Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
After a dozen games...
Discussion started by Rogero (IP Logged), 09 June, 2019 12:17
Rogero
Rogero
09 June, 2019 12:17
This doesn't make pleasant reading but is the position we find ourselves after 12 competitive matches.

Played 12
Lost 12
Points scored 94
Points against 628

Average score 52 - 8.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 17:33 by Rogero.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
09 June, 2019 13:15
How does that stack up with last year Rogero?

Rogero
Rogero
09 June, 2019 17:34
2018 was worse !

Played 12
Lost 12
Points scored 82
Points against 998

Average score 83 - 7

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
09 June, 2019 19:09
Thanks Roger. I’ll take this then as improvement - certainly on points conceded.

Rogero
Rogero
09 June, 2019 22:44
It's an improvement certainly BUT we were going to be "competitive in every game" !!
That is I believe some way off...

However onwards and upwards.

Can we avoid achieving 50 consecutive defeats?

Keep positive and the right attitude.

GLA

Rpgero

UlsterFan
40:20
10 June, 2019 06:45
Our next three games:

ROUND TWELVE
Saturday, June 15 London Skolars v West Wales Raiders 15:00

ROUND THIRTEEN
Saturday, June 22 West Wales Raiders v Hunslet 15:00

ROUND FOURTEEN
Sunday, June 30 Oldham v West Wales Raiders 15:00

In years gone by we have had some success against London but they are now a very good side and it looks like we have some more tough matches coming up, hopefully the promised new signings will improve things...

UlsterFan
11 June, 2019 11:36
It's gone awful quiet on here (again).......................

jd1664.
jd1664.
11 June, 2019 14:00
Speaking as someone who has “gone quiet” it’s because it’s really quite depressing and I think if you searched this board for “we used to win against London” or “tough matches coming up” then I suspect you would get quite a lot of hits in the last few years.

Has anything really changed? Oh yes our average points shipped is now in the 50’s not the 80’s. So.........

Rogero
Rogero
11 June, 2019 17:39
Quote:
jd1664.
Speaking as someone who has “gone quiet” it’s because it’s really quite depressing and I think if you searched this board for “we used to win against London” or “tough matches coming up” then I suspect you would get quite a lot of hits in the last few years.
Has anything really changed? Oh yes our average points shipped is now in the 50’s not the 80’s. So.........

You cannot argue with any of that - and it is just what I feared was the reason behind the lack of activity on the oldest and longest running RL board in the Principality.

jarrad
jarrad
11 June, 2019 19:44
At least its not 100 think of the positives

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
11 June, 2019 21:26
Erm,I don't want to cause any panic,but that referee who was on the field at the same

time West Wales Raiders did concede 100+ points in 2018,will be on the field in Wood

Green.North London,on Saturday.

When Brandon Robinson refereed his only game,thus far,in 2019,it was a home defeat

to Oldham Roughyeds,with the final score 8 - 72.

jarrad
jarrad
11 June, 2019 21:49
We will be ok this week. Boys looked well in training tonight a few injured lads back too

Rogero
Rogero
12 June, 2019 08:08
Quote:
jarrad
We will be ok this week. Boys looked well in training tonight a few injured lads back too

Nothing would be better than returning from London with a victory!

jarrad
jarrad
12 June, 2019 08:19
Couldnt agree more rog

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
14 June, 2019 15:34
Quote:
Rogero

Nothing would be better than returning from London with a victory!

The Skolars 19 has been announced.Neither Palumbo or Tuliatu are named.

However,Elliot Jennings is in the squad.

Rogero
Rogero
14 June, 2019 17:44
I cannot find any odds for the game on the internet yet - but will post up on here when I do.

Rogero
Rogero
14 June, 2019 17:48
Just found that SKYBET are giving WWR a 52 point lead in the handicap. So the bookies don't think we have any chance of a result.

It would be nice to prove them wrong.

WWR are 10/1 against winning in a straight match.

