rugbyunion
Latest News:

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 18:40
Just before attention is drawn,fully,to the World Cup,some information tonight which may shed some light on League 1 for 2018.

( Obviously,I am aware that things can change,big-style,before the 2018 campaign starts.)

However,at a meeting with Bradford followers,and in the presence of RFL chap,Ralph Rimmer,

it appears that despite the IPRO Cup no longer happening the season will start in February.

It will involve 16 clubs

There will be games played on a home and away basis.

Read With Pinch Of Salt - Many A Slip Twxt Cup And Lip

cast-Iron13
Re: 2018
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:25

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 08:41
Intersting - thanks castiron.

Whatever happens it is going to be a tough season for West Wales Raiders and others too.

Hopefully it will be exciting as well.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 20:34
Cheers 40/20,

Looks like they all want to come to our pitch at Steboneath.

Not just former World Club Champions,Bradford Bulls,but one of the most decorated players.

New Head Coach For Workington

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 11:33
Those rumours about a merger between University of Gloucester All Golds and Oxford,resulting in a new club in Bristol,have now changed to rumours of the loss of the 2 clubs and no new club in League 1 for the year ahead.

If true,very bad news.

It should make for an interesting set fixtures being released on November 1st.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 10:58
I have come to the conclusion that some Mondays are better than other Mondays.

Should I decide to stay overnight,coffers permitting,on the trips north in 2018,I hope the

Monday mornings make me feel as good as this one,thus far.

I do worry though,when all seems well in my little world.Something is bound to go wrong.

I opens up my RLE to find Andrew Thorne quoted about 'long term plans'.

( That's his employment at the RFL well and truly scuppered )

It seems the minimum contract given to the signings will be 2 years!

He wants some stability and the players to concentrate on the rugby rather than worrying about their next contract.

Wow! What an incentive to those players who are attending the trails at the weekend.

I just hope the next Ellery Hanley gets himself along.

If that wasn't positive enough,along on the Letters page,a wonderful chap by the name of Mansel Doward,of Llanelli,has his views published where he reminds those compaining about the system that they knew the competition rules before the season started.

The final paragraph states,'' I'm looking forward to the revamped League One and seeing how my local team West Wales Raiders fare.''

Subliminal advertising? The name is out there.

The club are doing very well on the social media and West Wales Raiders mentioned amongst all the other clubs.

Keep up the good work...

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:45
The All Golds and Oxford will merge - in 2019 as Bristol - but until then both clubs take a

gap year - leaving a 14 club home and away system.

Bristol 2019

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:55
Press release from RFL....

The Rugby Football League can confirm that Oxford Rugby League and the University of Gloucestershire All Golds have joined forces to create an exciting new Rugby League club based in the city of Bristol. The new club will replace the current clubs and aims to be part of the League 1 competition for the 2019 season.

Following a meeting in London earlier this month, the Rugby Football League Board accepted a proposal put forward by both clubs that they would not compete in the 2018 competition and would instead spend 2018 focusing their efforts on the creation of a strong Bristol Rugby League development project to take their place in the competition from 2019.

The Rugby Football League has been in discussion with both clubs and potential investors in the Bristol area for a number of months and the Board has indicated that there will be room left available in the competition for a new Bristol based club in 2019, but that any bid to participate in the competition would require significant backing and would be subject to Rugby Football League Board approval.

Chief Operating Officer of the Rugby Football League, Ralph Rimmer, said: “The Rugby Football League is clear that there is an expectation on all clubs in the professional game to offer a clear strategy that demonstrates their plans to help grow and strengthen the sport in future years.

“Oxford and Gloucester have come to the conclusion that the best way for them to now move forward is by creating a new club in Bristol that is backed by significant support and investment. The Rugby Football League Board has accepted this and is looking forward to seeing further detailed plans for the new club in due course. Rugby League will continue to have a presence in both Oxford and Gloucester with community clubs and foundations remaining in place.”

The League 1 fixture list is due to be published in November and will consist of 14 clubs playing each other home and away.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:11
In this mornings RLE - Under the West Wales Raiders section - is a quote from coach Jon

Ellis.

While emphasising the local talent and the way forward being players from the local

community he also states,''We are predominately wanting to get some young Welsh talent
coming through ,with some experienced Welsh players and some lads from Australia and the
north to make up the spine of the team for the first season.''

The second open trial is this coming Sunday - November 5th

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 12:45
After watching Wales' dreadful performance against PNG the club might think about 17 players from "down under".

Are we that far behind them?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 19:26
Quote:
Rogero
After watching Wales' dreadful performance against PNG the club might think about 17 players from "down under".
Are we that far behind them?

I see that defeat really hurt you.

I didn't expect anything other than a PNG win.They are a host nation.Oppressive heat.Fanatical crowd.Players who try to run through the opposition rather than around them.
Even preparing for heat doesn't help with the humidity.

The Scots Tried - Didn't Help

There is a video on the popular video sharing website,an anagram of Tube You,which shows the GB side,with Maurice Lindsay,the 80's/early 90's - and sitting on a bus nearly finished them.

