rugbyunion
Latest News:

Rogero
York City Knights 144 v West Wales Raiders 0
Rogero (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 16:45
A new record RFL score.

York scored 25 tries (22 converted) in a total demolition job to break a record which had stood since 1994 when Huddersfield beat Blackpool Gladiators 142-4 in a Regal Cup match.

UlsterFan
Re: York City Knights 144 v West Wales Raiders 0
40:20 (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 17:25
Oh flippin' heck...

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 17:30
At least the Gladiators got 2!!!

UlsterFan
29 April, 2018 17:42
The previous record was a cup match and Huddersfield were Super League. This 144-0 was a perishing league game!! It is very worrying...

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 17:56
Steve Parry was withdrawn prior to the game it seems if I read the team sheet right on twitter - not a game-changing thing in itself but an indication that things still don;t deem to be right.

On Total RL a poster has mentioned a duty of care responsibility to the players - is this applicable especially with the Bulls up next ?

The laudable declaration to develop local players and retain the 'Welshness' of the club now seems to be laughable in the face of continuing high scores against the side.

All praise for the efforts of those involved but the potential impact that this has on helping the club gain a stronger foothold crowd-wise cant be underestimated.

UlsterFan
29 April, 2018 22:08
The "Scorpions" won their first game (at Stebonheath) afer the WWR takeover BUT eight months later it seems to have gone backwards on the pitch very quickly. The results are record breaking for all the wrong reasons....

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 06:50
The players must be shattered and with a trip to Odsal up next it highlights what a tough league this is. However all this was known about last year and the much lauded team strengthening and announcing new players daily looks a little flat now. As supporters we can only hope for a swift tun of fortune but surely bringing some experience in is as an absolute "must".

The chairman's statement that the club are not getting the best out of the players does raise a few questions, hopefully these will be answered soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2018 07:59 by Rogero.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 22:09
I have replied a little bit on the Totalrl website.

A bit of perspective,if I may.

6 new signings were announced midweek.Not all of the team travelled together.It may be that they had not trained together.

Out of interest,earlier tonight I asked on the club Facebook page how many players have represented the club since the first 2 pre-season games.

We had a different full back since the Whitehaven game last week.We had a right centre/wing pairing for the 1st time and we had the same on the left side.

A new signing at stand off but he had a heavily strapped knee and surrounding area.

The 2 joint captains were absent - Connor Parker now has an extremely demanding job and I feel this will cut into his career.

Dalty was suspended and we had a debutant loose forward with another debutant on the interchange.

They kicked off 2 players hesitated,one knocked on - they scored from the scrum.

Our restart nearly bounced into touch,alas went dead - we got a GLDO they ran the rest of the show.

In their side - as mentioned on the other website.Aussie Keiron Moss.Hull KR - scored the try of the year,for Bradford,at Odsal,in The Championship a couple of years ago.

Ash Robson signed from Castleford due to 2 wingers first choice before him.He played for York last year.Jake Butler Fleming,Aussie,Hull Kr,played for York last year.He had signed for Toronto but York have him.Like Moss full-time and can move.

Our players had been sat on a coach for approx 8 hours and were then expected to catch full time Super League players.

The entire York club are on the crest of a wave.The actual owner is Mark Campbell who owns Featherstone Rovers.

A bunch of strangers aren't going to get anywhere near full time rugby league players.

It was far from a pleasant experience and another very hard lesson for the players.

We lost 2 points.We only need to win 2 games to make progress from last year.

It's achievable.The defeat hasn't lost one of the people who follow the club who were

in attendance.We keep the faith.

It seems one of our players should be announced as signing for another League 1 club,

this week.Very disappointing.

Onwards to Odsal.Wonder if we can do better than we did in the LCC?

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 12:12
Cast-iron I continue to admire your ability to find positives in a seemingly negative solution, but I have to take issue with some of these statements....

Quote:
cast-Iron13
It may be that they had not trained together.
Surely training together is what a team does and - to my point a week ago - why were they brought in so late and who thought it would make a difference if they could not train.

Quote:
cast-Iron13
In their side - as mentioned on the other website.Aussie Keiron Moss.Hull KR - scored the try of the year,for Bradford,at Odsal,in The Championship a couple of years ago.

