rugbyunion
Latest News:

cast-Iron13
Oldham Roughyeds - Away Sunday 8th July
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 15:03
Not good timing that Oldham lost at home at the weekend to Workington.

They were without dual reg players and seem to have some injuries.

Having watched WWR concede penalties on the 3rd or 4th tackle and then concede a try on the 3rd or 4th tackle on Saturday the review from the Oldham coaching staff did have a certain ring to it.

Oldham Coaching Staff Identify Their Failings

Whitebank Stadium has a 4g pitch - which did have a distinct slope - but I believe is now levelled.

The 'stadium' was taken over by Avro FC,non-league soccer club,who had the improvements done to what was one of the worst stadiums I had visited,as it was devoid of any terracing.

jd1664.
Re: Oldham Roughyeds - Away Sunday 8th July
jd1664. (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:29
I assume you mean it's not good for WWR to be playing Oldham coming off the back of their loss last week?

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:55
Those cheeky other clubs keep signing players and doing positive things, and then to rub salt in the wounds they score more tries than WWR!

Keep smiling guys!

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 18:38
I was heading to similar territory thinking it was hard to claim any one Saturday was a ďbad day to play someoneĒ when you have shipped a minimum of 48 points in the last few months and most games 60-80 points.

Given the club have apparently written off this year I donít envy anyone asked to put their body ďon the lineĒ for a meaningless game.

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 07:08
London Skolars scored more points in the first half than skybet expected them to win by in the whole match....

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 16:13
Quote:
jd1664.
I assume you mean it's not good for WWR to be playing Oldham coming off the back of their loss last week?

Yes.

It looks like Oldham have some injuries and also have dual reg problems.

I was reminded of sports psychologists when I read a piece about a former England soccer

manager Glen Hoddle.It seems his man-management skills weren't great but some/many/most of the players who accepted the input from people he recruited thought it was beneficial.

I thought I read a local'ish' university sports psychologist was currently studying elite performance through exhaustion...or similar,anyway,I put the information about a Mr Shearer ( a name some may be familiar with ) on the Facebook page.

He could visit and speak to the players before taking it further,couldn't he?

I just think it must be emotionally and mentally exhausting playing against more experienced players week to week.

They should be more relaxed away from home.here's hoping!

Oldham Have Squad Worries For Sunday

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 05:42
CI13 you have his it on the head when you say "I just think it must be emotionally and mentally exhausting playing against more experienced players week to week."

That is what many of us on here have been saying / are worried about. Since the opening week it has been apparent the players as a group are not good enough to compete in the division, sadly those brought in since the season started have not made much of a difference. Hence we are in a very difficult position.

The players who pull on the shirts are giving 100% - no doubt about that, but at times it is men against boys.What effect this will have in the long term is unknown - it could go one of two ways I suppose.

We have two games coming up against the Bears - surely these must be winnable?

If strength comes from lessons learned in defeat we will be a different team next season!

Fingers crossed....

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 15:04
It hasn't just been a step up to play League 1 standard players.

The main try scorer in the record defeat at York went on to score a hat trick for Hull KR

v Hull FC at the Magic Weekend.

The main guy at Bradford later signed for Castleford.

Even today,the main player,again,in our last away game v Keighley,has just signed for Championship club Dewsbury Rams Source

There have been that many changes,week to week,I don't think it will be detrimental in the long run.

Our players with the most appearances appear to be our best performers despite everything they have had to contend with - on and off the field.

Youngsters form is known to dip,yet our fellas keep at a very good level.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 07:41
Our usual luck returns as Oldham link up on dual reg with Leigh Centurions and will have

access to their players for Sunday.

Some interesting stuff about our full back Phil Cowburn.

Local Press Report

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 08:19
Skybet have given WWR an 86 point start in the handicap betting. They give us no chance whatsoever obviously.

I am going to Castleford v Leeds today - it's been a long time since I saw a SL match in the flesh. Kevin Sinfield is back at Leeds.

