rugbyunion
Latest News:

jd1664.
Toronto or London
jd1664. (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 10:42
OK so who do you want?

If this were a "heartland team" v expansion team then the question might be more emotional but I'm curious about the sentiment here?

I'll kick it off and say I would love to see London upset the odds and do it. Another year of second tier will not be the end of the world for Toronto, if they are serious, and it will certainly set up some intriguing competition for the "one up" place with the likes of the Bulls, Toulouse and Vikings (if the finances do not kill them). You might say the same about the Broncos but they have, IMHO, "done their time" and rebuilt wisely with a mix of local and imported players - take note WWR.

Oh and they play within a stones-throw from my roots LOL

Go Broncos!!

Rogero
Re: Toronto or London
Rogero (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 13:20
Agree with you 100%

Million pound game and the last Vanity Fair - great Sunday viewing!

Come on the Broncos!

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 05:47
Final score.

Toronto 2 v London Broncos 4

Not often we see a game with no tries.

London back in the big time - Well done.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 07:08
Well done Broncos.

Sadly the game clashed with NFL Sunday so I missed it live and have it on Q but it’s always harder once you know the score. Maybe watch it on x6 later. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 09:41 by jd1664..

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:54
To loosely quote Alien, "if you talk RL on this board does anyone hear"?

Jeez, the silence was deafening so I guess that's it until next February peeps?

You have your work cut out rogero.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 19:10
I am reading your posts jd!

But it has gone a bit quiet.

Where's CI? Penybont? etc.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 10:28
Quote:
Rogero
I am reading your posts jd!
But it has gone a bit quiet.

Where's CI? Penybont? etc.

I'm just relaxing.

After all the criticism heaped on the Hemel club,and Welsh rugby league,during the year,by those in the heartlands,it is quite amusing to see the MoM performance,by the Broncos full back,being a young fella who passed through Hemel and 13 of the squad are from the south east of England.

Few Welsh born players are now in Super League where an Australian has won Man of Steel.

Big spending Toronoto remain in The Championship and big spending Leigh Centurions,like Toronto without a reserve side or an academy,are having huge financial issues and could very well end up playing in our division in 2019.

Lots going on and that is before our players start to arrive and be announced.

I think we are in a good place.

Big spending Toronto may require a huge turn over on and off the field.

I quite like the head coach at London.His father,a bald headed hooker for Leeds at the back end of the 80's,certainly managed to wind-up opposition supporters while he was on the field.

Grand Final Saturday night so rain is certain.Result not so.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 14:11
Are you Donald Trump in disguise CI?

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 18:37
Busy with work.

Good win for the Broncos and friends who are fans and staff at the club.

London's talent pool is huge and still only scratched on the surface.

Hopefully similar times ahead here in S/W Wales.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 19:01
I agree London seem to have found some local talent which is a positive, but on the downside they will even now be looking (a la Cardiff City) for a worse team next year and IMHO that is not going to be easy.. The Vikings were so abjectly bad it was only the format of the qualifiers that got Leeds, Salford & HKR involved.

It may be a tough ask to be 11th or better given the others have an inherent budgetary head start.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 05:25
I'm off to Manchester for the Grand Final on Saturday. I am undecided which shirt to wear - an old Crusaders one or a Scorpions one or even a very rare ironmen one! I never got round to buying this season's shirt - I'll rectify that in 2019.

Good to know that stalwarts of the forum are still there - onwards and upwards.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:47
Go Crusaders - it was afterall the "high point' of this endeavour

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 15:53
Oh jd you are so right there. I cannot believe we used to stand on the terrace at Bridgend watching Wigan and Huddersfield etc. The beginning of the end was playing Leeds at Rodney Parade....

Celtic Crusaders shirt it is!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 20:14
Quote:
jd1664.
Are you Donald Trump in disguise CI?

Nah.Stormy Daniels likes me just as I am.

I am a little worried about the future funding.

I know the Super League clubs want it all for themselves and League 1 clubs to be denied any funding - but to have different distribution according to an agenda not everyone is aware of,is a particular concern.

This newspaper report seems to cover most of what I have seen,with the number of 'hits' on social media also being of interest to the fund givers

Funding re Barrow Raiders in The Championship

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 21:37
Quote:
Rogero
Oh jd you are so right there. I cannot believe we used to stand on the terrace at Bridgend watching Wigan and Huddersfield etc. The beginning of the end was playing Leeds at Rodney Parade....
Celtic Crusaders shirt it is!

I have never really thought of it that way, but Leeds were the beginning and the beginning of the end!

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 22:57
Quote:
cast-Iron13

......I know the Super League clubs want it all for themselves and League 1 clubs to be denied any funding - but to have different distribution according to an agenda not everyone is aware of,is a particular concern.

Playing devils advocate for a while if you were (say) Saints, playing in front of around 10,000 fans, each week then why would you want to share a single penny of joint revenue with the likes of WWR, with their 100 odd fans and a 14 man match day squad?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:12
Quote:
jd1664.
Playing devils advocate for a while if you were (say) Saints, playing in front of around 10,000 fans, each week then why would you want to share a single penny of joint revenue with the likes of WWR, with their 100 odd fans and a 14 man match day squad?

Well,Mr McManus,was one of those who agreed most strongly when Nigel Wood agreed to the first offer put to the RFL by Sky.

Marwan Koukash disagreed and stated that the RFL ' Should not have married the first girl they met ' and looked for other offers.

