rugbyunion
Latest News:

CONGRATULATIONS

Druids, Dragons and 1st XV all promoted

An alternative approach?
Terry_The_Occie (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 17:26
It's fairly clear that the RFU don't want us and never really have, since the onset of the League system.

I can't help thinking that the Celtic/Rabo league would offer a much better future for the club in any case.

Ok - the league has its detractors and is seen as a poor relation to the Aviva Premiership (although European Cup results over the past 5 seasons would indicate otherwise).

We never have managed to make inroads into the Welsh exiled community in the South East, but again, European experience tells us that although this demographic won't turn out to watch London Welsh, they will (in large numbers) whenever the Scarlets, Ospreys, Blues etc are in town. Munster and Leinster would also bring huge gates.

It would aloso wipe off the 'English Qualified Quota' millstone at a stroke.

Is anyone actually looking into this? Aironi are getting the boot, so there's a convenient slot up for grabs .....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2012 17:30 by Terry_The_Occie.

Re: An alternative approach?
gar (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 22:10
yep wanted this for years. Now the rfu can't refuse, they have persuaded us to stay, and now refused access to the premiership.

DantheOccie (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:03
I agree Terry, the RFU is corrupt. Dean Richards moves into the Falcons Rob Andrew is an old friend of them and even if we managed to secure the Olympic Stadium (theres a thought) they would find a reason to keep us out.
Wasn't Andrew in charge when Newcastle finished bottom and ring fencing was introduced, sure he was coincidence???

And yes I would love to see Welsh playing in the celtic league.

Daveyb (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:16
The Falcons have never previously finished bottom, DantheOccie. Please get your facts right before spouting garbage!

Oxonian (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:24
With no fewer wins and 2 more draws than Wasps we were a bit unlucky to come bottom this time!

Crug Mawr (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:25
The FIR have two franchises - so even though Aironi are no more the Federation still have a Pro 12 team and HC place even though none exists yet.

Viadana applied for the Aironi franchise but this has been rejected adding to the apeculation a Rome based team will get the second franchise.

Back to the LW realities - and while I have always liked the thought of LW in the Welsh/Celtic structure money will be an issue, as indeed would transitional arrangements as while non English qualified players are an issue for the RFU, so non Welsh qualified players are an issue for the WRU.

DantheOccie (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:28
Sorry a technicality, there was the same rubbish about ring fencing when Newcastle were looking to be in a relegation position in 2002/3 (bottom end not bottom), luckily though they missed it by 3 points so normal service was resumed . You have to say DaveyB it stinks. If it were Worcester or Leeds or any other club had been at the bottom in previous years would the decision have been the same. I don't think so. I may be wrong and have nothing personal against Newcastle but this really does leave a bad smell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2012 23:31 by DantheOccie.

davidcaldwell (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 12:24
I know the 'let's make LW the Sixth/fifth/fourth(?!?!) Region' idea has been around for while but I'm suprised that it hasn't had more coverage of late.

You would have thought the opportunity for the WRU to bring in some more cash would have been very attractive right about now!!

Groucho (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 12:57
Sorry but LW knew the criteria before the season started - so why moan now?

It may not be morally right but the criteria are, for good & most definitely worse, set in stone.

The legal challenge must centre around Sale, Wasps etc being allowed use of football grounds. ODP is not & never will be a PL ground so LW must seek alternatives then mount an expensive (but probably fruitless) lawsuit.

david evans (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 13:40
A very hypophetical question, I know, but if London Welsh were to join the Celtic set up, would they still need to find a new ground, or would ODP be acceptable?

FamilyGuy (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 22:01
Mr Groucho
I know it's something of a red herring now, and I apologise to any regular readers for banging on about it once again, but.
This is the whole nub of the story: why is ODP not (nor never will be) a Premiership ground?
The capacity is small but the only financial sufferers from that will be LW. Not all away fans who wish to see the game will be able to get a ticket but, hey, what do you think happens when Man Utd are drawn away at, say, Torquay in the FA Cup? Er, fewer away fans get tickets...
There is limited shelter from the elements. Well we are rugby fans. Who live, play & spectate in England. Championship fans cope.
TV facilities are rudimentary though adequate, as I dare say many people would say are the toilets and the bar facilities. But it all seems to work now (with the apparently large caveat of those capacity constraints again, I know).
Atmosphere's good though, welcome is warm & there's just something about the place that strikes a chord. Team's pretty good too.
All in all I think ODP would prove a magnet for the discerning rugby follower, hard to access, yes, but worth the effort. It might even remind a few people of why they got involved in the game in the first place.

OK OK OK last dinosaur rant, I promise. I know my place.

Oh yes, & we WOULD need to sort out the PA system.

johntywyn (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 23:17
Playing in the 'Celtic League ' is a brilliant alternative.
However, I am sure that the R F U and Premier League are very worried as to what actions may be taken by Bleddyn Phillips, being as he is a solicitor. I just wonder if an injunction could be taken out which prevents any games being played next season until this matter is resolved. L.W. fully deserve promotion, and it is quite clear to me that the timing of the anouncement that they could not, was broadcast with the intent of totally demoralising the players. This plan failed miserably, and I hope that emphasis of this is extended to next Wednesday.

I have said before Regional Rugby in Wales is at a vey low ebb, and it needs the influx of new angles; and L.W. could and should provide an interesting alternative to Aironi. With teams based in Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy it should not present too great a problem regards travel. But if L.W. were to find a base in Wales, I am sure that grounds such as Bridgend, Pontypridd or Pontypool would provide considerable support, particularly if L.W. were to supplement their team with local players. To be honest I am disillusioned with the set up of our existing regional sides, and were L.W. to emerge in this league, I would certainly take out a membership. Good luck guys.

Terry_The_Occie (IP Logged)
25 May, 2012 08:06
I always thought that London Welsh and Cornish Pirates would be excellent additions to a true Celtic league rather than some random Italians.

johntywyn (IP Logged)
25 May, 2012 09:33
Terry, a BRILLIANT comment!!!! And look at the savings for all the regions in travel expenses. Lets face it, both London and Penzance are closer to Wales than Italy, and Scotland, and more cost effective even than flying to Ireland.

dottigirl (IP Logged)
25 May, 2012 23:18
What about Jersey too? There's enough Welsh boys there already...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net