rugbyunion
Latest News:

Rogero
York looking for a big win on Saturday..
Rogero (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 07:04
As mentioned elsewhere and now it has been confirmed:

"York now turn their attentions to the long trip south to Llanelli next Saturday where they will take on the West Wales Raiders at Steboneath Park, looking to gain two more league points and hopefully claw back some of the leaders Bradford Bulls superior points difference, as the League 1 title race really hots up…"

(taken from yorkcityknights.com)

Hopefully the WWR will have 17 players available, and hopefully the weather may have cooled.

cast-Iron13
Re: York looking for a big win on Saturday..
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 12:53
I would like to think that there is huge determination amongst the players to put right the world record score against them when the fixture was played at Bootham Crescent.

Look at the publicity generated for Coventry when they reversed a 96 points defeat to Keighley,and turned it into a victory at their home game.

98-6 defeat at Keighley in May

30-20 victory in Coventry in July.

Many of the players representing West Wales Raiders,and their coach,at York,are no longer at the club.

York no longer have the players from Hull KR that were available to them,earlier in the season.

The referee will be Michael Mannifield who I do not think we have had this season.

The York head coach completes his 2 match touchline ban - He Lost His Control And Swore - Will He Be Made To Curse Again?

I hope the Welsh players want to do everything they can to assist Welsh national coach John Kear,and his Bradford club,in their challenge for the top slot.

I still think the club could have made some money around this game - I hope they put their thinking caps on for when Bradford Bulls arrive at Stebonheath Park,next month.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 15:58
Surprisingly,I have seen the 2x19 man squads for Saturday on the RFL website

Winning York Squad

York City Knights don't seem to have any dual reg player in the squad with Super League experience.

They have Ormondroyd and Jordan-Roberts signed from Leeds,though

Chilton has been signed from a York community club - he plays at full back and Mazive is a winger far from certain under a high ball.However,if he catches it,he can shift.So I hope he isn't allowed to get into his stride.

Cockayne has Super League experience - he is temperamental - and is playing in the halves.

Looking forward to us breathing fire...for 80 full-blooded minutes!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 20:44
An interesting perspective from the York Press.

I reckon he just filled in some blank space as he doesn't seem too well-informed about West Wales Raiders players.

I had forgotten Roche is on loan from Super League Huddersfield Giants.

Local Press Report

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 23:32
I have lifted this small part of the piece from

[www.yorkpress.co.uk] for reference and information.

"....West Wales, meanwhile, have struggled to get a full team out in recent weeks, with only 14 players available for last week's home hammering by Hunslet.

However, they will have a much stronger squad this weekend - stronger too than that which turned out at Bootham Crescent - with the likes of Rochdale loanee Callum Mulkeen, goalkicking full-back Lewis Reece on loan from Whitehaven, and Welsh international hooker Connor Farrer, back after a spell on the sidelines, all included in another much-changed line-up.

Raiders (possible): Reece, Claridge, Haile, Lewis, Silver, Williams, Parry, B Phillips, Higgs, A Pope, Kaye, Mulkeen, Elliott. Subs: from Farrer, Kearns, D Phillips, R Pope, Snook, Willacott."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 23:34 by Rogero.

lewj
lewj (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 16:48
0-130

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 16:39
World record away win!

Well the Raiders didn't get any revenge for the 144-0 match at Bootham Crescent...

I was in London on Saturday, returning to South Wales earlier today - that must have been painful to watch? And to play in.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 19:19
Only one replacement again yesterday - only 14 men named in match day submission.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 19:21
from info on total rl only 13 actually plqyed...

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 20:03

I started to make the same pt about 13/14 players then realise dit had been said. There seems no way to delete a posting or completely blank it so the point had to suffice!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2018 11:32 by jd1664..

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 20:38
Not a good day.

Apparently some players attended a wedding.

I did hear a rumour about the doctor situation from last week - but as a doctor was in attendance,yesterday,and that side of things was okay,I shall consign the information to the dustbin.

Suffice to say,it was well beyond the control of the club so no blame can be apportioned for that.

Maybe next Saturday can be a NON-controversial day and West Wales Raiders are not the target for too many people.

No one said it was going to be easy...

Miserable weather,miserable day.The CEO spending 80 minutes carrying on the tee for the restarts.

It is impressive how much enthusiasm and commitment the owner and CEO show the sport and the club.

