Latest News:
THIS IS A SOUTH WALES SCORPIONS RLFC FANS FORUM. The message board and the website are not connected to the club and the views expressed are those of the individual fans.
19 Mar, 2012 14:23 Report
nice1neil (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Feb, 2010
Workington Game
So what's everyones thoughts on the game? not much to say really, a case of same ol' same ol'. Our defence is weak and we are still exposed on the right. I'm not one to be negative and still think the scorps can get a top 4 finish, but work needs to be done and done fast. We are missing bulk in the middle, we desparately need a big bruiser to crash through defences and be a brick wall for attacks. Some players don't seem to have stood up yet, I would have thought Rooney would blitz this division but doesn't look like an ex-England/Great Britain international to me? I think we have recruited well but seem to really be missing Gay, Roets and Murphy. David James is doing well but our defence is truely shocking, and did I see we lost a scrum at our put in?

A big confidence win against Wath Brow and grab 3 points away at both Donny and Cru is what is needed to get us back on track. We are behind you Dave and the boys, but show us something to shout about.

Only positive from the day was that the club house had Adnams Ghost Ship, surely a contender for home pint of the year?

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 16:33 Report
upn (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2012
Re: Workington Game
I started to write a comment this morning on very similar lines but gave up as it was coming across as too negative and that seems to offend many people here.

I think the fact that 24 hours after the game yours was the only comment speaks volumes for the general feelings around.

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 17:04 Report
Kennyroberts (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Dec, 2009
Everybody is entitled to an opinion upn just as much as others are entitled to disagree. I am Mr Negative of the North Wales crusaders forum but i'm only trying to keep people's feet on the ground. I want Crusaders and Scorpions to do well but it looks like its going to be a long hard season for both!

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 17:46 Report
daiclub (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2010
Have to agree Neil. We have never had any really big bruisers in the side. One of my men Semesi was about the biggest guy we have had. We got through the first two seasons ok but this year all the other teams seem to have at least 3 or 4 really big guys. Even skoolars had some massive guys in thier side. You cant keep putting 3 men into every tackle to bring theese guys down without it taking its toll on our boys. I have seen the 4 home games now and can't understand why dalton and curtis are not getting picked. The boys they have brought in are not as good in my opinion and as you say neil without gay roets and murphy as well i think our back line is nowhere near that of last year. Hopefully it will click but its not at the moment.

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 18:41 Report
40:20 (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Oct, 2006
The Welsh derby could be an important match if things don't pick up! Both Welsh teams look a little lightweight in some departments and both had nil against their names at half time yesterday which isn't good in any form of rugby.

Wath Bow will not be easy I fear...

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 19:00 Report
lewj (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Nov, 2009
Nowhere near good enough.

I have faith in Dave Clark to get it right as he is a top coach but at the moment certain players, no names mentioned, look uninterested and as if they don't want to be there.

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 19:11 Report
Big Boobs and FIRE! (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Nov, 2011
I don't necessarily feel it is a case of 'same ol, same ol' this season, for the reason that in previous seasons it has been clearer to see what was lacking, and therefore a bit of optimism that with the issues put right, we could make real progress.

In the first season, we had a good coach but a lot of the players were new to rugby league, and therefore taking time to learn the game, gel as a team, and get used to long away games every other week to sometimes hostile places. A bit of time to overcome these and maybe the addition of a few experienced journeymen would make a real difference.

Last season, the players had developed, but with Siebs leaving, it felt that the team were a bit leaderless. There were many close games, or ones where we flagged at the end, but it felt if we had an experienced coaching set up, we could progress. The lack of any pre-season also had an impact last year.

Over the close season, the arrival of Clarke with many plaudits as coach, bringing with him a number of what were seen as experienced league players, and for the first time a proper pre-season in the Northern Rail cup, meant that there was a real sense of optimism that we could have a really succesful season.

However, this has not proved to be the case. The obvious accusation is that the players brought in are not good enough. However, whilst that is the case so far, I don't think any of us have seen them in enough detail previously to know what they are capable of.

Would be interesting to hear from Clarke if he has pinpointed any particular issues, the defensive fragility being the most obvious weakness.

Another point of interest is that the relative strengths of the other teams in the league has changed since last season, and in some cases, since the NR cup. It is still too early to suggest who we should be measuring ourselves against.

Whatever the merits of the above, with it being challenge cup next weekend, we will remain the best rugby league team in Wales for another two weeks.

Oh, and we managed to get replica shirts a whole four months earlier than last season.

Viva la ULTRAS!

