rugbyunion
Latest News:

cast-Iron13
Wigan Warriors X111 Side - Sat 2pm ko.
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 16:57
The Wigan side will be the Academy/Development team.

A Wigan X111 defeated fellow League 1 side London Skolars,recently.A Leeds side won at League 1 side Coventry.

Our first 2 league games are at Coventry and at home v London Skolars.

I believe the Wigan Academy side is full-time.The half back,Harry Smith,was a MoM when England Academy defeated the Australian schoolboys in the autumn tests,and he then signed a 3 yrs contract with Wigan.

I need to see a breathtaking performance from a player on the verdant surface of Parc Stebonheath.Despite one or two dual reg Super League players in the opposition ranks there wasn't one particular individual who took my breath away,in 2018.

I would like a West Wales Raiders player to be that person.

Apart from Harry Smith,a name who is believed to be on the verge of great things,even as a replacement for O'Loughlin,is a player named Smithies.

But it is all about judging with one's own eyes.

Other League 1 sides have lost to Super League Academy sides.Where Newcastle thunder defeated Wakefield Trinity,this would seem to be a game where Wakefield included some Under 16's and involved numerous interchanges.

I did hear a rumour of other warm-up games,but none have been announced.

For our side,with so many new faces,I thought a few games would be good to test our new spine and get some combinations going.

However,I know of a coach in The Championship who virtually avoids pre-season games despite his club also signing around a dozen new players each year.

It'll be nice to watch some rugby league after all the politics,and other depressing news,off the field,over the last few months.

UlsterFan
Re: Wigan Warriors X111 Side - Sat 2pm ko.
40:20 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 22:57
Any game time is good.

We have suffered in the past through lack of match practice.

BUT I am not travelling 116 mile round trip to watch a warm up match.

Good luck to those playing and watching.

Di

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 07:18
The club HAVE to build up support in the local area. They cannot rely on people travelling regularly from Cardiff and Newport to sustain things. So a good start and some positive results are needed to increase interest.

Hopefully attendance figures this season will reflect those who paid to watch, we have in the past had numbers based upon whoever was in the ground it appeared.

Beating Wigan's Academy XIII would be an excellent start!

I live in Cardiff and will bet down to Stebonheath when I can.

Gppd luck and let's hope 2019 is better in allaspects than 2018, at least we won't be bottom if Keighley do have a minus 12 point start.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 19:20
Still waiting to see the Wigan squad,but with their big derby against St Helens to kick-off

the Super league season tomorrow night,and then news of their points deduction,and appeal

against that decision,I may have to wait.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 17:56
It is a blessing that West Wales Raiders points deduction was applied retrospecively and put on last seasons table whilst Wigan and Keighley have been punished this season for past crimes?

The RFL are nothing is not inconsistent!!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 16:27
I think the RFL punishments are in line with the offences.

Financial impropriety and breach of salary cap.

Anyway,I was well impressed with our squad announcement last night - which included a player shown in The Locker Room - but NOT announced.That is still to come and it seems he is
what was called a hooker - but now it seems acting half is the correct description/expression.Or dummy half if Australian.

Good news that Harry Smith is NOT in the Wigan squad - but Smithies is named,as is the son

of Ellery Hanley.Wow!

Squad News For Both Sides - Our Vid Is Worth A Watch

It does seem social media use/improvement is what the RFL are judging clubs by.Even super League clubs are improving their content.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:05
Scoreline apart,lots of positives to take from a warm-up game.

Kim Williams Post Match Interview

daiclub
daiclub (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 20:30
What was the final score.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 09:34
34 0 I think Dai.

daiclub
daiclub (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 20:30
To us or them Stu.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 15:54
Wigan U19 won 34-0

daiclub
daiclub (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 10:52
A bit of a shock that ,we have always done well against these development sides before, never been niled. With the squad we have and the positivity in training etc i was expecting a bit more to be honest.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 13:23
My feelings exactly, our first XIII which has been put together over the last five months lost at home and was nilled by an under 19 side. We spent all last season and the year before making excuse after excuse for heavy defeats and not being able to cross the line, hopefully we will get better and learn from this.