Hopefully the air con is working.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 09:11
Brilliant sports day yesterday by the roadside in France for the Tour followed by bar for Ingurland where as far as I could see even the locals were pleased. I suppose it was too much to hope for a WWR hat trick.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 19:01
Yes it was way too much to expect

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:43
WWR concede 100 points in a match for the third time this season.

Most clubs have never done that in their entire history. 2018 will never be forgotten!

WWR have finally scored 100 points for the season - it has taken them 15 games to get there though. And were level for a while yesterday?

My day on the terraces at Castleford was great - what a superb club / magnificent support and a grand exhibition of top class rugby league too.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:46
Just seen that this was Oldham's biggest ever win - it is their record victory of all time.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 22:52
Quote:
Rogero
WWR concede 100 points in a match for the third time this season.
Most clubs have never done that in their entire history. 2018 will never be forgotten!

WWR have finally scored 100 points for the season - it has taken them 15 games to get there though. And were level for a while yesterday?

My day on the terraces at Castleford was great - what a superb club / magnificent support and a grand exhibition of top class rugby league too.

It has been a brilliant turn around - by Castleford - since they were about to hit a financial mess and the CEO at the time,Ferresleft the club.

Ferres Goes February 2013

Confirmed - August 2014

Did okay after appointing a new coach and giving him time to build a squad.

Our lot arrived in Oldham,on the hottest day of the year,with only 16 players,one who debuted with no experience of League 1.

Our young players did very well.

Scoreline would have been known as the team coach travelled to the ground.

2 signings to be announced this week.

What are the odds on us not finishing bottom of the league,and the wooden spoon NOT remaining in Wales?

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 07:23
Quote:
What are the odds on us not finishing bottom of the league,and the wooden spoon NOT remaining in Wales?

Two chances, fat chance and no chance!

Even if the club win their remaining game against Hemel the points difference still leaves them bottom so they have to find another point somewhere. I canít see that happening, can you?

What am I saying, of course You can!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 08:15 by jd1664..

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 10:34
Quote:
jd1664.
Quote:

Two chances, fat chance and no chance!

Even if the club win their remaining game against Hemel the points difference still leaves them bottom so they have to find another point somewhere. I canít see that happening, can you?

What am I saying, of course You can!

Home and away against Coventry - containing their Welsh contingent,to add to the rivalry,also.

Lots can change with the remaining fixtures.Opposition clubs may have more financial woes.

I reminded myself how things quickly changed for one club with an Australian coach.

I looked at the final league placings for 2007 - wasn't as bad as I remembered it.

2nd bottom at the end of the season

A whole off season working on fitness and team bonding.A little inspiration from the spoken words of actor Al Pacino.A little vid to connect with and engage the supporters.

Fighting For Every Inch

Top Of The League And Promotion

Doncaster had Ellery Hanley coaching.Backed by a millionaire,Harrison,who is now the players agent - Show Me The Money! They had Luke Gale at half back.

We've got more home games left than away games.I think,and hope,that is a positive.

I'll feel more confident in a day or two.When the signings are announced.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 15:54
Signings to be announced?

Hopefully some effective backbone for the team.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 22:11
Iím sorry but why would you sign someone now, the season has long since been over! No-one gets relegated and IMhO anything other than bottom position is a dream.

If the club is wasting cash in a signing now they are even more inept than I imagined. The time to invest was at the start of the season.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 12:48
Quote:
jd1664.
Iím sorry but why would you sign someone now, the season has long since been over! No-one gets relegated and IMhO anything other than bottom position is a dream.
If the club is wasting cash in a signing now they are even more inept than I imagined. The time to invest was at the start of the season.

It may be that the players have signed as they recognise that the bad times are about to change.

They may have been informed of the future plans and which players will represent the club in 2019.

They may have discovered that the grass isn't greener,elsewhere.

There are some very important games to come,and points to gain.

