rugbyunion
Latest News:

Penybont Crusader
In the words of Lenin
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 13:22
What is to be done ?

The latest information on last weeks game from a poster on Total RL forums says this:

Apparently on Friday the game was off as WW couldn't get a doctor. Hunslet arranged for theirs to travel down on the team bus but he slept in. He then made is own way down and was 15 minutes late. Shambles from start to finish.

If this is in any way true the fact that as a 'pro' club we were about to call a game off because a doctor was not available - DESPITE the club 'signing' not one but two earlier in the season after the first game farce - is almost indelible proof that the club is not for this level in its current guise.

We can talk about steep learning curves all we want but this is a player welfare issue that would have caused a game to be called off.

Until the club directly addresses these issues in public I cannot see how they hope to build a credible semi-professional club in the eyes of supporters.

The club clearly needs help but the lack of communication from within remains baffling.

Rogero
Re: In the words of Lenin
Rogero (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 14:20
Oh my goodness...

(speechless)

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 14:34
The official club website still shows the two recently appointed doctors on there complete with pictures, BUT this is the same official club website that still shows Phil Carleton as interim head coach and still has the result of the London Skolars match wrong.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 19:13
I am a firm believer that nothing is impossible if you are prepared to spend; are those the only two doctors in the whole of Llanelli?

I've been trying to find (unsuccessfully) what a League 1 club gets financially from the RFL, does anyone know?

Penybont Crusader
08 August, 2018 19:32
75 000 a season give or take a couple of grand.

To put this season into context the 2014 season at Maesteg was run on pretty much that budget and match day revenues alone.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 13:37
Thanks Penybont, I will say that is more than I was expecting.

I have to say that if I was the Financial Controller at RFL I would be wondering where the cash is being spent and one wonders what the diligence process is before allocating 75k to a team so patently unready for the step-up.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 15:51
Quote:
jd1664.
Thanks Penybont, I will say that is more than I was expecting.
I have to say that if I was the Financial Controller at RFL I would be wondering where the cash is being spent and one wonders what the diligence process is before allocating 75k to a team so patently unready for the step-up.

I would think the travel costs are more expensive than any other club in the division.

I don't think any side would be ready if they lose their spine of the side,for whatever reason,at the start of the season.That inckudes the hitherto successful sides,with all that tv money,attendances,and full time operation behind them.

Instant Karma 'as that other Peace-lovin' Lennon,once sang,certainly got us.

Much rather have the problems hit us,and get dealt with,in the first year.Augurs well that it won't be happening in the years to come.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 19:28
Oh bloody heck how stupid of me, it must have been a real surprise this reason to realise how much it cost to get from South Wales to the heartlands. Yes you definitely cannot fault the planning there.

Except, duh, I don't recall the teams from Neath, Maesteg, Philly, Mountain Ash or Merthyr turning up late / short handed or failing to get a medic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 19:29 by jd1664..

Penybont Crusader
09 August, 2018 19:53
Costs getting to away games will only have marginally changed since 2014.

The club has IIRC done a couple of stopovers which cost approx double when you go up and back in one day.

Judge for yourself the efficacy of these.

the owners seem to have deep pockets as I'm hearing that wages for some players are significantly higher than those paid previously.

This season seems to have been a very costly learning exercise for them.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 20:40
Quote:
jd1664.
Oh bloody heck how stupid of me, it must have been a real surprise this reason to realise how much it cost to get from South Wales to the heartlands. Yes you definitely cannot fault the planning there.
Except, duh, I don't recall the teams from Neath, Maesteg, Philly, Mountain Ash or Merthyr turning up late / short handed or failing to get a medic.

You asked about the allocation of the central funding to clubs in League 1.

I stated the obvious in reply.

Not having a full complement of players or attempting to ensure the attendance of a doctor

are a separate matter.

I think John Drake may be covering those issues in the next issue of Rugby League World magazine.

The owner and CEO do devote a huge amount of time to spreading the game - to under age sides,Dragonhearts etc.

As they have a 5 years plan I'm sure all the matters that have arisen this year will be comprehensively reviewed and corrected for 2019.

They can only do their best.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 21:40
Apols CI, no offence intended. I get very frustrated at the continual failure to "turn the corner" and sometimes perhaps my emotions rule my postings.

I do think that a doctor, or lack thereof, was avoidable however it may not have been directly related to the central funding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 21:47 by jd1664..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net