I'm just punch drunk.

I hope it gets better.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 22:39
Quote:
Cast-Iron 13
Not a good day.
Apparently some players attended a wedding.

I did hear a rumour about the doctor situation from last week - but as a doctor was in attendance,yesterday,and that side of things was okay,I shall consign the information to the dustbin.

Suffice to say,it was well beyond the control of the club so no blame can be apportioned for that.

Maybe next Saturday can be a NON-controversial day and West Wales Raiders are not the target for too many people.

No one said it was going to be easy...

Miserable weather,miserable day.The CEO spending 80 minutes carrying on the tee for the restarts.

It is impressive how much enthusiasm and commitment the owner and CEO show the sport and the club.

I'm just punch drunk.

I hope it gets better.

I am appalled, especially after last week when some players were on holiday / working..

This week they are at a wedding?!!

Is it me?

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 22:57
CI I don't think the Raiders are the target you talk about but there is a general disatisfaction on this board with the way they are being (mis)run!! Everyone here, I think, wants them to succeed but no-one is prepared to write a blank cheque for this aim and swallow the continual D-Ream line that is peddled week-in week-out.

Wedding's are not organised in a week, my niece booked a year ahead for hers, so did no-one think to ask who was available and sort out replacements?

The CEO's tee carrying skills are not in doubt but just maybe that job is better done by someone already on the sideline - waterboy maybe - and his skills would have been better utilised rustling up 17 players from somewhere.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 22:57
And no it's not just you Rogero.................

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 15:26
As it was the former All Golds players,and they were signed once the season was underway,

I'm guessing it was arranged well in advance,by them.

Whether they informed the club on signing,or whether the club thought they may have replacements,but then the Under 19's tournament was arranged;I dunno.

It doesn't do the feelgood factor any good,I must agree.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 21:46
Some interesting,nay encouraging,words from the York City Knights head coach

Post Match Comments From York Head Coach

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 00:01
I almost stopped reading at "hapless" but if you persevere there are better good words further down.

I hope they are genuine - everyone speaks kindly of the facilities and set-up - but for me the telling comment was "If they can develop a community game there.....".

I think what I find most disappointing is we have had semi pro / pro rugby in South Wales for over 12 years now, going back to year one of the Crusaders, and that is time enough you would have thought for the first generation youngsters to have been inspired, trained, played and retired! Sadly, and this speaks to the game generally, not the current franchise, we just do not seem to have managed that. I am sure that people will point to individual successes now playing in Super League or League 1, but generally there has been a failure to develop the schools, youth and community clubs to the point that there is a conveyor belt of talent who were born and bred in the code, not players struggling to adapt from a different version of the game.

I should say I do not think it is the Raiders job, nor was it the job of the Ironmen, Scorpions and Crusaders, to develop the entire community infrastructure and that was a wider task. It is all very well the current (semi) pro team running age levels but you need a much wider player base; as the old adage goes, the wider the base, the higher the pyramid.

To quote Michael Scott, "Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation.". I guess this comment is like that, I started by acknowledging the kind words then sort of got stuck in the realisation that James Ford's comments had a real sting in the tail as far as I was concerned. I am not sure I have an answer and to be honest I am not sure I totally know what the question is, but the available talent is, as this seasons shortages have shown, just too thin and unless you want to buy 17 bodies from "up nawth" you are probably always doomed to fail in Wales if you cannot find an answer.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 20:24
That is a very good post - and one which I agree with.

The entire sport has been allowed to wither on short-termism and I'm alright,Jack attitudes.

I think it was Damian Irvine,former CEO of Cronulla Sharks,on Back Chat,who stated the sport hurries into changes without first thinking what the end product is,that they want,then working towards that end.

As for the 17 players - it was left to a head coach who is no longer head coach.

I think Kim Williams will have ideas on who he wants for 2019 and they may NOT be from 'up north'

Amongst those not good enough,now,or ever,there have been some very good individual displays from 18/19/20 yrs old Welsh youngsters.

The player pathways are getting sorted and it may just be a bit better than many places up north.

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 09:13
This thread and the quality of many of the postings just shows why this long standing website remains the place for common sense debate about RL in South and West Wales.

I fear the club will go through 2018 having lost every single match and many by unbelievable scores, I am not sure how good that is for the game but if next year is better then it may well have been worth it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net