Rogero
Rogero
17 June, 2019 07:07
The only plus point was that the bookies at SKYBET got it wrong in the handicap stakes - WWR were only 45 points worse than London, so I did at least win a fiver!

In reality it was another hammering. After 13 games we have now conceded over 1000 points and not scored 100 yet - so clearly our attacking game is not cutting the mustard as we are averaging a total of 7 points per game.

We are approaching the second anniversary of our last win, what needs to be done to make us competitive? What has not worked and what needs to be improved upon?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
17 June, 2019 10:23
Quote:
Rogero
We are approaching the second anniversary of our last win, what needs to be done to make us competitive? What has not worked and what needs to be improved upon?

Operating with only one recognised half back - Tyler Hunt - isn't working,as he has had different half back partners in Ash Bateman and Steve Parry,and others,none of whom have been recognised half backs - and Tyler Hunt does far too much defensive work.

Lack pace in all areas.

The full back does lots of work so doesn't get the opportunity to link in with any attacking efforts.

Going back to having more of the old 'losing culture'players of last season,more than 'new' players for this campaign,has compounded the lack of confidence that has permeated the players.

Other clubs have made use of dual reg - this past weekend both Doncaster in this League,and Swinton,in The Championship,have won games mainly due to the influence of a Super League player on dual reg.Newcastle Thunder being another.

Hunslet,who lost to Doncaster,will be determined to get back on track when they visit Stebonheath Park on Saturday.

Opposition clubs will now be stepping up in their determination to get to the play-offs.

It was a bit depressing to see approx 10 Welsh lads in the Halifax side that played Sheffield Eagles in the 1895 Cup,the other week.

Also disappointing to see another Welsh lad travel up to Workington to play for them.

I don't know what direction the club is going in - or what the plan may be.

There is now talk of increasing the numbers of the Championship for next season which may mean even less central funding for those remaining in League 1.

Rogero
Rogero
17 June, 2019 12:34
Quote:
cast-Iron13
Quote:
Rogero

Operating with only one recognised half back - Tyler Hunt - isn't working,as he has had different half back partners in Ash Bateman and Steve Parry,and others,none of whom have been recognised half backs - and Tyler Hunt does far too much defensive work.

Lack pace in all areas.

The full back does lots of work so doesn't get the opportunity to link in with any attacking efforts.

Going back to having more of the old 'losing culture'players of last season,more than 'new' players for this campaign,has compounded the lack of confidence that has permeated the players.

Other clubs have made use of dual reg - this past weekend both Doncaster in this League,and Swinton,in The Championship,have won games mainly due to the influence of a Super League player on dual reg.Newcastle Thunder being another.

Hunslet,who lost to Doncaster,will be determined to get back on track when they visit Stebonheath Park on Saturday.

Opposition clubs will now be stepping up in their determination to get to the play-offs.

It was a bit depressing to see approx 10 Welsh lads in the Halifax side that played Sheffield Eagles in the 1895 Cup,the other week.

Also disappointing to see another Welsh lad travel up to Workington to play for them.

I don't know what direction the club is going in - or what the plan may be.

There is now talk of increasing the numbers of the Championship for next season which may mean even less central funding for those remaining in League 1.

A brutally honest synopsis of where the club stand midway through the 2019 season. A season we all hoped we herald a new era after the dreadfully disappointing 2018 campaign. Unfortunately we seem content to watch other teams embrace the rules whilst continuing on a seemingly meandering track to nowhere. Fans and more importantly potential supporters need more than is currently being served up.

WWR will soon be overtaken by a team who started on minus 12 points...

Good luck to all who pull on the shirts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2019 12:57 by Rogero.

Taketheone...
Taketheone...
17 June, 2019 12:46
Being "brutally honest" are we going to avoid defeat any time soon?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
18 June, 2019 15:41
Quote:
Taketheone...

I canNOT see it.

Just looking at other clubs - they all have assistants.

Despite the huge turnaround of players,this as well as last year,and all the putative head coaches,this year we have one head coach,Kim Williams.

He,like the owner and CEO has other responsibilities - yet he does NOT have an assistant.

