rugbyunion
Latest News:

alexp1991
Severe Drop in Quality over 6 years
alexp1991 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 10:39
1 David James 2 Alex Jones 3 Jack Pring 4 Shae Lyon-Fraser 5 Dalton Grant 6 Sam Powell 7 Ollie Olds 8 Joe Burke 9 Connor Farrer 10 James Greenwood 11 Rhodri Lloyd 12 James Tutuila 13 Ashley Bateman

Replacements:

14 Samir Tahraoui 15 Chris Vitalini 17 Sam Wellings 16 Steve Parry

-

That’s a team from 2013 that convincingly beat All Golds. Much more experience, much more quality.

A lot have gone on to play super league some are now Welsh Premiership RU. Yes, fair enough, dual reg definitely shines through the team above but look at the result of said game 42-20.

We need to invest in the squad much more, us great that our guys want to play RL but we need Welsh players who can play RL at this level.

Rogero
Re: Severe Drop in Quality over 6 years
Rogero (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 17:11
Alex - you have hit the nail on the head. In 2013 we did win seven matches in all tournaments including a win over Rochdale.

Since 2013 we have only won seven matches in five and a half seasons and not a sniff for nearly two years. How can I persuaude people to travel from Cardiff to watch?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 22:13
I think the club will be setting their sights far higher than defeating the All Golds,as they did several years ago,as they build up the club with,hopefully,a conveyor belt of talent established and thriving.

It most certainly is not happening just at the moment,but there are one or two young Welsh lads who just require a little experience and guidance on the field.

I don't men lads who have played at international level - lads who can manage games and give advice throughout the 80 minutes.

The last 3 performances have been poor - even though we actually took the lead in 2 of those.

There should be 4 new signings/player announcements before the next game - away at Doncaster at the end of the month.

Playing in the match yesterday,and scoring for Doncaster,was Tom Halliday,on a months loan from Championship Dewsbury Rams.Menzie Yere,a player with 10 years Championship experience at Sheffield Eagles where he was part of the successful Grand Final winning side in 2 successive years - ( Yes it is a bloody disgrace that that club has not organised a Testimonial for him! ) Watson Boas,another player from PNG,who was at Featherstone Rovers but now on a months loan at Doncaster as Featherstone signed Dane Chisholm,who Bradford had signed when in Super League a few years ago.Levy Nzoungo,a prop on dual reg from Hull FC in Super League.

As badly as we have played,probably due to a lot of injuries and a continuation of changing player positions within the side,and a lack of pace,even if we played well the likelihood of a good result against these sides who call on that much experience is going to make it extremely difficult.

I think it is vital to support the club,and the young Welsh players,now,as it is possibly the last chance saloon for rugby league in this geographical outpost.

Personally,I haven't enjoyed recent experiences and the thought of the cost to Canada and the USA to watch similar doesn't really appeal to me.

But,I see young Welsh players,sustaining injuries due to a particular style of play which isn't making it easy for them,the results they suffer on a weekly basis,and yet they still turn up and perform with great heart and no little individual skill.

It just needs knitting together.

I still think it'll come.If they can stick it out,and keep on improving - 70 seems to be where the tally now ends;not the hundreds - then the club can prosper.

The questions should be asked - why don't the experienced Welsh players who have been in Super League,and/or The championship want to drop a level and give support to the club in Wales and raise the profile of the club and the development of keen,talented young Welsh players?

As they don't seem to want to,or they don't exist,( I'm too punch drunk to think ) then I shall just have to persevere until the player pathway starts churning the good lads out and hope the current young 'stars' don't get burned-out without reinforcements rushing to the rescue.

It's chicken and egg.The hardcore,on and off the field,are still in position and ain't going anywhere.

I was quite impressed with the sportsmanship of the Doncaster crowd.Applauded our players at the end,and more impressively,applauded our players who looked to have serious injuries - especially Liam who appeared to have sustained a hand injury but got to his feet after a lengthy stoppage apparently not as injured as feared.

They are doing it tough.Lapses of concentration are to be expected when a player short,the game is lost much earlier,and they sustain injuries during the game.

For the little bits of quality we see they deserve the support.Give it one brief try - then decide.

Next home game v Workington.Their new coacg,Chris Thorman,was rumoured to be the next head coach of New York.USA.

He is only in position at Workington until the end of the season and he is also coaching Huddesfield YMCA rugby union side,on a 12 months contract.

Whether this means New York are NOT going to be in League 1 next year - or it does mean New York WILL be in League 1 next year,with a different,I don't know.

But I will do by time Workington reach Stebonheath Park in June.(Sm14)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 22:21 by cast-Iron13.

jd1664.
jd1664. (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 16:07
CI I genuinely do admire your enthusiasm and ability to find the elusive “silver lining” but, if you will indulge an old cynic like me , I’ll give you my six penny worth.

We’ve learned the hard way that northern players are not in a hurry to move so South Wales on a loan / temporary basis. And who can blame them, we are miles/hours from their friends and family and (it’s semi pro remember) their jobs. If we were riding high with win bonuses and kudos maybe it would be different but it’s not.

I’m rather intrigued we should celebrate the “70 pointers “ on the rather dubious logic that they are “not 100 pointers”. Enough said on that one I think.

