rugbyunion
Latest News:

cast-Iron13
Whitehaven ( Away )
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:07
It appears as though the player/coach Carl Forster will miss this game as he wishes to rest

for the following week when Whitehaven host Rochdale Hornets in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup.

The referee will be Steve Race,who recently refereed our home defeat to North Wales Crusaders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 14:09 by cast-Iron13.

jd1664.
Re: Whitehaven ( Away )
jd1664. (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:17
Shows the respect with which the club are held, the guy misses the fixture in a competition they can win for a game in a competition they have no hope of winning!!!

I suppose the aim is a lucrative SL opponent if they get past this round but still says a lot of the clubs standing.

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 17:16
I'd actually back Whitehaven to beat Rochdale (who have had a miserable run recently) but still think game time is the best training...

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 08:06
Whatever the merits for Whitehaven it further goes to show that teams now view matches against WWR as "easy" and perhaps matches to use fringe players / experiment.

June seems a long way off at the moment!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 19:12
If I was a glass half-full kinda person I may view the player/head coach of Whitehaven

playing with an injured shoulder against Coventry,but not risking it against WWR,as more a

sign of respecting us.

However,he does have an arrangement with St Helens,and with Salford,for their players,

and should he be allowed to have Levy Nzoungou replace him in the pack,a player I saw 2

years ago at Toulouse,then I can see why he chooses to view the game with his coaches hat on.( If he does decide to take a break )

The other 'worry ' is Jessie Joe Parker only requiring one more try for his century in

Whitehaven colours.

Up against a good,experienced side.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 07:13
Hopefully we can travel up to Cumbria with a full compliment of players and get to the venue in plenty of time. These factors will help in what looks like being another tough task for the WWR.

Results have to improve for everyone's sake.

The South Wales Scorpions had a very rare win in their first match at Stebonheath after the takeover back in July and the spirit in the RL fans camp was lifted. However 2018 has proved to be far tougher than anybody seemed to expect and proves that with the demise of Glos & Oxford the league is actually much stronger.

On a connected note it has gone very quiet on the Bristol RL front - they are supposed to be launching a team in 2019 for League One.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:56
I do not suppose Bristol (RU) getting promoted will have helped in the quest for the uncommitted fan.

Aviva premiership or the RL third tier, not exactly a tough choice........

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:59
Getting there on time and with 17 players is a minimum for professional sport I would have thought BTW, although after recent weeks that may count as a small "w".

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 09:36
You know how much I love stats and how much I love RL, unfortunately based upon what has happened so far this season I think W's are going to be in very short supply.

Unless the spine of the team is improved I cannot see much improvement in terms of results, and if results keep on being bad the continuing trend relentlessly flows on.

I have a wardrobe full of Celtic Crusaders, South Wales Scorpions and even an Ironman shirt.
I am yet to buy a WWR one. But I will!

We need some experience and those senior guys we signed and re-sigend to step up to the plate.

GLA

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 16:47
Before the season started I was amazed at how much,it seemed,was being spent by more clubs than the top 1 being promoted and 2-5 in the play-offs.

Yesterday,Bradford took 2 full-time players on loan,despite being dual reg'd with 1 of the clubs,Toronto,from whom they have taken other 'loans'.

Keighley have taken on Griffin and Larne Patrick is out there,somewhere.

Whoever fails to gain promotion may have spent outside of their means.

I think the painful experience of a few defeats may be beneficial in the long run as the club and the players find their feet.No need to panic just learn and progress.Never losing heart.

With a secure stadium situation making slow but certain progress - however initially painful - with stability and continuity - is the way to go.

A show of support for the club,at the home games,will be great.Then we can see how the clubs,who have spent a lot on instant gratification,manage after failing to gain promotion.

Before then our players have to physically and tune in to the pace of League 1 and get into a professional mind set.No complaints from me.

I have witnessed progress - but last week wasn't the best.

Baby steps for a baby club.WWR cannot be held responsible for the fact that south Wales rugby league fans have had the messy end of the stick for some considerable amount of time.

