rugbyunion
Latest News:

cast-Iron13
Last Chance - Home v Keighley Cougars
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 11:08
Now,we have the BBC website still showing a 3pm ko.Our last information was a 4pm ko - despite a clash with Scarlets home game.Then the latest,from Keighley was a 2pm ko on Saturday.

This all because we are the ' Acceding 'club.

The referee for the game will be Mr Mannifield.It was he we had when it was wet,raining throughout the game,cold and windy,and we lost 0- 130.

But,despite new owners,the former CEO from Castleford during their recent successful few years now Keighley General Manager,and former successful player Garry Schofield,on the commercial side,all is not harmony and sweetness at The Cougars.

Hopefully,this upsetting syndrome continues on the long coach journey,which isn't viewed with optimism by the Keighley coach - Keighley Coach In Angry Mood

One or two of their better players left the clubduring the recent takeover and one or two have been injured.

Can we possibly win our first game of the year?

We need to lighten the mood.We need a springboard for next year.

Positive Thinking

jd1664.
Re: Last Chance - Home v Keighley Cougars
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 16:08
Perhaps if Hurricane Florence diverts its path through the Bradford district......

Perhaps if foot and mouth returns to northern England.....

Perhaps if the Keighley bus runs out of petrol.....

Perhaps if the month has a Z in it....

and perhaps if all this happens the Raiders may lose by less than 30.

Sorry CI, I knew you try to find the positives but really?

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 17:18
CI is the forum's Mr Positive!

Next year we will all be millionaires - based upon the club's counting techniques!

Onwards and upwards.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:29
Lost 6 - 112

The dreadful 2018 season continues.

Most people were not even sure when this game was going to be played!

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 09:15
Reports of only 12 players.

Do we have any definitive [u][/u]news on signings for 2019 because next seasons going to be an even harder sell than this one without hard factual news soon.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 11:05
Kim Williams arrives next week.

A proper pre-season launch is planned

Kit and leisurewear should be available in good time for Christmas

Obviously,with the RFL now in thrall to Super League the start for next season,and the games planned,and who may be in League 1,is very much open to conjecture.

I don't think championship clubs will be in the best of moods once things are fully disclosed,but from our clubs perspective -the only way is up.

I don't know who,or how many,but those youngsters who may be attending universities outside of Wales may have problems for next season.

A large number of new players may take time to gel but it may be that the off-season is a little longer with a later start,than February,possibly on the agenda of the brains department.Or,another competition may be added.Again.

Quite pleased the year is over,and a planned unwind around the final game at Newcastle Thunder cannot come soon enough.

I am now in preparation mode for a complete overdose on professionalism.

Looking forward to seeing,and experiencing,the difference.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 11:07
Will the club be holding a session for fans to meet Kim and listen to plans ?

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 15:12
The kick off and date was still showing today on the club's official website yesterday!! I

It looks like the club didn't tell the squad either!

TWELVE players for a home game? The statement put out doesn't paint a very healthy picture, the raiders have a squad of 35 players?

Once again the referee gets blamed too.

Thankfully the RFL have got even bigger problems to look at but as a supporter I am very disillusioned.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 15:15
The club statement taken from their facebook page is reproduced here in full. Fans who do not use social media may not have seen it.

“This was always going to be another hard day at the office, especially as we only had 12 fit players available, and things weren't helped early in the second half with the contentious dismissal of Craig Lewis. But, that said, every player that took to the field today can hold their head high and be proud of themselves.

From the very start we were under pressure, but not one player buckled, and the discipline, determination and courage that was shown was second to none.

Again, as has happened a few times this season, we felt we were harshly done to with some of the decisions from the match officials, but the heart and passion of the players kept them going and great credit goes to them all.

We now have one last game, away at Newcastle next Sunday, before the serious work begins. Kim Williams arrives in the country next week and already he has been doing his homework and making plans, which we are looking forward to seeing him implement next season. I'm sure it will be a very tough pre season for the players, but one that will stand us in good stead for the season ahead.