I have seen quite a bit of the PNG players in England.

In the Stanley Gene book he tells that players play longer/to an older age,because the youngsters are so impoverished they can not,and do not buy or eat sweets.

They also don't register births immediately.Many of the players are therefore older than they are actually deemed to be.

I did hear a comment after the game at the weekend that they now play with structure.

A year on from Wales defeating Serbia towards earning a place in the World Cup,by winning at parc Steboneath,word comes through of a possible Serbian side in League 1 in the future.

Red Star Flying High

Leeds have signed a Polish player - maybe signing european players is a cheaper,more reliable way ahead.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 07:21
Yes it did "hurt" me, I wasn't expecting such a thumping.

Whilst I am English I have lived in South Wales for over 40 years and when it comes to RL I support Cymru. I have watched them all over the place and enjoyed some good times, getting to the semi final at Old Trafford being one. Hosting the last tournament being another, but Saturday was definitely a low point.

Still two games to show what we are made of...

Good luck all.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 14:41

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 07:04
Another couple of weeks won't hurt too much.

Bradford Bulls will be firm favourites to win the league....

RLWC to concentrate on.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 11:06
One of my better Mondays,thus far.

Even my bank did me a favour and the weather is lovely.

In this mornings RLE there is a quote from coach Jon Ellis.

After stating that some players are signed up and some earmarked to bring in he continues

that there aren't many from the old Ironmen.

''...We have a different culture and approach now.We have a different way of doing things

and some of the people we've worked with before,we don't deem fit enough to be what we

want to be.

It has meant there has been a bit of a cull,because we want to start something new and

exciting.We don't want to keep grasping at the past.''

After next week I change address and the RLE may take some time to arrive - so this may
be the last posting risking copyright legislation.(Sm115)

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 08:09
I hope Jon means that West Wales Raiders are going to strive to be more successful than South Wales have been in the last five years. It is little wonder that interest has diminished to less than a trickle. It is a results business, people will only tolerate losing week after week for so long.

Hopefully this really is the start of something.

Please do tell RLE and the Post Office you have moved. The updates are most welcome.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 22:10
My Luddite technophobe days may be over.Yes sireee!

I have only gone onto pocketmags to read tomorrows RLE.

Impressed,huh? I certainly am.

Beeeecause - I now know that Jon Ellis had fewer players in number than he expected to

the recent trials but the quality was good and the club are signing some of the players

who attended.

The word 'upbeat' was used,about the players,and that is my word for the week.

I would have preferred a paper based record for the fixtures ( released Wednesday )
which would be in the paper edition next Monday - but that will just be one more hurdle to

overcome.

I remain an upbeat former Luddite technophobe.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 07:48
That made me smile!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:56
With Jon Ellis and Phil Carleton now named officially as the club coaches for the 2018
campaign,with the players to be named over the coming weeks via Facebook and Twitter,the

Rugby League Express reports,via Jon Ellis,that Wayne Ponting is heading up a structure

for youth development at the club.

A family name synonymous with success - Ponting,the Australian cricketer who has a bit of

a winning mentality,and an organic growth of local rugby league players;seems good to me.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:15
Looks like the club are going down the social media route.

Why cannot they run a proper website?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 18:57
Rogero,

The website is under construction.

They are getting through a huge amount of work and the naming of players in alphabetical
order is really good.( Well I'm enjoying it )

I'm sure the website will be as professional as I feel everything else has been/will be.

I'm not as misanthropic as I was and after my frustration,elsewhere,with a lack of

engagement/connection with the supporters I must state that I think this club has

individuals running it who love the sport and are right on top of the game.

Give it just a little more time - It'll be tickety-boo.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 18:08
Good news!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:22
From reading the RLE it seems fitness work is being done and a pre-season game,or

two,is/are planned for January to ensure the fitness levels are at the required standard.

The expression,'a good going over' was used.( I suspect the players are being flogged!)

Looking forward to further announcements in the evenings ahead regarding squad members.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:27
An interesting rumour just emerged which links the Wales national team head coach,John

Kear,with the vacant head coaching position at League 1 club,Bradford Bulls,who visit

Stebonheath Park next year.

May be more meat added to the bones in the RLE later and during the coming days.

Apparently Wakefield Trinity will not stand in his way if John Kear wants to return to head

coaching from his Director of Rugby job,at Wakefield.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:04
Interesting. I think Bradford Bulls will be looking for a 100% record in 2018.

It is unbelievable that a team who have won everything in the sport and were Super league winners in 2005 are now in the third tier.

The sport needs a strong Bradford Bulls...

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 16:03
Quote:
Rogero
Interesting. I think Bradford Bulls will be looking for a 100% record in 2018.
It is unbelievable that a team who have won everything in the sport and were Super league winners in 2005 are now in the third tier.

The sport needs a strong Bradford Bulls...

Back in October - before signings were announced,head coach still not decided,tribunal
still to reach a conclusion,and before other League 1 clubs demonstrated an ability to sign
some good players - Bradford Thought - And Stated,The Same

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net