LEAGUE:

1st XV - Watford (A) Sat 9th Sept

Druids - L Scottish (A) Sat 16th Sept

Occies - Hackney 4s (A) Sat 16th Sept

LWWRFC - Portsmouth (H) 10th Sept

Matter of opinion I know BUT!
new paddytaf (IP Logged)
09 February, 2017 15:58
Rob Howley's safety first tactics are wrong. Dan Bigger is without doubt a really good but safe outside half, but, in Sam Davies we have someone who is difficult to read and will surprise the opposition with his guile and speed of thought. WALES will be under pressure from a fired-up England who MASSIVELY underperformed against FRANCE. Although England are favourites based on their recent form together with their HUGE strength in depth, hopefully with a bit of luck WALES can surprise the might of England. WALES will need to start well and fight for every scrap of possession. My head says England, my heart says WALES PADDYTAF.

Re: Matter of opinion I know BUT!
taff in sevenoaks (IP Logged)
09 February, 2017 16:38
Derek,

I agree with Rob Howley's chain of thought. Not only has Dan Biggar the major match experience but also there is a two week gap before we go to Scotland. If we can beat England we can go to =#9900FF]Scotland , make a few changes & come back to Cardiff for the Triple Crown game v Ireland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 16:46 by taff in sevenoaks.

09 February, 2017 18:19
Before anyone asks a distant acquaintance from BBC Radio Wales has told me that the roof will be open at the request of eddie jones

Dai Port Talbot (IP Logged)
09 February, 2017 23:04
Biggar is more than a safe fly half, I'd say. He is excellent in defence, has a superb kick and chase, serves as a kicker when needed and is absolutely fearless. Davies isn't better, just different and I'd expect a substitution if and when we need it.

Similar to the difference between Liam Williams and Halfpenny. Halfpenny has a telepathic ability to be in exactly the right place as but Williams brings a tempo to the whole game. The real dilemma I think is where to play those two. On balance, I think Halfpenny to wing from where he'll go looking for work, whereas Williams tends to be a bit static and Williams to FB where he'll attack from deep.

Incidentally, it was good to see North venturing in to midfield last week rather than waiting for the ball to come to him.

new paddytaf (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 00:30
As I said it's a matter of opinion. I would start with Sam Davies with Liam Williams at FB and Leigh Halfpenny on the wing. It of course won't happen, it's just my opinion. Also Thomas Young should have been in the squad/starting 23. We have to get this new young blood involved, but, as I keep saying it's a matter of opinion, I have said Rob Howley is wrong, but that doesen't for one moment mean that I'm right. And ALL that Dai Port Talbot has said about Dan Bigger is absolutely right, I'm just looking for another line of attack. C'MON WALES PADDYTAF.

peterh64 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 11:15
Quote:
new paddytaf
As I said it's a matter of opinion. I would start with Sam Davies with Liam Williams at FB and Leigh Halfpenny on the wing. It of course won't happen, it's just my opinion. Also Thomas Young should have been in the squad/starting 23. We have to get this new young blood involved, but, as I keep saying it's a matter of opinion, I have said Rob Howley is wrong, but that doesen't for one moment mean that I'm right. And ALL that Dai Port Talbot has said about Dan Bigger is absolutely right, I'm just looking for another line of attack. C'MON WALES PADDYTAF.

If Thomas Young is in the squad , who do you drop?

new paddytaf (IP Logged)
10 February, 2017 14:10
I fully understand Peter what you're saying, we are very blessed in the back-row with top quality players and of course with Ross Moriarty at 6/8 depending on who is at number 8 the back-row is very well covered. On a more serious note, I see that safety first Rob Howley is/has drafted in Alex Cuthbert, his defensive ability is NIl, he just might as well be wearing an England shirt, If George North is fit we're still very much going to struggle to contain England, with Alex Cuthbert on the wing we have absolutey no chance at ALL. I'm aware that my comments are very negative, but, in all honesty it is the facts regarding Cuthbert. PADDYTAF.

Mark W-J (IP Logged)
11 February, 2017 16:20
Bad news, Derek. North out, Cuthbert in. I don't watch enough Pro12 to know who the form players in Wales are at the moment, but surely picking the players who reached a World Cup semi-final and won Grand Slams just because they were class in the past isn't the best way to win big games in the here and now.

I hope I'm back here to eat my words in three hours' time, but I suspect I won't be facing my friends in the pub for a few weeks after the game...

RPB (IP Logged)
11 February, 2017 19:09
Derek proved 100% correct about Cuthbert !! Thankfully as an English man but still LW at heart ... fantastic game of rugby

Y Drenewydd (IP Logged)
12 February, 2017 10:47
What's your favourite slogan PT ....
"Give them no ball.....
It should be engraved on the dressing room door .

(Sm164)

12 February, 2017 12:22
Mark W-J you must be telepathic. As YD said one of NPT's favourite slogans should be engraved to the Welsh dressing eoom door at every game

new paddytaf (IP Logged)
12 February, 2017 21:43
I so wanted to be wrong but, Cuthbert was a complete disaster. Elliot Daly greece lightning winger, up against a complete donkey in Cuthbert, (no contest) my lovely Granddaughter Abigail who is only 8, would have caused Elliot Daly far more problems. Of course he still would have scored, but, at least there would have been more effort in defence. Apart from that glaring mismatch Cuthbert's whole game was utterly woeful, The RP marked him 4.5 out of ten the worst player on the field. I wouldn't have given him 0 out of ten. Howley has to be daring in his selection, the Six Nations is important, but, the World cup in two years time is what we should be targeting. God help us if George North is still not fit for the SCOTLAND game. PADDYTAF.

Ian H (IP Logged)
13 February, 2017 11:47
Feel desperately sorry for Cuthbert. He's been a class player in the past but his form has deserted him completely. He's not scoring and is so often caught out of position. Can't help feeling the Blues should have announced an injury for him in the Autumn and given him a few games for the Cardiff club, until he crosses the line a few times, to build up his confidence

new paddytaf (IP Logged)
13 February, 2017 14:25
Although my posting regarding Alex Cuthbert is ALL about criticism, I also 100% agree with you Ian about his past form which as we all know now is sadly eluding him. Good/fair point about him stepping down a notch to regain his form. A real pity about Saturday because I'm sure I'm not the only "Expert coach" (Sm16) who am I kidding that can pick a team to WIN every game that WALES plays. As my post says (Matter of opinion I know BUT!) I'm not necessarily right, nor is Rob Howley necessarily wrong, but, a week this Saturday if George North is unfit we have to exclude Alex Cuthbert, and even if he is fit please DON'T put Alex Cuthbert on the bench. PADDYTAF.

Ian H (IP Logged)
13 February, 2017 15:53
I think Saturday came down to use of substitutes. Eddie Jones used subs to replace two ineffectual players in Hartley and Clifford, Rob Howley took off probably our three best players - Owen, Webb and Moriarty ( although I'm not party to whether there were any injuries involved, of course)

new paddytaf (IP Logged)
13 February, 2017 16:47
Have to agree with you about all of your comments and player selection/exchange re subs. PADDYTAF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Welsh Poll

New poll coming soon!

See results > Submit >>