Ash Robson signed from Castleford due to 2 wingers first choice before him.He played for York last year.Jake Butler Fleming,Aussie,Hull Kr,played for York last year.He had signed for Toronto but York have him.Like Moss full-time and can move.
The York coach is paid to assemble the best side he can within the league rules, are we to complain when he does his job?

Quote:
cast-Iron13
Our players had been sat on a coach for approx 8 hours and were then expected to catch full time Super League players.
Did no-one look at an atlas and work out it would take 8 hours? The club knew the geography and has known that geography since the outset.

Quote:
cast-Iron13
A bunch of strangers aren't going to get anywhere near full time rugby league players.
I've said it before and will again, they should not be strangers and the York media report saying this result is BAD for the games reputation was spot on. The club was patently not ready.

Quote:
cast-Iron13
We lost 2 points.We only need to win 2 games to make progress from last year.
This has to be the most "half full" point you made, that 2 wins is progress/acceptable.

I am not having a go at you cast-iron, the opening banner asks us to respect all sincerely held views and I agree with that, but you opened with the line about "giving perspective" and sadly I cannot see it from the same perspective.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 12:35
I'm afraid CI that week after week of excuses such as it's "a long coach journey" just seem so hollow:, the distances haven't changed since the club was formed - nobody has moved York!! The club were playing in this division last season albeit under a different name.

All the hype of announcing new signings and re-signings day by day grabbed people's attention for all the right reasons.

Now we are grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons...

We have now played six games scoring 32 points and conceding 514! Our average score is 85-5!!

When the Ironmen moved to Stebonheath they won their first game there, a win this season seems a million miles away.

My worry is the damage being done to the sport in the area, nobody likes getting beaten but these scores are thrashings and cannot be good for anybody.

Bradford will not want to fall behind York in the "points for" table so I suspect will be looking to score a hatfull next weekend.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 13:00
Thought(s) for the day courtesy of Yorkpress.co.uk

Gaffe of the match: West Wales’ decision to go onto the field.

Gamebreaker: the manner of the kick off and York’s first try inside a minute indicated the Welsh strugglers, a ragbag and bobtail bunch of apparent misfits, were going to get absolutely walloped.

If this were boxing, the towel would be well and truly in the ring by now but I fear the long suffering fans will have to put up with more of this humiliation for a lot longer.

Penybont Crusader
01 May, 2018 15:31
Who is the 'star' player who is moving on this week ? Connor Farrar ? Steve Parry ?

Long journeys are a feature of playing L1 football and can be broken up by overnight stays - something the club did for Workington I believe. Even if they had got to Birmingham it would have been a reduced journey.

If these signings are - as they look to me - desperation in order to simply get 17 players for a game then this is real danger time - especially if out 'star' players are signing elsewhere in the midst of an injury crisis.

This game - and the next vs the Bulls should be the nadir of the season and hopefully then there will be some progress.

I fear for the club at the minute.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 17:54
I came here for a rest - after being on the other forum where they are all having a pop -

but it ain't any easier,here.

The travelling this was just alluding to the fact that it isn't great preparation before facing full time athletes from higher leagues.

It was pretty impressive of the club to provide overnight stopovers for the 2 games in Cumbria.

It is also pretty impressive that rugby league fans,on here,are cut up about the result.

The board want to develop young local Welsh talent.Signing or using full time or experienced part time players from elsewhere would defeat the objective.

The club has a number of injuries - particularly in key positions - and no side can be successful in that situation.

Seeing 514 conceded has actually surprised me.I'm sure Gateshead Thunder would have conceded more in 2007 before winning the league in 2008.Crusaders did the double over them
and won the title in 2007.

James Ford,the York coach,last week stated League 1 is now the equivalent of The Championship 5 years ago.

The Championship now has 5 full time teams in it.

To match the League 1 clubs - with their dual reg - will cost an inordinate amount of money.Even if the club won the League 1 title they would then be immediately relegated the following year in The Championship.

When the anger susbsides what do the posters on this thread want the club to do? How do they think they should do it? What is the plan when the money runs out and the players from outside the area have left the area?

Is there a club out there that you think holds up as an example we should follow?

I am just a supporter of the game.I have not seen a competitive game in 2018.I don't have a problem because I know of the injuries and the absences.I believe developing the local talent is the way ahead.

The Chinese proverb I read on the BBC last week was - The longer the string the higher the kite will fly.

