rugbyunion
Latest News:

Rogero
Thoughts and reflections.
Rogero (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 12:19
Toronto handed second placed Barrow (who were up to the match against the Canadian outfit unbeaten) a thumping. It looks like Toronto will shoot up to the Championship and beyond in double quick time. The Ironmen face them at The Wern on Saturday 10th June in a televised fixture (I believe) and it looks like being a tough test for the South Wales side.

I know I maybe talking to myself but I have kept this website going as it has been around for more years than I care to remember. And will continue to do so as long as there is a RL side representing the area in the top leagues.

Any thoughts on the up and coming matches is appreciated.

The XIII code is still the best game in the world and hopefully we will get a few wins and certainly have a better second half in the "shield".

Rogero

MESSAGES->author
Re: Thoughts and reflections.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 15:59
Apols if it looked like you were talking to yourself, it's been so grim it seemed better to say nothing than something negative. But since you started the thread, a few thoughts and reflections of my own.

Someone needs to tell the Scorpions/Ironmen it's an 80 minute game. We have had a few such over the years where we seem competitive to a point then wilt. Is it a fitness thing? Is it a "top three inches"thing?

Toronto is looking scary and if we are destined to be annihilated in a televised game then even more so. In the amateur code you would probably have your fixture sec ring them about now saying "we can't raise a side and you can have the points".

Maybe it's a bit soon but I'm wondering what this years new idea or new site or re-brand will be. We seem to have had a few seasons, well in truth probably every season since the first at the Gnoll where we are told it's all been sorted and next year will be different. Meanwhile we continue to look for a first W since I cannot remember when.

Remember when Gateshead or Skolars were the league laughing stock in the Crusader era, what we wouldn't give for their position now, lowly as they are. Sadly we have just gone backwards over the years it seems.

I'm starting to think it cannot be done outside the heartland without doing it the Toronto way and throwing stupid money at the problem. The semi-pro players you need with nous are probably not there for the cash you want to pay. Sort of begs the question is there any point going on?

Depressed......

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 20:05
I'm a bit physically and mentally exhausted so shouldn't really pass comment bit I do like the

bit from Rogero about the 13 code being the best in the world.I heartily agree,sir.

Crusaders won the 'old' League 1 - National League 2 - when they won at Gateshead.Gateshead Thunder finished bottom,or thereabouts,and their coach Dave Woods,who had a difficult first season,instructed the players to learn by watching the Crusaders players,fans and coaching staff celebrate.

Gateshead Thunder won the title the following year.

The only question about the Toronto game is whether or not it is considered to be more important than games against sides near to The Ironmen in the league placings.

I am travelling to the Toronto game - my first 'home' game as I ponder whether or not to follow the club - and live in south Wales.

I think losing one game and then winning a number of others may be the best option.

A win against the Packmen would raise the profile and publicity of the club,though.

The infrastructure of the club looks good.A reserve side and academy/Under age side is the way ahead and is far better than those 'big' clubs who look to have a winning side for a season or two.

Long term stability is the key.It appears on the outside that the intentions are good.

Good things don't happen in an instant and good things take time and hard work - and patience and teamwork.

Please don't disappoint me.

MESSAGES->author
jd1664. (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 21:44
Cast-iron13, yours was definitely a "glass is half full posting" and I grant you mine was probably a "glass is half empty" type posting, but we have seen a lot of false dawns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2017 21:49 by jd1664..

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 19:15
Quote:
jd1664.
Cast-iron13, yours was definitely a "glass is half full posting" and I grant you mine was probably a "glass is half empty" type posting, but we have seen a lot of false dawns.

For the loyal diehard supporter like yourself who has undergone the hard times the good times are enjoyed all the more.

Best have the firm foundations and roots in place before the flowers blossom.

Otherwise success is immediate and disappears almost immediately.

It seems,there are some good people leading from the front.They need and deserve the support.

I hope it gets better for good people like yourself.

The joy of sport,and the rest of life,seems to be undertaking the hard work and the knock-backs and disappointments while still striving to reach the destination while making the most of the journey.

The national side have had more success recently after a lengthy lack of success.

Sports supporters keep telling each other to Keep The Faith.

lewj
lewj (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 09:23
I haven't been this season.

I usually like a few drinks before and during a game and cant really justify a three hour round trip from Newport to watch a team that is getting beaten at home 9 times out of 10. I have also seen complaints of drinks being unavailable at the ground on some occasions and with no club house I doubt the social aspect is thriving.

It isn't negative it is where we are at. First of all we have to get the product on the field right. We have gone backwards on that front I think when we compare where we are now to where we started.

Once we do get that right then putting the club in a place an hour and more from the three largest populated cities in South Wales won't help much either.

Location is far from an issue until the product is improved upon though. South Wales people will not pay their hard earned to watch a team getting beaten every week regardless of how hard they're working or how nice​ a group of lads they are. That is the cold hard truth of the matter.

If we had a winning team we would have a starting point but we seem as far from that as we have been.

I was fully behind what was being achieved at the club but moving the club here, there and everywhere on a whim without even speaking to the few fans they had means the club is now reaping what it has sewn - a handful of fans watching the plucky runner up saying "we'll get there one day".

As far as I can see we are trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. When we produce a few decent lads they're taken for next to nothing so I can't see how we are going to. Again, not negative just an honest opinion of where RL in South Wales is.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 20:20
Guilty as charged for non-attendance. 100 mile round trip thereabouts without terrific prospect of a win makes it difficult to justify to the wife.

Everyone at the club will be putting in every effort to rectify the situation but without increased finances to bring in experienced, hardened RL players then there will continue to be an uphill struggle.

Other than that I don't have any answers in the short to medium term and with WRL stabilising after offloading the club then it would take a 2013/14 situation I would guess to see them back on board in the same way.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 06:58
It is nice to see some activity on the board and some old friendly names re-appearing.

Lewis - you make good points BUT I'd love to have been winning one in ten home games! It is a sad reality that we haven't won at home this season, we didn't win a game in Caerphilly (or Blackwood) and didn't win a home game at Mountain Ash.

I think our last win on Welsh soil was beating the London Skolars at the Arms Park about three years ago.

Unless the team is competitive people will not attend - my season ticket was bought in hope and anticipation. At least it counts as one towards the attendance figure.

The players who pull on the shirts are undoubtedly giving it 100% but another disappointing season of results is unfolding.

I watched Castleford yesterday on the TV - what a superb side they are. RL at the highest level remains the greatest sport to watch.

Best regards to all and I am away at the TT for a few days...

Rogero

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net