We host the top 2 at Stebonheath Park and there are some good challenges ahead.

There may also have been a lot of outgoings;we also have a large number of injuries.

We need the players - particularly those who want to play for us - and are able to travel to away games.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 14:18
That is a lot of good reasons for a player to sign but my question was why would the club sign them now when they will be available for the start of next season.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 18:07
Quote:
jd1664.
That is a lot of good reasons for a player to sign but my question was why would the club sign them now when they will be available for the start of next season.

Ah.Good point,well presented.I'm guessing it might be that we seem to lack leadership on the field.

A bit more experience would be of assistance to those young lads who are giving their all.

I do miss the statistics.In our case I would like to see the stats for Archie Snook,in particular.

From the Oldham game - the Oldham fans got the stats for their players.The 2 on dual reg being very impressive.

Stats

Hooley-3 tackles.one offload. 10 tackle busts. 5 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 17 carries=247m

West-1 tackle. one miss. 4 offloads. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. 13 carries=105m

Holmes-7 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. one try assist. 11 carries=81m

McComb-7 tackles. 11 tackle busts. 4 clean breaks. one try assist. 13 carries=205m

Kershaw-1 tackle. one offload. 8 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 13 carries=181m

Crook-2 tackles. one offload. 3 carries=17m

Hewitt-1 tackle. one offload. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 2 try assists. 9 carries=110m

Spencer-18 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. one clean break. 9 carries=86m

Owen-13 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 4 try assists. 4 carries=29m

Davies-11 tackles. one miss. one offload. one tackle busts.. 12 carries=106m

Bridge-9 tackles. 2 offloads. 5 tackle busts. 2 try assists. 6 carries=49m

Briscoe-13 tackles. one tackle bust. one try assist. 7 carries=75m

Bent-25 tackles. 3 carries=11m

subs

Cunningham-10 tackles. 2 offloads. 12 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 15 carries=195m

Jones-14 tackles. 4 tackle busts. 10 carries=84m

Nelmes-10 tackles. one offload. one try assist. 7 carries=58m

Dezaria-6 tackles. 2 offloads. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 5 carries=28m

I do know our weren't so good.[:wor kid:]

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 18:07
Quote:
jd1664.

Ah.Good point,well presented.I'm guessing it might be that we seem to lack leadership on the field.

A bit more experience would be of assistance to those young lads who are giving their all.

I do miss the statistics.In our case I would like to see the stats for Archie Snook,in particular.

From the Oldham game - the Oldham fans got the stats for their players.The 2 on dual reg being very impressive.

Stats

Hooley-3 tackles.one offload. 10 tackle busts. 5 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 17 carries=247m

West-1 tackle. one miss. 4 offloads. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. 13 carries=105m

Holmes-7 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. one try assist. 11 carries=81m

McComb-7 tackles. 11 tackle busts. 4 clean breaks. one try assist. 13 carries=205m

Kershaw-1 tackle. one offload. 8 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 13 carries=181m

Crook-2 tackles. one offload. 3 carries=17m

Hewitt-1 tackle. one offload. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 2 try assists. 9 carries=110m

Spencer-18 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. one clean break. 9 carries=86m

Owen-13 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 4 try assists. 4 carries=29m

Davies-11 tackles. one miss. one offload. one tackle busts.. 12 carries=106m

Bridge-9 tackles. 2 offloads. 5 tackle busts. 2 try assists. 6 carries=49m

Briscoe-13 tackles. one tackle bust. one try assist. 7 carries=75m

Bent-25 tackles. 3 carries=11m

subs

Cunningham-10 tackles. 2 offloads. 12 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 15 carries=195m

Jones-14 tackles. 4 tackle busts. 10 carries=84m

Nelmes-10 tackles. one offload. one try assist. 7 carries=58m

Dezaria-6 tackles. 2 offloads. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 5 carries=28m

I do know our weren't so good.[:wor kid:]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net