Make a long term plan have the foundations for success and the longer the success you will have.

Over at the riches sports club in the world - Manchester united - The under 23's got relegated.No one is bothered.Either stakeholders.Owners.Head coach Nicky Butt;one of the class of 92.That is because he wants them playing to a certain system.

Round Ball Stuff

Our home game,hurrah,on Sunday 13th May,against Doncaster should be good.

Here is the Doncaster CEO - talking recently - Back Chat

The player who has left is Ash Bateman.Gone to Coventry.

Steve Parry has been playing in the halves.Connor is due back,I believe.Good news.

Rugby league journalists were recently described by Gary Hetherington.The ones in York are not worth bothering with.

Also,before I lay down my weary head,this travelling does exhaust me,no one outside of rugby league enthusiasts will be aware of the scoreline.The club should be making every effort to increase the attendances for the home games in June.

As stated earlier,no one will abandon the club who was present at York.

Keep the faith...

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 18:30
Is the Doncaster game on 13th May definitely gping ahead on that date. The Doncaster site was showing P-P and of course the WWR website is more out of date than last years calendar, which is worrying.

Penybont Crusader
01 May, 2018 19:30
I know the financial commitments an overnight stay have, but I would have to question the financial stability/strength of the club if these longer distances cant be divided up by overnight stays.

The developing players from locality is laudable but having played, coached and been involved in team management in Nat Conf (BARLA) Summer Conference (RFL) and National League three clubs in expansion areas it doesn't work on its own. You have to have some experience and that has to be in the spine of the team.

If you want a club that did that my old club Skolars is the example or even NWC now. Even when the club (Skolars) first started Kiwi and Oz players in the expat community in London were used by the club as they gave experience to primarily SRL players (albeit some pretty damn good ones) Its not abandoning the objective its just good sense to do so in an area where RU is strong (particularly so at the minute in Llanelli) and you need to show a sceptical set of locals that the club is a serious proposition and not a laughing stock.

The club in its various guises has been shuffling along for the past three/four seasons and the bright future seems further off now than before, despite the optimism when it was taken over and relocated.

We all want a stronger, better club but its increasingly difficult with a lack of communication - barring Andrew Thorne's statement post game - from within the club, a website that is poorly put together with numerous mistakes/obvious glitches and a team on the pitch that is being hammered every week.

Lets hope the sun shines on Stebonheath for the Raiders sooner rather than later.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 23:56
CI, you ask what the realists here want the club to do as if somehow there is a desire to talk them down, it is not! I cannot speak for the others but personally, I guess, I would like some sense that the club has a real plan and for me the repeated mantra that things can only get better rather went out with New Labour.

The geography will not change, Bristol may or may not reform but beyond that it is 200ish miles to London, 170ish to Coventry, 150 odd to Wrexham and 200+ to everyone else in the division. S Wales will always have a long trip to be made on a shoestring budget - being in league 1 - with part time players that may or may not have work commitments. Fans might not like it, but Welsh RL in this tier will always be up against it compared to heartland sides or better funded sides. The "local" experienced players that the northern sides can call on in emergencies do not exist for a Wales side, so if you are recruiting experience it would have to be done more permanently for part time players need a reason (and a job?) to re-locate. There are kids - and I use the term loosely - that have grown up playing the game, not as many as in the north, but some who can form the basis of a community club if it is given time to grow which I think was your point. But how long will those players hang around for this on the back of repeated thrashings or if an RU club comes calling?

No-one wants to spend money that doesn't exist but if you do not have the money to compete at a basic level why are you playing in a semi-pro league when you could be playing in the amateur ranks?

It pains me to say it but I think the sport would have been better served if the pro-license had been suspended rather than passed on like a poisoned chalice each time. If we are realistic it should probably have happened when the WRL had to step in after the first Scorpions ownership sold out, but IMHO, WWR misjudged the step-up to pro rugby and the results and more importantly the performance rather pay testament to that fact.

You are right they should build from the beginning, but this division is probably not the place to be doing that.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Rogero
Is the Doncaster game on 13th May definitely gping ahead on that date. The Doncaster site was showing P-P and of course the WWR website is more out of date than last years calendar, which is worrying.