Finally, on behalf of all the directors, i would like to say a big thank you to all the staff and players for their efforts throughout the season, and an extra special thank you to all the fans who have supported us through thick and thin since our inception.

Diolch.”

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 06:14
More from Facebook from the club..

After catching up with club director Ian Curzon yesterday,today we have a chat with club chairman Andrew Thorne on his thoughts of yesterday’s last home fixture of the season.

“I won’t lie it has been a tough season and yesterday has been no exception. We have been on the end of some massive score lines and there are a number of factors that have contributed to these from our coaching changes, experience in the sport but the main one being commitment from players. We have had a core of lads who have turned up week in week out and out their body on the line and I couldn’t ask anymore of these lads, in contrast there are players in the squad that have consistently made excuses to make themselves unavailable and have probably seen their last season in a raiders shirt. Playing at this level is more than just calling yourself a professional player and it takes a lot of commitment.

This Thursday we see Kim Williams arrive at the club and I know he is keen to get started on recruitment and helping fix some of the issues the club has had this season.

As yesterday was our last game of the season I would like to thank all our fans and sponsors who have stuck with us, it’s been tough to watch but thank you for your continued support.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 07:59
Well the bus did not run out of petrol.................

There are a lot of positive noises coming from the club and I think we all hope they are well founded. However, is it just me or does the optimism sometimes grate when you find yourself wishing there was more respect for this season which it appears was "written off" back in about March.

It's rather like Thomas Andrews saying "Well who would have foreseen an iceberg, no matter, this ship is going to end up at the bottom of the ocean but look out for my next one!".

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:37
Quote:
Penybont Crusader
Will the club be holding a session for fans to meet Kim and listen to plans ?

Yes.A proper Season Launch.Shirt presentation.Questions and answers with the head coach.

Food on offer.Obviously players in attendance.I think the club will be upping the game when it comes to output similar to You Tube filming,interviews etc.

It will be open to the general public,as well as the supporters,as by then there should have been some publicity generated,and the Australian folk are brilliant when it comes to the press and media.

I'm looking forward to it....after a pleasant break from it all.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 06:19
Thanks for the updates, as always appreciated by all.

The annoying thing about 2018 has been the fact that professional players have been allowed to choose not to play / get married / go on holiday during the season! As a supporter that is the most unacceptable thing which has happened repeatedly this season.

v Bradford last week we had a full 17 players named but SIX days later only 12 for a HOME GAME too!! It actually reflects badly on the league and is not fair on the teams we played with a full compliment.

The postings from the club allude to this as does some of the things said on social media.

For the sake of completeness I will do a statisical summary after the Newcastle game. For which I wish the players very good luck. It is a long trip to end the season on.

Plus the club must remember they took over any existing team with nearly ten years of tradition and some success. Hopefully Kim Williams will work his magic.

I look forward to further details!

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 06:24
PLus could somebody tell Andrew that the game v Keighley was not our last game of the season! LOL

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 13:10
WWR took over an established (if struggling) structure and were more than happy to take the glory of an initial (and also the club's last) win in the opening game at Stebonheath.

Some of the things which have been experienced in 2018 never happened in the previous ten years - repeatedly not fielding a full squad, twice not even fielding a starting 13 and conceding 100 plus points with monotonous regularity CANNOT be repeated.

This is not being negative, it is stating the obvious and asking for a PROFESSIONAL approach for 2019. Welsh Rugby League has enough problems with new ones of our own making.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 16:58
Well said 40:20. It seems to be a truism of life today that speaking ones mind can be seen as somehow negative if it does not fit the established narrative.

WWR were patently not ready this season, in spite of inheriting the second half of last season to plan and if I were the RFL treasurer I would be asking "just what exactly did we get for our funding?"