Coventry Seem To Have 2 Assistants + 2 Others

London Skolars Have An Assistant

North wales Crusaders 2 Asssistants + Others

Keighley Cougars have just appointed former Great Britain head coach Phil Larder,the defence coach with the England union side which lifted the World Cup.

They have just appointed Rhys Lovegrove as head coach and he has an assistant,Paul Royston,who is also strength and conditioner.

It suggest teamwork and continuity.

With the future uncertain,some clubs liaise with supporters and keep them informed

Planning Ahead And Preparing For The Future - A Championship Club

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
18 June, 2019 20:20
Quote:
cast-Iron13
Quote:
Taketheone...

I canNOT see it.

Just looking at other clubs - they all have assistants.

Despite the huge turnaround of players,this as well as last year,and all the putative head coaches,this year we have one head coach,Kim Williams.

He,like the owner and CEO has other responsibilities - yet he does NOT have an assistant.

Coventry Seem To Have 2 Assistants + 2 Others

London Skolars Have An Assistant

North wales Crusaders 2 Asssistants + Others

Keighley Cougars have just appointed former Great Britain head coach Phil Larder,the defence coach with the England union side which lifted the World Cup.

They have just appointed Rhys Lovegrove as head coach and he has an assistant,Paul Royston,who is also strength and conditioner.

It suggest teamwork and continuity.

With the future uncertain,some clubs liaise with supporters and keep them informed

Planning Ahead And Preparing For The Future - A Championship Club

Well that’s A clear indication that Kimhas been working with one hand tied behind his back all season. You CANNOT work without an assistant to bounce your ideas off, give you vital feedback and when needed challenge or validate your choices.

Surely there is a Level 2/3 coach out there in S Wales who can be brought in to support - Vits ?

jarrad
jarrad
18 June, 2019 23:18
2 New signings in training tonight looked very sharp winger and a centre

Rogero
Rogero
19 June, 2019 08:44
Quote:
jarrad
2 New signings in training tonight looked very sharp winger and a centre

Who are they Jarrad?

jarrad
jarrad
19 June, 2019 12:49
Cant say yet but trying to sort visas and documentation out when that is sorted we will announce it.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
19 June, 2019 14:58
Quote:
Penybont Crusader
Surely there is a Level 2/3 coach out there in S Wales who can be brought in to support - Vits ?

He has been injured with a knee injury which may have curtailed his ability to drive - He

also coaches the Wales Students and they have The 4 Nations For The Remainder Of This Month

Rogero
Rogero
19 June, 2019 18:34
Dear All,

It would be great to have some new and exciting blood in the team ahead of Saturday's match. Hopefully they don't use WWR as a stopover and swan off to London!

Saturday will be tough as Hunslet will be wanting to get back on track after a home reverse last week.

Joking apart and taking the points about an assistant for Kim Williams on board, it does beg the question as to why he has not yet appointed somebody to the role. Kim has been here since before the end of last season - his appointment was announced on 28th June 2018 almost a year ago.

Surely the club can understand supporters frustrations at the current situation.

Once again good luck to all involved.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
19 June, 2019 20:49
Difficult for Kim as he would want to be able to trust that person - the logical route would have been an Aussie who he knew but then there is costs....

The difficulty of employing an assistant from here is that it would be aleap of faith for Kim to do so until he gets to know. Them - hence my suggestion of Vits.

Dan Clement is the ideal choice but I can’t see him being able to commit the time.

Rogero
Rogero
19 June, 2019 23:38
Good points Stu, but it is now twelve months since the appointment was announced - which means the job was being discussed well over a year ago; surely some thought would have been given to the coaching structure and support team required.

UlsterFan
20 June, 2019 09:57
Ever since we left Neath the fans have been told "we are building and it will come", I am afraid that patience wears thin even with the most loyal RL fans.

I like so many others want nothing but success for the club but cannot see the point in driving around 120 miles to see us lose with no prospect of this changing.

Hopefully some new blood will help but my fear is we will end 2019 still looking for that first win since July 2017 which cannot be good for the sport.