McManus disagreed,also,about raising the salary cap and marquee signings,as suggested by Dr Koukash.

McManus,like those at Warrington,struck lucky with a new stadium in conjunction with Tesco.

He has now changed his mind despite agreeing with an earlier signed contract where the central funding for the 'other'clubs was set to continue for another few years.

It is not the fault of the 'other' clubs that the Totally Wicked stadium cannot sell out.

It is not the fault of the other clubs that despite Licensing - despite the flip-flopping

that the home nations cannot defeat Australia.

It is not the fault of the other clubs that St Helens lost money,despite successful years on the pitch,while playing at dilapidated Knowsley Road.

Despite St Helens having their academy go on biennial trips to Australia they still have to sign overseas players,at some cost,to compete at the top.

The current Top 6,or so sides,playing each other,repeatedly,won't increase attendances.

Localised sponsorship,and national sponsorship won't increase.

It is a flawed strategy and there is nothing so certain as it will change again in a couple of years.

Reaching out to more participants is the way ahead.Playing in universities is a start.

Getting the message to the future captains of industry would help.

It seems the clubs representing the other continent,and in France,will increase participation,attendances,and finance and television deals,while in GB the sport will continue to go round in ever decreasing circles.

Sport and success in that sport is cyclical.Putting pins in,at certain times,and pulling up drawbridges at other times,is grossly unfair,and a sign of pure desperation.

We still wait on further from Pearson,at Hull FC - and his quotes from many months ago

Meanwhile,Elstone remains mute.

Still,Hunslet,in League 1 continue to spend.3rd signing for south Leeds club

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:49
CI your knowledge of the RL minutiae is impressive, thanks.

I agree with much that you said but my question remains, why would you as a top flight club? I can see a case for some sharing with the second tier where you have clubs capable of challenging and for the likes of Halifax, Bulls, Leigh, Toulouse and even Toronto it could make sense. If you take away the foundation that is tier 2 then the tier 1 building (SL) is arguably weaker for it.

Still with my devils advocates hat on, what business case is there for sharing with the amateurs in tier 3?

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Rogero
I'm off to Manchester for the Grand Final on Saturday. I am undecided which shirt to wear - an old Crusaders one or a Scorpions one or even a very rare ironmen one! I never got round to buying this season's shirt - I'll rectify that in 2019.
Good to know that stalwarts of the forum are still there - onwards and upwards.

Am at Wembley instead for Raiders Seahawks. That one is going to test my usual policy of supporting the “home” team when the Jags aren’t playing. A bit like your grand final it does tend to be a fan fest with all 32 teams shirts on show though I for one get a bit hacked off about the number of Pat12 shirts, I mean come on talk about talking the easy option.!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 13:07 by jd1664..

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 18:31
Quote:
jd1664.
I agree with much that you said but my question remains, why would you as a top flight club? I can see a case for some sharing with the second tier where you have clubs capable of challenging and for the likes of Halifax, Bulls, Leigh, Toulouse and even Toronto it could make sense. If you take away the foundation that is tier 2 then the tier 1 building (SL) is arguably weaker for it.

Still with my devils advocates hat on, what business case is there for sharing with the amateurs in tier 3?

Ian Lenagan at Wigan,and a few others,want the 3rd tier to be amateur.

What incentive is there for the game to have more growth when people can find more reward,financially,in other,less demanding,sports?

If financial reward is not important,why do Lenagan et al.want more?

They haven't done a lot with the majority of the 'reward' from the television deal,as it stands

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 07:07
Quote:
cast-Iron13
Quote:
jd1664.

Ian Lenagan at Wigan,and a few others,want the 3rd tier to be amateur.

What incentive is there for the game to have more growth when people can find more reward,financially,in other,less demanding,sports?

If financial reward is not important,why do Lenagan et al.want more?

They haven't done a lot with the majority of the 'reward' from the television deal,as it stands

Sport makes for some faulty emotional calls but let me try it like this then? My employer calls me into the office today and says to me "Right jd, we've decided to give 5% of your salary each month to Nigel over there. He cannot do what you do professionally and such is the state of his office that we don't think he ever will be able to but it seems a jolly good thing to do because you both work at the same place. That's fair isn't it?

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 07:19
Sport makes for some faulty emotional calls but let me try it like this then? My employer calls me into the office today and says to me "Right jd, we've decided to give 5% of your salary each month to Nigel over there. He cannot do what you do professionally and such is the state of his office that we don't think he ever will be able to but it seems a jolly good thing to do because you both work at the same place. That's fair isn't it?

Brilliant jd - absolutely nailed it.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:15
Thanks rogero!

I was trying to see it from the SL clubs PoV but I suppose with our local hat on we should be grateful for every crumb.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 17:34
Quote:
jd1664.

But you're not comparing like for like.

Firstly,contracts were signed and terms agreed so that the League 1 clubs got their portion of money,as a direct result of the agreed tv deal.Whether or not one club,or set of players are better than the other.That is the agreement.

It isn't other players being given a lower salary.It is a limited number of club owners taking more money eve though it is their clubs that appear on the television.

Anyway,when the sport was part-time,in the 1970's,that was when Australia lost to GB.

Licensing,structures,whatever else they have tried has failed to expand the sport,or improve too many clubs or individuals.

Rich people from overseas may be the way ahead.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 18:06
I'm happy with my analogy from the SL point of view but everyone is of course free to draw their own conclusions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net