rugbyunion
Latest News:

jd1664.
It makes the game look cheap
jd1664. (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 09:31
So it is not just South Wales! It seems Leigh had a bare 13 on the weekend and finished with 11.

I’m sure it happens, perhaps unreported, in the lower RU leagues but for it to happen in the second (semi) pro league just makes the game look stupid.

I thought the ill fated move to franchising was probably the way to go, but it was not to be. There would still have been room for the likes of Toronto but the lower leagues could have been left to the amateurs. However, the old school won and we are back to the system where we try to sustain a pyramid way beyond the financial (and playing) resources of the game.

Rogero
Re: It makes the game look cheap
Rogero (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 09:46
The fall from grace of Leigh is very sad, only three or four years ago they were blazing through long unbeaten runs and got into the top flight.

I am not sure what they problems with RL are, I am going to the grand final later this month - I have not been before so will spend the day in Manchester talking to fans of the game.

Down in South Wales we are always struggling, this season more than ever, but it seems problems are more widespread.

UlsterFan
40:20 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 14:46
agree jd, nothing like this is good for the sport.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 16:10
More than a few clubs have run with less than 17 this year,for a number of reasons.

Injuries and Visa problems for some clubs going to Toronto

Cash problems at the start of the year for Rochdale Hornets

Cash problems,injuries,and the transfer deadline for other clubs.

The Championship Shield Final this weekend between Leigh Centurions,( Super League club

in 2017 ) and Featherstone Rovers may lack the full complement.

Featherstone have 2 players at the discipline panel tonight and they could be banned.

Leigh are hurtling toward administration,if not liquidation.

Both clubs rid themselves of some high-salary players once they missed out on the Top 4

Leigh have not paid some players who are taking the club to court.

All very messy prior to 2019.Neither club may be able to attract the best players.

Both clubs have community clubs of a very high standard within a half decent half back's pass from their stadium.

Neither have a reserve side but the transfer deadline was in place weeks ago.

I have a suspicion that the transfer deadline may take a new look going forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 16:12 by cast-Iron13.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 11:45
I think it's - IMHO - a peculiarly British disease that we often prioritise depth over breadth in sport, ie we go for quantity over quality and most sports "suffer" for it. Cricket is an obvious example, along with RL, where compared to say Sheffield Shield we try to give a living to far too may players. I guess that the model they all aspire too is the soccer pyramid, but even there, the relative disparity between PL and Championship makes the step virtually insurmountable.

Interestingly, you might argue that the one place where the depth model has been junked is in the Olympics and the days when we had a huge team of plucky (failing) brits has been replaced with a top 3 nation. OK, before you snap at my heels, the lottery funding has made a huge difference, though arguably only putting us on a par with the state sponsored athletes of the east and the college athletes of the west, BUT you cannot deny the funding is very targeted - no medal chance = no funds - and the results are clear.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 21:15
But the plucky,failing Brit did their training in the cold,on their own,with no financial reward.

Now,the amateur Olympics are a drugsfest,financed by the Lottery so they can have use of the best facilities.

The medal winners aren't involved in a team sport requiring mental and physical strength in a fast collision sport.

It looks like the governing body are determined to have the fixtures for the season completed,and have allowed dispensation to 2 virtually full-time clubs.Certainly Leigh Centurions are full -time,and have been for years.

Finalists For Shield Allowed Dispensation

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 07:22
Which part of the Olympics are amateur

UlsterFan
04 October, 2018 07:27
Which part of the Olympics are amateur?

The governing body and those in charge of drug testing!

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 07:27
The link is interesting. As you say it seems the Board are determined to get the season done at almost any cost. Integrity of the competition, what integrity?

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 07:28
Quote:
40:20
Which part of the Olympics are amateur?
The governing body and those in charge of drug testing!

Brilliant!!!!!

UlsterFan
04 October, 2018 07:30
I think it was jd who said we have too many top flight teams in most sports in the UK, this is a prime example.

On the plus side I am looking forward to two good demi finals in the Super League race to the grand final..

Di

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 16:55
Quote:
jd1664.
Which part of the Olympics are amateur

Just read up on it.It did start off as amateur.

1992 they let a professional basketball side into the tournament.

In 2016 - golf and boxing participants were still amateur.Apparently.

American Press Report

40:20 - That is such a good reply.(Sm152)

UlsterFan
04 October, 2018 19:45
"40:20 - That is such a good reply.(Sm152)"

I do my best!

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 19:52
Not sure Justin Rose considers himself to be an amateur

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 19:53 by jd1664..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net