rugbyunion
Latest News:
THIS IS A FULLY INDEPENDENT SOUTH WALES IRONMEN FORUM

The message board and the website are not connected to the club and the views expressed are those of the individual fans. Please respect each other. Thank you.

The club's official website is ironmenrl.wales

South Wales RL
Llanelli move, club takeover and new name.
South Wales RL (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 08:19
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

cast-Iron13
Re: Llanelli move, club takeover and new name.
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 12:16
While I can only sympathise and empathise with those supporters of rugby league who followed the sport in Bridgend,and then the south Wales brand in Neath,Mountain Ash,Caerphilly,Merthyr et al.I do view this as a rescue,rather than just a takeover.

I am very grateful for the involvement of Mr Thorne,who appears to have put his own money,and time,into developing the community club and under age sides,and growing the sport from the grassroots gaining support from the public and businesses.Kudos to him.

Many years ago the thought crossed my mind as to how it would be possible to lessen the load for supporters who travel great distances to support their club.

I can't think of anything practical and people will point to those who travel from the length and breadth of this country,as well as to all points of the compass,to attend Old Trafford,the home of Manchester United soccer club.

With regard to takeovers,it was a so-called 'merger' which took a reasonably successful club,after one year of being parachuted into Super League,when Gateshead Thunder were removed lock,stock and barrel 135 miles away to Hull.
No consideration was given to commercial and private sponsors - nor supporters.
One year after Sheffield Eagles defied the odds and defeated Wigan Warriors,they were 'merged,with Huddersfield.

The sport has had its problems and decsision making hasn't pleased everyone.

The sport doesn't generate too much money.

There are not too many owners who have started clubs off still running the clubs.

Gary Hetherington formed Sheffield Eagles in 1984.Then in the 1990's he got together with Carrick,from the construction industry,and took over Leeds - who,apparently,were in debt at the time.

Tomorrows opponents,London Skolars,were formed by Hector McNeil
who is in the finance industry,apparently into hedge funds.

I hope Mr Thorne gets as much support as is humanly possible.I do like rugby league enthusiasts being involved with clubs.

People through the gates are vital.

I also hope we remain unbeaten at Stebonheath Park throughout the remainder of 2017 - so the players can have a hard working,but ease of mind,off-season to prepare for a successful 2018.

Please make every effort to get there - safe in the knowledge that you may be closer to each away game than I will be.

You may need a long journey home to come down from the highs of seeing home wins.

Keep the faith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net