Yes - It is on the 13th.This is the weekend of the next round of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup and it was arranged before Doncaster played Featherstone.As the Donny CEO is fully aware that Donny fans are quite critical it wasn't shown on the website as it would have been interpreted as defeatist.Their website should now be updated.I am sure our site shows it - The navigation of the site does take some getting used to.Going through all 5 sub-headings usually does it.

They do have Mark Asquith,an Australian,to play half back,but he is injured.Connor Farrer and Steve Parry for hooker but given the current circumstances young Macauley Harris has been thrown in at the deep end and Steve Parry has gone in the halves.We have not been able to play the same halves in successive games this year.The last 2 games have had different full backs.

Good post jd.We are where we are,though and things can only get better if people hold their nerve and get through this difficult time.Ever presents like Archie Snook don't seem to be too disheartened despite the defeats.

Seems the Keighley chairman has resigned today.I think some clubs may have overspent for this campaign and those clubs who fail to gain promotion may have an even more difficult time.

I just want to see how we get on - both on the pitch and off - during the month of June.

An impressive performance on Sunday may turn around the public perception.

** Just to add a bit more context to the game at York on Sunday.

St Helens rumoured to be about to sign the York second rower who played,Joe Batchelor.

Hull KR have taken,on a months loan,the St Helens hooker who played for York,on Sunday.

I make that 2 more Super League quality players to those already experienced and playing at that level **

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 17:05 by cast-Iron13.

lewj
lewj (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 07:29
It is like groundhog day on here.

Seems the same messages that were being posted about Scorpions and Ironmen not so long ago.

Call me defeatist, negative, whatever you like. South/West Wales Rugby League is not going to compete until it has a better financial clout than Northern Clubs. It needs more given it's location. The club is more remote now than it has ever been and you need more money to entice players to it.

Growing the club organically is pie in the sky.
Let us say for arguments sake we produced another Ben Flower or Regan Grace. They would be gone into some SL development squad before we knew it.
The contracts of those players seem as flimsy as ever and I honestly feel this is more to benefit the club than the player but backfires in a big way when some other club comes calling.

How is a club to progress when it cannot spend enough to sign the quality to compete or train the quality as they will be cherry picked?

You see comments here of "They'll come good". Yes and as the past has shown they will move North for more than we are paying them.

Success down here will correspond with cold hard cash as it did under Celtic Crusaders. Until that time I would honestly like us to revert as two or three clubs across South Wales to the Southern Conference. What started down Llanelli as very promising went downhill with a succession of signings who, if we're being honest with ourselves, have never been at the required level and are very unlikely to be in the future.

The current plight, and the York defeat, is getting us column inches but is very embarrassing indeed.

UlsterFan
03 May, 2018 09:14
Lewis - nothing said in your post can be argued against.

I fear for the scoreboard at Odsal.

Hindsight is a great thing but the Celtic Crusaders were on the verge of moving to Rodney Parade (they played Leeds Rhinos there) before it all started going wrong. A decade later and we in our latest guise are re-writing history

South Wales fans will not follow losing teams season after season, but give them some success (as you know only too well with the city) and they come out in their droves.

Season after season of getting well beaten has now become even worse, what is going on for the 80 minutes isn't helping the sport develop; and I fear the promotion hunting boys will not want to fall behind on the points difference table either.

I know the players are giving 100% but the team needs strengthening with experience.

lewj
lewj (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 12:29
Oh yes, I am not knocking the lads who pull on the shirt for one second.
They are on a hiding to nothing (literally in the case of the York game) and give their all.

The constant opinion of 'we will get there' has been churned out time and again.

If anything we are as far from getting there as we have ever been.

We will not get anywhere near competing without a decent cash injection as any decent players produced will be taken by bigger clubs and we're not producing enough to be able to compete.
Simply continuing as we are is a stay of execution.

I honestly believe with our current level of finances in the game in South and West Wales the southern conference is the best way to go. Get three or four teams competing against one another on the M4 corridor and if the finances dictate have another go with the best of this bunch plus around half a squad of experienced players.
I can't see that, if players want to play RL, whether the players currently playing within the Raiders squad could not be retained barring a few as put simply where else would they play?

For those who keep saying 'we will get there' then can you outline how you expect that to happen when we can't keep hold of talent and why haven't we already got there doing what we are doing? We have done exactly the same thing season on season and finished in the lower reaches with this season currently being our worst by some distance.

I am all for positivity but blind positivity in the face of cold hard facts is plain stupidity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net