Onwards please and upwards.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 14:35
Quote:
daiclub
A bit of a shock that ,we have always done well against these development sides before, never been niled. With the squad we have and the positivity in training etc i was expecting a bit more to be honest.

That has put a bit of a dampener on things.

I now feel as dull as the weather - after seeing more in 80 minutes than I had in 8 months.

Not only a brand new spine to the side,but several debutants and interchanges against a side containing players with full-time contracts of a club about to play In a World Club Challenge.Several players who have just played in the England Academy side which defeated Australia - and a side which has grown up together over several years - not just a few weeks.

It was exactly as stated on the tin - a warm up game.

I suspect that it will be a very different 17 who turn out for West Wales Raiders,on a very different surface,at Coventry,for the first League 1 game.

I am aware Thunder defeated Wakefield - Wakefield fielded several Under 16's.

I am aware Coventry Bears had aa better scoreline v Leeds - but Leeds played 5 players
who had just joined the Under 19's and described by local journalist as 'a very young' Academy side.

Wigan,of course,always seem to reach the Academy Final,each year.

We were held up over the line,on more than the odd occasion,and we had over 80% completion rate and lots of possession and territory.

As the Wigan system has the Academy and reserve structure(s) set up the same so the first team slots can be filled immediately - I think it was 5 Academy lads made Super League debuts last year - hold on I'll just check - I can't quite find it

But This May Give A Clue About Wigan

I thought we were more aesthetically pleasing as we made efforts to take the game to Wigan - who,like the first team since the days of Maguire,did like to slow the game by lying-on,and I presume they try to play the percentages.

They capitalised on errors while we played the more enterprising rugby league.

We never capitulated and our energy levels and fitness over the 80 mins looked good.

I think I am right to state that everyone who left the stadium were more than satisfied with what they had seen.

In fact,with all the newcomers,Kim Williams has done a remarkable job to get them moulded into such a fluent unit so quickly.Obviously things need to get better;which they will.But for the first run out it was more than pleasing.

I also take heart from this,as we don't seem to have another warm-up game

Press Report With Quotes

Club Website Report - Sheffield Eagles

The big scoreline at Sheffield may have been due to Swnton Lions player,formerly with Sheffield,Will Hope,sustaining a horrific injury only seconds into the game - but Sheffield for the past few seasons have recruited about a dozen players and are reluctant to play warm-up games.They expect to get it right about 5 games in.

I saw huge improvements.Spine better.Half backs better.Pack better.

Understanding and combinations will also get better.

We'll be even more expansive.Cleared any doubts about a defensive dominant philosophy with an Australian coach.Despite the scoreline we even looked better defensively - and that will improve.

Now I have been reminded of the display - Yes,I do feel better.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 15:00
Just Found This

Wigan Website Post Match Report

8 (EIGHT) Academy Players Played in First Team 51 Times In 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2019 15:02 by cast-Iron13.

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 15:28
You cannot keep a good man down - thanks CI13.

but Dai is absolutely right it is a disappointing result and Kim has been here since before the end of last season so we have had a whole close season to get fit, get plans together.

As you say "understanding and combinations will also get better"

jarrad
jarrad (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 23:04
To be fair we had 6-8 first team players who wasn’t involved we done very well and will beat a few teams this year.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 17:42
Quote:
Rogero
You cannot keep a good man down - thanks CI13.
but Dai is absolutely right it is a disappointing result and Kim has been here since before the end of last season so we have had a whole close season to get fit, get plans together.

As you say "understanding and combinations will also get better"

I can't find any League 1 side,with or without a large turn over in playing squad,defeating a full-time Super League Academy side,in recent warm-up games.

London Skolars,who now have a cash injection from Toronto and a dual reg with Wigan,also lost against a similar side,even though the bulk of their squad were together last year.
Match Report

I didn't expect a victory and was quite pleased with what I saw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net