It'll turn.Perhaps sooner than Welsh football manager Chris Coleman can turn things at his present location.

I hope the trains run on time,this weekend.(Sm30)

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:05
Good Luck to all!

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:53
Does “all” include Whitehaven then LOL?

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:07
Another sending off unfortunately - was it as bad as Haven's twitter feed stated ?

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:31
Good heavens above. WWR will be re-writing the points against records very soon. 84-6!!

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:53
On the twitter feed from Whitehaven they praised the WWR attitude and the fact that they never gave up, which is good. But where are the high profile signings (some key names missing from the line up) - we need all the experience we can get. This was Whitehaven biggest ever home win in their history...

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:59
We'll have to wait to be told how many positives we can take from the hammering I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 16:14 by jd1664..

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:03
Well,I can't recall when I was last so proud of a group of rugby league players.

I don't normally comment on referees.But Mr Race ruined my weekend and matchday at the point he,together with a touch judge's input,decided to issue a red card to Dalty.

Dalty was on the interchange and entered the field when Morgan Evans was injured - 3 man tackle on him,but he raised himself and got an offload away.

It is very difficult for a full time player at Super League level to suddenly get up to speed from a cold,standing start,and even more difficult,I should imagine,for a part time player from the away side when the home side are backing up a last lick win against the closest rivals and have built up a good lead.

It did get me thinking that the static bike at the side of the pitch was a fad that didn't last long.

Anyway,Dalty was wrong-footed by the small,nimble footed half back for 'Haven and instinctively stuck out his right arm and caught him.The home crowd screamed a lot higher than was warranted - and despite no real injury caused to the 'Haven player - a red card was shown.

Even before,it seemed,that the contact happened,Dalty was apologising.There was absolutely nothing malicious about it.

The game had got off to a very poor start.Our left edge defence was stuck in the same system as at London Skolars where the defence is so far apart that it seems they were testing for the space required for one of those shiny red,double-decker buses to pass through the gap,sideways.This was due to a new winger having a debut and playing alongside a centre when they hadn't played together before or had a chance to work on combinations or communication.

We had a full back on debut and actually,it seemed to me there was far more communication during the rest of the game.

Just as it seemed we were about to make a competitive game of it - the sending-off!

I was incensed.The crowd did shout about the tackle.I explained to those near that there was no intent and that it would finish the game and that would not benefit 'Haven a week before they play a side from a higher league.But...

Then,in the final quarter,of course,in almost the exact same position on the field,Our player passes to his right,and while he relaxes without the ball,Haven half back Dion Aiye,the Papua New Guinean,hit him directly on the head with a lunging shoulder charge.

So,that is a first contact with the head.A banned shoulder charge - no effort to use arms or make a tackle.Has to be a red card.No,just a penalty.

I give up.What a waste of money and time when the game was effectively ended with a ridiculous red card.

Praise to the 'Haven crowd for applauding when our players were assisted off the field with injuries.Special praise for the head coach/player ( I think he is still the youngest head coach or that may recently have changed - I'm tired I've just got back an hour ago and other things are happening ) but Carl Forster shook the hand of Dalty in full view of everyone as they were stood by the dug-outs - where Dalty should not have been after being sent off but I think they were waiting for the key for the away team dressing room.

The 12 did very well while they were on the field.The referee did notice some forward passes from Haven but I gave up near the end when he indicated a knock-on against us which clearly wasn't.

I would like the club to fight the red card decision - too late for the game,but sending-off sufficieent has to be the denouement.I await to see what the Match Review Panel make of the Aiye challenge/shoulder charge.

The 12,at any one time on the field,were very gallant losers.

No game this weekend approaching so hopefully time for injuries to be nursed.

I'll just remind myself of the 2 London Skolars players who both went high on Mark Asquith and when he landed back on the pitch it caused the knee injury in the pre-season game.Not only did we just get a penalty but Mark Asquith still isn't fit for us.

Nothing is very fair in life and rugby league.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net