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 20:24 Report
Ian L (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2011
Quote:
daiclub
Have to agree Neil. We have never had any really big bruisers in the side. One of my men Semesi was about the biggest guy we have had. We got through the first two seasons ok but this year all the other teams seem to have at least 3 or 4 really big guys. Even skoolars had some massive guys in thier side. You cant keep putting 3 men into every tackle to bring theese guys down without it taking its toll on our boys. I have seen the 4 home games now and can't understand why dalton and curtis are not getting picked. The boys they have brought in are not as good in my opinion and as you say neil without gay roets and murphy as well i think our back line is nowhere near that of last year. Hopefully it will click but its not at the moment.
Curtis is injured, not sure if Dalton is!
Yes very disappointing yesterday not helped by our own errors gifting Town good field position.

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 22:11 Report
Pdiddy55 (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Apr, 2011
Very Disappointing performance by the lads yesterday, but im sure that they cannot play that bad again. Good point that we are missing Mr Roets a very big influential back player for us over past two seasons, also Jamie Murphy is desperately needed back as current full back in all respect does not offer anything like Jamie's safety, skill and attacking flair. We always can do with another big forward but to be fair to Phil and Dave we have had Gil last few games and at least another Wigan forward but still do not seem to be punching out the sets. The boys desperately want to do well but do need to up their game and passion as this game takes no prisoners if you are not up for it.

ReplyQuote

19 Mar, 2012 22:12 Report
upn (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2012
Boobs that's an excellent summary of the first 3 years for me. Well put.

ReplyQuote

20 Mar, 2012 10:43 Report
sgorpioncaerdyddrob (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Nov, 2010
Sometimes you just got to be honest and say it wasn't good enough. But obviously it doesn't mean you give up. I wasn't there sunday but if it was the same story as Toulouse and the Gateshead video, it was the slow defensive line and committing alot of bodies in the tackle that was wearing our defence down. Losing the ball under your own posts doesn't help either.

Roets has definately been missed and we haven't seen enough of Dalton on the pitch either injured or otherwise. Prescott has helped add some bulk in the pack. Was Lewis Reece on the wing or in the centre on sunday?

ReplyQuote

20 Mar, 2012 18:40 Report
nice1neil (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Feb, 2010
Lewis was in the centre, as always he was dependable and one of the best players we have. As I mentioned it wasn't all bad, the Adnams Ghost Ship was great!

ReplyQuote

20 Mar, 2012 20:16 Report
gwstud (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Nov, 2011
Lost too many good/key players and it shows. Yet again the defence seem intent on looking for big hits and hurting the opposition only to miss any real impact and/or the support of others to bring the player down. At least we seem to be able to get over the line (apart from Sunday!) which is a massive improvement on last season.

For the first time I came away from Sundays match and questioned whether the players were putting the same amount of effort into the game that I was in attending. Really dissapointed and if we are not too careful the other teams could be too far in front for us to catch up.

Must do better.

ReplyQuote

21 Mar, 2012 00:42 Report
muffyn (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jul, 2011
NOT ONLY LOSING THE BALL UNDER YOUR OWN POSTS BUT TO LOSE A SCRUM WHEN IT WAS OUR PUT-IN AND THAT WAS ON OUR OWN LINE AS WELL. AND A RL SCRUM IS NOT REALLY A SCRUM ANYWAY AS THE BALL ALMOST NEVER ACTUALLY GETS PUT IN,SO THAT MAKES IT EVEN WORSE.

I feel more worried though about the people who may have decided to come and try a game of RL last Sunday. After a performance like that would you come back for a second game?

As was said earlier in posts, it is not always the be all and ends all when we make a mistake, but the fact that we are not learning from these errors is reaaly worrying.

ReplyQuote

24 Mar, 2012 11:54 Report
jannerboyuk (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Mar, 2012
I thought the team showed a bit in the second half, i think it's easy to say that the oppo took it easier but i thought they showed some pride and effort, that young number 10 i thought ran his blood to water in difficult circumstances and i thought if they hadn't it would have been a 70 point hammering.
Having said that as is obvious defence is a weakness which it appears to me is an attitude problem. i think some of the welsh guys come to league thinking defence is less importnat than union where i think the opposite is true.
Personally although financially its impossible we need a defence coach who feeds a culture of defence wins matches through the whole team. shaun edwards maybe? winking smiley
I was diappointed not to see dalton plaing as i think he is quality, would like to see him at full back maybe, brings a touch of quality but needs to be in the game more.
Still chins up its all a learning curve - come on the scorpions!

ReplyQuote
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net