rugbyunion
Latest News:
THIS IS A SOUTH WALES SCORPIONS RLFC FANS FORUM. The message board and the website are not connected to the club and the views expressed are those of the individual fans.

andy1964
andy1964 (IP Logged)

challange cup next round
24 March, 2012 18:42
ok guys we got to the next round by the skin of our teeth
pheeeeeewwwwwwwww

the question is who would you like to see us play in the next round

the draw is monday night

me i would love to have a home game against any of the big 4

leeds / wigan / saints or warrington

terrace-culture
terrace-culture (IP Logged)

Re: challange cup next round
24 March, 2012 20:16
Whilst part of me says a smaller club as I would love to see us go on a Cup run, the truth is that I don't think we're quite good enough for that at the moment!

So the answer would have to be a top Super League Club at the Gnoll. To bring the Rhinos or the Warriors down would be a huge opportunity for the club to get some much-needed press coverage and would be an amazing experience for the players.

My only concern would be that we'd be outnumbered at the Gnoll!!

Well done to the lads on getting through. It sounds like it was by the skin of our teeth and on another way we could have been punished for giving away so many penalties, but they've got the win after a long trip to Cumbria and it is nice to be in the hat alongside some of the world's most famous rugby league names.

Ian L
Ian L (IP Logged)

24 March, 2012 20:24
Yes, very relieved to be honest.
Would a Super League side away be better though for revenue for the club given gates are split 50:50?

sgorpioncaerdyddrob

25 March, 2012 00:37
Has to be SL side away for that reason, say WIDNES! (fancy our chances there!winking smiley but would be very happy with somewhere like Sheffield or Batley for the change of scenary.To be honest after today's unconvincing result, Im worried for the season ahead....

nice1neil
nice1neil (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 07:42
I think any SL side would be fantastic, especially at home, and might encourage local RL fans to turn out, they certainly did when crusaders were in Superleague so they must have gone somewhere, so maybe taking on the Rhinos or any big club will draw out the much needed support?

andy1964
andy1964 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 09:20
ian i understand your thoughts about a SL club away and the 50/50 gates
BUT remember most SL club season ticket holders get a FREE TICKET FOR THIS ROUND OF THE CUP
if we drew such as leeds away that have about 13,000 season ticket holders could you see them getting more than 13,000 for our visit
not really
gates are always lower when a lesser club visits

get them at the gnoll and lets try to get a good home crowd

TheJonesBoy
TheJonesBoy (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 10:25
That concession to season ticket holders has been scrapped so it is all pay (apart from junior season ticket holders from either club who get in free up to the 6th round).

The downside is I doubt us v the likes of Huddersfield, Wakefield, Cas, Widnes or Salford away would draw a crowd of over 2,000 so even with split receipts it would not be a massive pay day. Even Leeds away might struggle to get 5,000.

Some attendances from last season

St Helens v Featherstone 2,905
Salford v Hull KR 2,087
Wire v Swinton 4,440

Get a home tie I say and get as many new faces through the gate as possible.

TheJonesBoy
TheJonesBoy (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 10:37
Is the draw seeded as last year there was only one all SL tie (Leeds v Cru) and do not know if that was by design or the good old luck of the draw.

gwstud
gwstud (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 11:53
I suppose the issue is about what is most important to the club and RL in South Wales:

1. expansion, ie. a home tie against a SL side and the new people it would bring through the gate.
2. survival, ie. an away tie against a SL side and a bit of extra cash (not sure if the Scorps would be a massive attraction to the fans of Hull, Leeds, Saints etc!!).

I suppose if the answer is option 2 it says everything about the current state we are in?

Big Boobs and FIRE!

25 March, 2012 13:03
Whoever we draw, I hope they add to the excitement in the same way that Wath Brow did by never officialy announcing when and where the game would be played.

For instance, if we draw St Helens away, details will just be listed as; Lancashire, April.

That way the supporters can have the same fun as last week whereby three days before the match, giving up on any official announcement and instead coming to some sort of collective best guess from the various whisper going around, that it will be Saturday afternoon in Whitehaven.

gwstud
gwstud (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 15:51
Big boobs - a quiet man who, when he speaks, talks sense!

Did the club know when the game was being played or was it a case that they were kept in the dark until 3 days before? I suspect they did know which raises the questions why did no one think to pass this information on to their supporters? Got a bad feeling that no one really cares.

Would never have happened in the Stud's day.

andy1964
andy1964 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 20:51
jonesboy
had a chat with my mate who is a rhinos season ticket holder and he says they still have the ticket for round 4 of the challange cup in the package

jarrad
jarrad (IP Logged)

25 March, 2012 21:34
Either NW Crusaders at home or Wire Home

TheJonesBoy
TheJonesBoy (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 07:23
andy1964

Not sure that will be alllowed as Crusaders tried to let their season ticket holders in for free on Saturday and the RFL blocked it.

[www.crusadersrfl.com]

I have a Huddersfield Giants season ticket myself and there is no Challenge Cup tickets included with that.

upn
upn (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 10:13
I'll doubtless get shot down for saying this but on the strength of performances so far I can't see we have the "zip" to put in a decent showing against a SL team and taking a hiding at home would do nothing for the crowds. CC failed to get big crowds for the visits of super league giants so can't see we would.

Take your chances on away gate money I think.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 11:53
I'd like an excuse to go to one of the new grounds - Salford or St Helens away would be excellent.

muffyn
muffyn (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 12:22
In the past, entry to 3rd round CC matches was always included in a season ticket. Why the change this year?

muffyn
muffyn (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 12:25
that ticket includes free entry whether it is home or away.
Having them at home would make no difference really

Ian L
Ian L (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 12:28
Quote:
muffyn
In the past, entry to 3rd round CC matches was always included in a season ticket. Why the change this year?
I would guess that as the gate money is supposed to be shared 50:50 (minus expenses?) there would be no way of sharing the money fairly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 12:29 by Ian L.

TheJonesBoy
TheJonesBoy (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 13:16
The main factors for it being scrapped are Barrow made about 200 out of an 8,000 gate at Wigan last season and Huddersfield fans took up 2,000 freebies for a game at Batley so it had to be made all ticket and the eventual attendance was only about 1,500 so the RFL have decided to keep the concession for junior season ticket holders only (and indeed junior super league season ticket holders get in free to away games anyway).

Leeds might cover the cost to the away club as Manchester United do in football as they bump up the cost of their season tickets so fans end up paying for certain Cup ties if they turn up or not but I doubt any other club will (or indeed when push comes to shove Leeds will either).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 13:17 by TheJonesBoy.

sgorpioncaerdyddrob

26 March, 2012 17:50
I can see Featherstone away now!

Tick Tock
Tick Tock (IP Logged)

26 March, 2012 19:13
I thought the lower league teams claimed back from the RFL for every Superleague ticket holder that went through their gates

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net