This message board reflects the thoughts of people who care, it is not populated by keyboard warriors or people who post without thought. Rogero, jd, PBC, CI13 and all the others will all be dancing in the street if we and when we start winning - but when will things start improving and what do the RFL think?

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
20 June, 2019 20:59
It’s an expensive mistake to make if you get the wrong person in and then have to release them if they don’t fit. I’m guessing the owner and the club felt that with a hefty outlay on Kim and the other Australian staff member it was best left for Kim to choose when he saw fit.

jarrad
jarrad
20 June, 2019 21:44
The 2 new signings are cleared to play Saturday fijian winger and centre from the army.
Keep an eye out on facebook and twitter for my weekly teamnews updaye with kim

jd1664.
jd1664.
22 June, 2019 09:45
I will remind you of my Raiders calendar posted some months back. Now is about the time the club (implicitly?) writes off the current season and starts a positive news flow for next year!

Part of me wonders why you introduce new blood now? The player contracts seem to be written on rice paper so if they are any good they will probably move on next season rather than commit to a team of losers and if they turn out to be no good then it’s a wasted half season of wages. I suppose it means we are looking for mediocre!! Ok the analysis is flawed as on that basis you would never recruit mid season but why oh why do we not search these players in January?

Rogero
Rogero
22 June, 2019 11:07
Quote:
jd1664.
I will remind you of my Raiders calendar posted some months back. Now is about the time the club (implicitly?) writes off the current season and starts a positive news flow for next year!
Part of me wonders why you introduce new blood now? The player contracts seem to be written on rice paper so if they are any good they will probably move on next season rather than commit to a team of losers and if they turn out to be no good then it’s a wasted half season of wages. I suppose it means we are looking for mediocre!! Ok the analysis is flawed as on that basis you would never recruit mid season but why oh why do we not search these players in January?

Excellent points made as always jd1664. But at the foot of the table we need to grab anything which may improve things.

The bookmakers have given WWR a 48 point start in this afternoon's match. SMB in another thread thinks we have a chance - nothing would be sweeter than getting a result against the Hawks.

lewj
lewj
25 June, 2019 13:52
Not been on here or to a game for a while but it seems the same things being posted that always were.

Players show promise and are poached due to the contracts being as watertight as the Titanic.

I can't find the post but I commented that any form of academy was pointless unless we could produce players quicker than other clubs could poach them.

I think the time has long since arrived where we have to cut our losses.

A team in the league being competitive is good for Wales RL.
A team getting murdered every week is not.

I think a change of plan is needed and maybe loading the South West Conference with as many South/West Welsh clubs as possible and look to dominate that.
Then, and only if the funding is there to do so, we might see a semi pro club grow organically from that.

The answer is basically down to money and throwing as much at it as is possible.
If we produce any players they are taken by bigger clubs unless equal and even more money is given to them also.

jarrad
jarrad
25 June, 2019 14:47
Theres a plan in place to stop that happening Lew

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
25 June, 2019 16:56
Quote:
lewj

I think a change of plan is needed and maybe loading the South West Conference with as many South/West Welsh clubs as possible and look to dominate that.
Then, and only if the funding is there to do so, we might see a semi pro club grow organically from that.

Good post.

I think the lack of money in the sport will result in a number of League 1 clubs returning to the community league(s)

It was a very poor London Skolars side who played on Saturday,yet they are high in the league with a negative points difference.

WWR have future fixtures where a points difference may be of huge benefit to sides wanting to make the top 6.

3 non-Welsh players suddenly left the club - all 3 headed to London.

There is a huge gulf between up and coming 19 yrs olds,or younger,playing in League 1,against players coming down from playing in Super League and Championship,or with years of experience at League 1 level.

Just playing one pre-season game is a bit difficult to fathom.

It would be nice to think that the club has a plan.If they do it may be beneficial to learn what it is.

There are some very difficult games coming up...

Rogero
Rogero
26 June, 2019 07:21
Quote:
cast-Iron13
Quote:
lewj

Good post.

