically about Chiefs beating them, Iím not that arrogant and share a lot of the apprehension above about our semifinal, more what tactics can any coach deploy. I seriously think that Saracens could beat most national sides at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 14:39 by chiefswatcher.

goss8800
12 May, 2019 14:39
Tactics

1. Food poisoning
2. Natural disaster
3. Sniper in the grandstand.
4. Hope they have an off day
5. Pay players under the table and get 15 world class players

AH-64
AH-64 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 17:54
Tactically multiphase will not work against them in the first 60 mins of the game as their defence is seriously good. For me we have to turn them, play territory and defend the chase. They rely on disruption of the breakdown and the ability of the opposition to switch from attack to D which many can not do quick enough.

So for the first 20 we kick through, over and into their 22. We take 3 points when they are available, be that penalty or drop goal.

After that we mix up phase with kick to keep them honest, above all we must play heads up rugby and not pre ordained set plays, they will suss these out and punish us!

Squawker2
Squawker2 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 17:59
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Tactics
1. Food poisoning
2. Natural disaster

Thoughts from a Sarries' fan:

1) Very unlikely - decent nosh at Allianz, though the pies aren't as good as they were
2) Anything that blocks a couple of roads would do it
3) I'd suggest the cameraman's cherrypicker - best view in the stadium
4) All too possible!
5) Ah, so the game will be won with our subs then? (Sm14)

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

goss8800
12 May, 2019 18:52
Quote:
Squawker2
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Tactics
1. Food poisoning
2. Natural disaster

Thoughts from a Sarries' fan:

1) Very unlikely - decent nosh at Allianz, though the pies aren't as good as they were
2) Anything that blocks a couple of roads would do it
3) I'd suggest the cameraman's cherrypicker - best view in the stadium
4) All too possible!
5) Ah, so the game will be won with our subs then? (Sm14)

Hopefully if we are at the final we will still be in the game when your subs come on [:wor kid:]

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:40
They upped the ante with the yellow, maybe we need to charm them and not poke the bear or unite them.

Leinster had most luck with quick side stepping players breaking the line.

As above, grubber kicks and drop goals a must. Get the big blocks chasing bouncing balls

Pray for a cold day, it was very hot in the stadium last years and did not suit our game of working very hard to keep the ball. After 20 mins our players looked too exhausted to play our high tempo game. Need to keep it safe in the first half and keep something in the tank for the last 30 mins.

Has our scrum is now @#$%&, don't keep knocking on. Find the Tom Francis that played for Wales in the 6 nations.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:41
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Tactics
1. Food poisoning
2. Natural disaster

Shame you made that last comment. You / we have no idea whether they've done anything underhand.

A bit like Team Sky (as was) in cycling, everyone likes to assume that consistent success must mean someone is doing something underhand.

If their wealthy backer is doing business deals with certain players and it's "legal" good luck to them, goodness knows enough people comment on what a short, precarious career pro rugby is. If they are being looked after good for Sarries. If they are breaking rules that's a different thing altogether but do you have evidence?

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 20:50
Quote:
Geronimo Jim
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Tactics
1. Food poisoning
2. Natural disaster

Shame you made that last comment. You / we have no idea whether they've done anything underhand.

A bit like Team Sky (as was) in cycling, everyone likes to assume that consistent success must mean someone is doing something underhand.

If their wealthy backer is doing business deals with certain players and it's "legal" good luck to them, goodness knows enough people comment on what a short, precarious career pro rugby is. If they are being looked after good for Sarries. If they are breaking rules that's a different thing altogether but do you have evidence?

+1 GJ.

chiefswatcher
12 May, 2019 20:56
As thread starter I request we keep it to rugby tactics. Some really good ideas above. I too favour kicking to corner touch. Let them do the hard work in their own 22. Keep their wingers honest and wide in the backfield then try some chip and chase through the midfield.

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 21:17
If you don't mind me asking what do Chiefs supporters feel is the thing needed to take you to the next level? Btw don't think anyone is writing you off this season as you've been the most consistent team by a margin.

JL904
JL904 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 21:22
Quote:
Geronimo Jim
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Tactics
1. Food poisoning
2. Natural disaster

As a Sarries fan I don't think for a second that FireWater was having a sly dig at us in any way at all, Jim. This whole thread is Chiefs fans essentially acknowledging that 1. Your recent form is a concern, 2. Winning your SF isn't a certainty, and 3. Should our teams meet for the final and we perform as we did yesterday - then your boys will have a hard day at the office. It's lighthearted, with no hint of nastiness.

I can tell you that whilst we are confident - we aren't yet thinking any further than the Glaws match. They're no mugs, and if anyone can stress a defence and exploit a mistake it's Danny Cipriani.

I for one hope that Chiefs do make the final - you've been so dominant in the regular season it would somehow seem wrong to fall at the last, so to speak... and thank you for your overall attitude regarding SC allegations. It's a pleasant change.

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please - Niccolo Machiavelli

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 09:12
They are beatable but Leinster did not have the game to do it. Speed and guile needed rather than bish, bash, boff. Assuming Glaws have to play a semi final on the Barnet plastic, then they could give the special ones a game.

RJDesquire
RJDesquire (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:03
Quote:
chiefswatcher

Could try messing with their mindset by smuggling Monopoly board games into their dressing room winking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net