We’ve already discussed the problem with holding onto any genuine wunderkids we may develop but what I would say is we have been hearing almost since the outset of the Scorpions that the kids are the future. Now if you will indulge me we’ve almost had enough time for those early boys to mature, play, retire and write their memoirs but unless I blinked and missed that generation I am somewhat puzzled.

I’m happy you’re happy with the reaction of the Doncaster crowd but have you considered it’s out of pity not respect? Let’s see if we get the same if we ever get close to a W. I recall an early Scorpions radio commentary in York (or somewhere northern) and the local radio guys were genuinely positive even though they were “mostly RU lads” - in his words - and we still lost (narrowly).

I’m not having a go at you CI. Keep up the enthusiasm for us - someone has to. It’s just for me, the “jam tomorrow” message is wearing about as thin as Bobby Charlton’s hair!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 16:08 by jd1664..

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 20:35
Thanks for that JD,very patient of you,with humour and well-presented.

I know exactly where you are coming from.

Imagine my surprise,when I'm hacked off,still,and then I read the opinion of the opposition coach.

He uses the word 'JUST' while I am still adding to the list of the 'whole lot' of weaknesses in the performance.

''JUST lack a bit of finesse in breaking teams down!''

The View Of Richard Horne - Hull FC and Doncaster Coach

I must JUST be an old cynic and depressive.

We ain't that bad,I might just get myself to some more games.

It's almost as if we don't need the new signings yet to be announced.

I feel almost refreshed and recharged.Bring it on! All worries disappeared...

Rogero
Rogero (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 14:28
Great to see we can have healthy debate even when looking at things from different ends of the microscope!

I for one admire the fortitude and optimism shown by CI13 but am more of a jd1664 type these days. I fear that unless something happens very quickly and those in positions of strength are able to influence it, we could go for another complete season without a win.

41 consecutive defeats is approaching record territory....

I cannot see us getting anything at Doncaster in the league and then Workington Town who will not want to lose to us before we visit London Skolars.

We are one point ahead of the team who started on minus 12!

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 17:45
Quote:
Rogero
Great to see we can have healthy debate even when looking at things from different ends of the microscope!
I for one admire the fortitude and optimism shown by CI13 but am more of a jd1664 type these days. I fear that unless something happens very quickly and those in positions of strength are able to influence it, we could go for another complete season without a win.

41 consecutive defeats is approaching record territory....

I cannot see us getting anything at Doncaster in the league and then Workington Town who will not want to lose to us before we visit London Skolars.

We are one point ahead of the team who started on minus 12!
[b][/b]

We are due to strengthen the squad before our next game.Doncaster have to travel to Catalans for their Challenge Cup game in France and they do rely on the dual reg agreement with Hull FC which sometimes means they have to adapt to regular changes in their line-up

Workington only had 14 players available last week and despite the surprising win at Hunslet are also undergoing some change.

Whether or not they make additional signings before they come to Stebonheath Park may be indicative of what may be happening behind the scenes.

They Have Also Sustained Injuries

In this weeks RLE.Kim Williams states that 2 of our players,Harry Boots,and Nye Walker
are back training and should be available in the coming weeks.

With the injuries,the players leaving,having to make so many changes,I can only hope we go into the second half of the season with more confidence,fluidity,and get the elsusive win which will make everyone give this 'expansion' club the press and media coverage afforded to overseas clubs.

Next weekend Doncaster play away at London Skolars and Workington host Hunslet,before travelling to Leigh Centurions in the 1895 Cup,before finishing a hat-trick of difficult games when they arrive at Stebonheath Park.

mikebee
mikebee (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 18:36
Like others I have not posted for a long time, and obviously I desperately want the club to be a success. Over the last few weeks, for whatever reasons, the wheels seem to have come off again. Clearly the players are just not able to compete at this level. By saying that I do not mean any disrespect to anybody, and I am not doubting for one moment the courage of any player who puts on the WWR shirt.

However this situation has gone on far too long, and doesn't look like improving any time soon. How can we ask people to come along and support this team? Is this really the best way to promote the game in Wales? Unless there can be some massive improvement in performances soon,(I live in hope), it is very hard to see what is being gained by continuing along this path.

As i see it the only way to put a positive spin on WWR is to see the club and everybody connected with it as heroes battling to keep the sport of rugby league alive in Wales, and I do believe this to be true. But is this enough, and is this the best way to be going?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 22:13
Thanks for posting,mikebee,

As a follower of the team I am encouraged that individuals who do not attend the games,yet follow the results and have an abundance of enthusiasm for the sport,and the club,
and are still emotionally attached and want the club to succeed that they continue to post on here.

I wish for instant success just for you people.

I feel the club is in very good hands and I have not,and will not,find harder working individuals involved with a rugby league club.

It is difficult for a geographically challenged club to make headway - and to take the thread in a slightly different direction,there has not been a drop in quality in League 1 in the past 6 years,but,because of the dual reg situation,the quality has improved.

As has the finances at some clubs.

With the club on a losing run it may not be wise to encourage too many newcomers to Stebonheath Park,just yet.

However,the club has linked with a charity,based in Cardiff for homeless people,and as a result has garnered some television coverage,which shows our new Italian player signed by the club

It may be that the club has found some confidence with injured players returning and new blood coming into the side.

HERE IS THE PUBLICITY

Keep the faith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 22:25 by cast-Iron13.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net