Let us hope that all the brave words about next season have some substance.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 19:45
Quote:
jd1664.
Well said 40:20. It seems to be a truism of life today that speaking ones mind can be seen as somehow negative if it does not fit the established narrative.
WWR were patently not ready this season, in spite of inheriting the second half of last season to plan and if I were the RFL treasurer I would be asking "just what exactly did we get for our funding?"

I suppose what the RFL got for their funding was a club which fulfilled the fixtures for South Wales Ironmen last year - and then evened up the fixtures after the disappearance of both All Golds and Oxford.

This year,probably more Welsh born players had an opportunity at League 1 level rugby league,and one or two will hopefully be continuing the experience next year.

It would seem the RFL will not be in control of the funding for much longer and problems may lie ahead in a couple of years.

It would also seem,at this exact moment in time,that dual reg is to continue in the 2019 season.

It may be 2020 that reserve sides are brought back and dual reg.ends.

However,as it is the Rugby League,it could change at a moments notice.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 08:18
Quote:
cast-Iron13
Quote:
jd1664.

I suppose what the RFL got for their funding was a club which fulfilled the fixtures for South Wales Ironmen last year - and then evened up the fixtures after the disappearance of both All Golds and Oxford.

This year,probably more Welsh born players had an opportunity at League 1 level rugby league,and one or two will hopefully be continuing the experience next year.

It would seem the RFL will not be in control of the funding for much longer and problems may lie ahead in a couple of years.

It would also seem,at this exact moment in time,that dual reg is to continue in the 2019 season.

It may be 2020 that reserve sides are brought back and dual reg.ends.

However,as it is the Rugby League,it could change at a moments notice.

Well the club were certainly at the fixtures, sometimes just barely it has to be said, but whether they truly fulfilled them in spirit is questionable. The Raiders were the equivalent of the Italian clubs in the RU Champions Cup group stages where their role is to be a tie breaker in the points-for column of the other clubs.

If £50k - or thereabouts I am told - gets you "one or two players" with league 1 rugby experience then that is quite an expensive apprenticeship when there are probably "one or two hundred" players of similar quality in the community clubs in the north. If the RFL's funding was to develop the game here then so be it, but I wonder what the heartlands clubs would make of that message?

I'm not knocking the Raiders but do question the timing. This season was, probably more than any other in the franchise history, simply unacceptible and I would echo what 40-20 said elsewhere that this could and maybe already has damaged the sport forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2018 08:19 by jd1664..

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 09:20
We all on this forum want RL and WWR to succeed but want we don't need is any more excuses to knock the sport and I believe the points being made by everyone in this thread are that 2018 cannot be repeated.

In 2017 the team were at least reasonably competitive and actually avoided defeat in the odd game. My concern is despite signing / re-signing well over 35 players (possibly more) we sometimes struggled to get a squad together and sometimes couldn't raise a full team. We were told mid season that the squad was being strengthened with good signings but results got worse.

I genuinely believed this year was going to be better than recent seasons, sadly it has been the worst of all and probably the worst series of results in RL history. That is NOT the fault of the players pulling on the jerseys - heaven knows they have given their all. BUT the squad isn't strong enough or even reliable enough to compete.

I travel 110 miles albeit very infrequently (round trip) to watch the team but cannot get anybody apart from my son to come with me, fellow RL supporters don't want to waste a day watching a practice session for the opposition.

I don't like writing this but it is the position 2018 has put us in. Teams have amassed virtually every week their all time record scores (some have new home and away record victories). It hurts trying to flag the RL flag in my local pub on Friday evenings and that is the problem. "How many did they lose by this time? etc etc.."

The professional game is not a past-time it is a brutal business and as the old saying goes if you play with fire you will get burned.

Onto related issues - the official website still has the fixture showing last weekend as to be played on Sunday (it was never corrected) and the result against London is still incorrect. These are only small things but matter and reflect badly on the club and the sport.

I'm almost in tears...

Hopefully 2019 will be so much better...

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 09:34
Spoken from the heart methinks..

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 10:08
JD - you couldn't be more right.

Hopefully Newcastle will not put another "ton up" on the club.

Rogero

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net