I think the lack of money in the sport will result in a number of League 1 clubs returning to the community league(s)

It was a very poor London Skolars side who played on Saturday,yet they are high in the league with a negative points difference.

WWR have future fixtures where a points difference may be of huge benefit to sides wanting to make the top 6.

3 non-Welsh players suddenly left the club - all 3 headed to London.

There is a huge gulf between up and coming 19 yrs olds,or younger,playing in League 1,against players coming down from playing in Super League and Championship,or with years of experience at League 1 level.

Just playing one pre-season game is a bit difficult to fathom.

It would be nice to think that the club has a plan.If they do it may be beneficial to learn what it is.

There are some very difficult games coming up...

As always some good talking points and areas for thought and future comment. However I must take issue with the comment about London. They have played 12, won 7, drawn 1 and lost only 4 this season with a points difference of just -12. Ours is -529! They narrowly lost to Keighley last time out..... How on earth can they be described as poor?

As for the club's plans...... ??

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
27 June, 2019 17:40
Quote:
Rogero
As always some good talking points and areas for thought and future comment. However I must take issue with the comment about London. They have played 12, won 7, drawn 1 and lost only 4 this season with a points difference of just -12. Ours is -529! They narrowly lost to Keighley last time out..... How on earth can they be described as poor?

Sorry,I didn't make it clear.

I just meant a poor 80 minutes performance by London Skolars,at Keighley.

( It seems 46,165 people watched the game via the streaming service on the RL site )

The points difference being that they have conceded more than they have scored - yet they are so high in the ladder - 292 points for - 304 Against

Rogero
Rogero
27 June, 2019 21:10
Quote:
cast-Iron13
Quote:
Rogero

Sorry,I didn't make it clear.

I just meant a poor 80 minutes performance by London Skolars,at Keighley.

( It seems 46,165 people watched the game via the streaming service on the RL site )

The points difference being that they have conceded more than they have scored - yet they are so high in the ladder - 292 points for - 304 Against

My point is that London Skolars have scored only 12 less points than they have scored, whilst Raiders have scored 529 less points than we have scored! They are almost at parity but they have won more games than they have lost - so the defeats would appear to be heavier than the wins are sizeable.

Hopefully we will not end the season in a minus 1000 points situation...

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
28 June, 2019 12:16
Quote:
Rogero
My point is that London Skolars have scored only 12 less points than they have scored, whilst Raiders have scored 529 less points than we have scored! They are almost at parity but they have won more games than they have lost - so the defeats would appear to be heavier than the wins are sizeable.
Hopefully we will not end the season in a minus 1000 points situation...

The opponents on Sunday have scored large totals against on 3 occasions,and seem to be hitting their best form for the run-in.

The Views From Oldham

There are some free-scoring sides to face in the remaining away games.

Rogero
Rogero
28 June, 2019 14:54
It is all very depressing and the chances of us breaking our duck are slim. Fans are extremely loyal and avoid posting their deepest thoughts and concerns on here because they respect what is trying to get done.

However if we go for two complete seasons and more with nothing but defeats what good is it doing the sport?

Nobody wants to appear negative or question things as we all love the sport and want the team to do well.

Kim must have thought is was going to be easier than this?

lewj
lewj
02 July, 2019 13:59
Quote:
jarrad
Theres a plan in place to stop that happening Lew

Unless it is solid, water tight contracts with decent money then they won't be worth the paper they are written on I'm afraid.

The fact the three Aussies legged it to London Skolars shows that whatever is in place isn't keeping any players here if they want to go.
Not that I am basing much on those Aussie players as we were getting battered most weeks with them in the team so in many ways it was wasted money.

You could put a shirt on most of us on this messageboard and we would get soundly tuned, score very little and stand under the sticks for large parts of the game but it would cost a fraction of the price.

Going seasons without a win or the odd one here or there when teams underestimate us is doing no good at all. I honestly think fans would find it more enjoyable watching a competitive team in the South/South West Conference than a Conference level team trying to compete and failing miserably at League 1 Level.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
02 July, 2019 15:08
Those contracts don't exist at this level Lewj.

