rugbyunion
Latest News:

UlsterFan
Workington 74 v West Wales Raiders 6
40:20 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:23
It's going to be a long hard season.

Two matches and two absolute thrashings.

jd1664.
Re: Workington 74 v West Wales Raiders 6
jd1664. (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:18
The BBC website and Workington RLFC twitter implies that they took just 14 up to Cumbria.

Does anyone know different?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 22:29 by jd1664..

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 08:16
There is a long and detailed statement on the club's facebook page which explains the position.

It makes somber reading and puts things in perspective. Some fans may have been expecting too much too early?

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 08:28
It would be good if the club did put things like the latest statement and the results on their official website. A lot of people either don't use or don't like facebook. The official site should be the best place to read about the club. Social media is after all social media.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 10:23
I saw the posting on the facebook after posing my question and, if I am honest, the idea that all the sh*t is down to the previous owners and they are (yet again) starting from "ground zero" rather grated with me.

They knew, or should have known, the outcome (as amateur raiders) of getting the franchise from Merthyr and IMHO underestimated the step up to the semi-pro ranks. If they didn't know then they were either remiss in their due diligence or plain unfit to run a semi-pro club. I originally accused the club of "taking the fecking p*ss" and I withdrew it in subsequent edits waiting for confirmation of the facts and frankly I am tempted to restore that point of view.

I think, though it pains me to say it, that the RFL was too desperate to keep a club in S Wales and failed to ask the right questions when they granted the change of control. I am not sure where this ends but I cannot see a happy outcome for S Wales RL fans right now.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 15:12
Any chance of pasting the full comment from the fbook page on here?

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 15:15
Lifted from site and assumed to be “public domain” and free to repeat.........

After today’s result we caught up with West Wales Raiders CEO Peter Tiffin & Head Coach Jon Ellis to see what they had to say.

Tiffin commented-
“The score line today reflects where the club is at the moment on the field, I won’t lie it has been difficult getting players to commit not only to the Club but to the sport in general.

With the damage that has been done in the past with the change of venues, change of owners & the previous regime running the club into liquidation we knew this was gonna be a tough first season, however I’m glad that we are able to give a lot of young welsh talent some experience, we haven’t got the luxury of signing players from super league academies and championship clubs or have the strength of the community game that some areas have due to geographical location so we have to develop our own players which I feel we are doing. We have established a great link with coleg cymoedd and the local universities and hopefully we can help reignite the community game.

A lot of these players have great futures in front of them,they just need the experience of playing at this level. Nobody wants to be the whipping boys but we all have to start somewhere.

I’m sure social media will focus on the negatives because not everyone will know the full story, 6 months ago professional rugby league was almost lost in wales so our main aim this season is to stabilise the sport and rebuild.

Thank you to all our supporters and players that have stuck with the club and we look forward to seeing you on this journey.”

Jon Ellis added

“Obviously today wasn’t ideal but people look at things in different ways,our prep for this game was fantastic especially off the field.
The journey up to Workington on our top of the range coach,midway team meal,overnight stay & pre game preparation was logistically the most professional I have experienced.

The game itself saw us turn up with 14 players,7 of which were under 19s & at times Workington were forced in to committing a lot of errors due to the effort of our players. It shows how physical we were as Workington had three players taken off with injuries whilst we put an 80 minute stint in with 14 players and no injuries. To get a standing ovation from the crowd at the end of the game gives the you the determination to carry on in adversity as we now we will get where we want to be one day,that day may not be to far away.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 15:16 by jd1664..

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 15:28
West Wales Raiders took over the Ironmen fixtures during the 2017 season and I believe that seven matches including three at Stebonheath were played under the control of the new owners. I think it was at the end of July? So playing semi-pro RL is not an entirely new experience.

WWR have signed around 30 players since the autumn and it is a touch disappointing that only 14 could make the trip for our first league match as the West Wales Raiders.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread the statement on facebook pulls no punches, but surely it should be on the official website and the results should be there too?

Fans of the sport in South Wales have put up with being the whipping boys for year after year, it's easy to become disheartened but from the outside justifiable. We have lost thousands of fans since the Super League days at Bridgend, I doubt we will see a return to those heights but the thought of struggling to finish bottom of the league again is not a welcome one.

Good luck and hopefully things will improve, beginning with the match v Coventry Bears.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:23
I would have to state that Jon Ellis has made comments in a very calm and controlled manner

after what must have been a very disappointing day for him as he would have known the day

previously that the game was lost against a side with considerable Super League experience

and on the first home game for new head coach,Leon Pryce.Pryce has won just a whole host of

playing honours in the game.

Those players who did travel and play are deserving of much praise,especially Kurtis Haile,

who sustained an arm injury and remained on the field,obviously in pain,and with

strapping around his arm/elbow.

It was good of the club to put on an overnight stay for the players.But the time effort and expense was just a bit in vain.

I have typed out on another forum that it was a nadir for a nascent club.Not a good experience but hopefully the worst as the 'baby steps' continue.

Better to build strong foundations then go for the quick fix.

I've had better weekends.Time again to gird up one's loins and work even harder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net