If we were a full time outfit you may have a case but these are part time contracts for one (playing) year otherwise players could hold the club to a 52 week contract and there is no way WWR - or any other League One club can afford that level of outgoing even on just one player.

lewj
lewj
02 July, 2019 21:38
Quote:
Penybont Crusader
Those contracts don't exist at this level Lewj.
If we were a full time outfit you may have a case but these are part time contracts for one (playing) year otherwise players could hold the club to a 52 week contract and there is no way WWR - or any other League One club can afford that level of outgoing even on just one player.

I understand that, I was just responding to Jarrad saying they are working to stop it happening. Personally I can't see how.

Location and everything working against the club but it will always be the case unless there is serious money going into it. I worry for the current set up as who is going to keep putting money in to see them finish bottom having registered no wins every year?

Rogero
Rogero
03 July, 2019 09:21
Lewis - you have hit the nail on the head; unfortunately we are in a difficult position as supporters, We want a team to be successful, and at the very least competitive but the situation is a long way from what 2019 was supposed to be; and it is disappointing.

Injuries, absences, other commitments etc. do not help but these are issues faced by all clubs although we do seem to have more than our fair share.

Results in the short, medium and long term are what matters. As has been stated elsewhere the game against Coventry is huge. A win would at least get the monkey off our backs and prove that we are not a million miles away from at least one other club.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
03 July, 2019 10:49
Quote:
Rogero
As has been stated elsewhere the game against Coventry is huge. A win would at least get the monkey off our backs and prove that we are not a million miles away from at least one other club.

Some excellent posts above.lewj hits the nail firmly on the head on more than one occasion.

Coventry have replaced half back Newman,who has gone to Newcastle,with a player from Hunslet,who,if I remember correctly,scored a number of points against WWR last year,

Sanderson To Bears

On the half back link,it was interesting to see how few tackles the Oldham half backs made

in their victory on Sunday.I am sure Tyler Hunt would have passed the total of both opposition half backs in the first 10 minutes.

Holmes-2 tackles. one tackle bust. 2 try assists. 15 carries=134m

Aaronson-2 tackles. one miss. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. 11 carries=125m

McComb-22 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. 14 carries=141m

Leeming-17 tackles.3 misses. one offload. 3 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 12 carries=145m

Maders-4 tackles. one tackle bust. 8 carries=54m

Brook-9 tackles.2 misses. 4 offloads. one tackle bust. one try assist. 7 carries=24m

Hewitt-6 tackles. one miss. one try assist. one carry=5m

Joy-25 tackles.2 misses. one tackle bust. 12 carries=108m

Wilkinson-11 tackles. one miss. 4 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 3 try assists. 9 carries=76m

Law-25 tackles. one miss. one offload. 15 carries=129m

Bridge-22 tackles.2 misses. 3 offloads. 4 tackle busts. 20 carries=161m

Langtree-16 tackles. 3 misses. 2 offloads. 6 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. one try assist. 11 carries=94m

Gregson-33 tackles. 4 misses. 5 tackle busts. 17 carries=125m

subs

Owen-12 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 8 carries=42m

Whittel-33 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 13 carries=90m

Greenwood-20 tackles. 5 misses. 2 tackle busts. 5 carries=58m

Oldham had lost a player prior to kick off as he was involved in a road collision and the head coach sent him home to rest.

Rogero
Rogero
04 July, 2019 08:52
It's nice to see a lengthy thread on the forum and great to see some long established members voicing their valued and well thought out views.

After the dreadful 2018 campaign and with the appointment of an Aussie coach who planned to establish a solid backbone of a team and make WWR competitive in 2019, expectations were higher than they had been for a while. In reality we are where we are and it would be good to learn from the club owners what their genuine thoughts are for not only the rest of this campaign but also moving forward over the coming few seasons.

It is easy to criticise and most people on this board do not want to appear negative and in my opinion show commendable restraint. Can you imagine football fans of a team in the third flight who had lost 45 consecutive matches behaving in a similar way?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
05 July, 2019 10:54
I think,most strongly,that the losing consecutive runs will go to 46 tomorrow,as Doncaster

have announced 3 loan signings from top end Championship clubs,( Featherstone,Bradford and

Sheffield ) together with 2 dual reg from Hull FC.

Rogero
Rogero
05 July, 2019 19:04
Just to confirm the defeat last weekend was the 46th consecutive one, if WWR lose tomorrow it will be number 47 on the bounce.

Rogero (Statto)...

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
06 July, 2019 16:39
Thats the 47th then.

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
06 July, 2019 16:57
With it being 0-36 in both halves,at least there seems a level of consistency.

The final score from London Skolars,with Coventry winning,should diminish any over confidence of a win in the next home game.

Rogero
Rogero
06 July, 2019 23:41
If Coventry are the next weakest team in the division, then we have a mountain to climb. the Bears winning at London Skolars shows how good they are...

jd1664.
jd1664.
07 July, 2019 08:30
After 2 and a bit years of “Raiders” we must be starting to think about the next re-brand.

Can I humbly suggest “South Wales Points Difference” for next time or else “South Wales Nil Points” if we want a more Euro theme to go with the massive Italian tie up that will probably get announced.

Rogero
Rogero
07 July, 2019 10:24
Quote:
jd1664.
After 2 and a bit years of “Raiders” we must be starting to think about the next re-brand.
Can I humbly suggest “South Wales Points Difference” for next time or else “South Wales Nil Points” if we want a more Euro theme to go with the massive Italian tie up that will probably get announced.

jd - humour is the best medicine.

Yesterday's defeat was even worse than the heavy one by Doncaster last season, we at least scored 18 points last year against the Dons, this time out we have been nilled at home. So in the cold light if day we are no better than we were last season? Results do not lie and as we look at the horrible statistic of 50 straight defeats - what is the solution?

cast-Iron13
cast-Iron13
07 July, 2019 10:52
I don't know what the solution is - but a club run by 2 guys with business and family commitments ain't gonna work.

Nor is having the game over within seconds of it starting when the opposition score.

South Wales Scorpions failed to finish ONE season.That was with lots of people involved behind the scenes.

Someone suggested the attendance yesterday was 65.I find that hard to believe as the hospitality usually has a fair few.

The team was again different from the previous line-up,with neither Fijian playing.

It may be best if they go back to playing in the conference.

The Students and the Under 19's seem to target playing for their national side rather than a semi-professional club side and it all seems very divisive to me.

Don't know if the preliminary coaching is the best,either,and having union trained players moving to part-time league playing has to be difficult;it seems to be for the elite players.

Struggling to see any future after the last 2 years,on and off the field.

Feel incredibly sorry for Kim Williams.Even looking beyond losing to sides with S/L and Championship players,WWR are a long way behind other expansion clubs in League 1,who survive without players experienced in higher leagues.

Penybont Crusader
Penybont Crusader
07 July, 2019 11:39
Players generally aren’t motivated by playing for the club. It’s whats in it for them. There is a historic lack of desire for playing RL compared to union in virtually all cases esp if money is easier to come by.

Players ‘choose’ rep squads over the club because it a) gives free stash b) puts them in a shop window of sorts and c) gives them a better chance of actually winning a game.

I struggle to see a way out of this without Toronto level money being injected in.

Rogero
Rogero
07 July, 2019 16:38
Just to confirm and clarify - West Wales Raiders took over the running of South Wales Ironmen in 2017, the season was finished as South Wales Ironmen and the name change took effect from the end of that season. The club with three different names has a continued history going back to 2010.

The first game at Stebonheath was a win (v Glos All Golds) and is the last game the club won.

jd1664.
jd1664.
07 July, 2019 19:31
To be clear as well, I think castiron was being loose with grammar.

As Scorpions, the club may have not finished a season - in the sense the move to WRFL control was announced already - but they did finish other seasons with, it has to be said, a better record than any since.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net