rugbyunion
Latest News:

Blues v Reds
Blues Brothers (IP Logged)
19 December, 2016 15:18
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Blues v Reds
corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
21 December, 2016 09:45
Match Officials
Bedford Blues vs Jersey Reds
Referee: Andrew Jackson
Assistant referees: Adam Leal Ian Bibey
Assessor: Sam Collins
Mr Jackson managed the reverse fixture at St Peter which wasn't the best game either side have played in! There was a deserved yellow card for a player from each side after an "all-in handbags" event and although there were various complaints about "shocking decisions against both sides" I think clubs should focus on their own performance and discipline rather than look to blame match officials.
Mr Jackson also managed the Jersey match against Blues last season which was a seven try thriller which Blues were again unlucky to lose despite sickening injuries to LeBooj & Blanchet in the first minute of the game.
According to Statbunker Mr Jackson has managed 6 Championship matches this season and averages 1 yellow card per game evenly distributed between home and away teams. Sorry I can't make it up to GR for the match this weekend but I will be following the commentary on the radio. I will miss the beer in the Cricks before the match and the quality banter on the terraces but although Boxing Day is a great day out for home fans it doesn't work for most away supporters who would like to travel from Jersey - sadly it will be the only away game I miss this season including the B&I games. I hope it's a full on close match with no injuries and the players show the right level of discipline to allow the officials to keep everyone on the pitch for the full 80. All the best CC

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
23 December, 2016 11:46
Jersey Reds squad v Bedford Blues (A) - Greene King IPA Championship, Round 12, Boxing Day Monday December 26th, Goldington Road; k-o 3pm

Backs (15-9)

Ross Adair
George Watkins
Kuki Ma'afu
Heath Stevens
Jordan Davies
Sam Katz
Sami Fisilau

Forwards (1-8)

Marc Thomas
Joe Buckle
Mark Tampin
Nick Campbell
Dave McKern
Gary Graham
James Freeman (capt)
Nick Haining

Replacements

Jack Macfarlane, Sean McCarthy, Simon Kerrod, Uili Kolo'ofa'i, Max Argyle; Kieran Hardy, Joel Dudley.

BLUES
Starting Line-Up:
15. Matt Gallagher
14. George Perkins
13. Tom Farrell
12. Michael LeBourgeois (c)
11. Dean Adamson
10. Myles Dorrian
9. Jordan Burns
1. Hayden Thompson-Stringer
2. Jacob Fields
3. Ben Cooper
4. Mike Howard
5. Will Carrick-Smith
6. Justin Blanchet
7. Josh Buggea
8. Paul Tupai
Replacements:
16. Dan George
17. Billy Walker
18. Jack Culverhouse
19. Ed Taylor
20. Ben Adams
21. Tom James
22. Jake Sharp

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2016 11:48 by corporalcarrot.

iron blue (IP Logged)
24 December, 2016 15:09
Thanks mate, is Alex Rae still injured?

tomthepom (IP Logged)
24 December, 2016 20:12
Alex retired in May & became Asst Coach. He came out of retirement in Oct for a couple of games due to an injury crisis in the pack, and performed very well, but has since hung 'em up again… (and our injury crisis has switched to the backs!)

the hooded man (IP Logged)
25 December, 2016 16:47
A Merry Christmas to all Blues supporters and other rugby fans who follow this forum.
Despite Jersey experiencing injury problems, they will provide a formidable test for a Blues squad that has yet to find any rhythm this season. A top four finish is tantallizingly close for all those from third downwards so there is all to play for for both teams tomorrow.
Looking forward to a robust contest from both teams, each of which could improve their position in the league.

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
26 December, 2016 17:19
Blood y marvellous.

Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
26 December, 2016 17:27
Yes a good win, backs on form and the forwards did the job. Think Toops has made a big difference since his return. Well done and enjoy the evening!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/12/2016 17:49 by Jonathan Wilcox.

compo simonite (IP Logged)
26 December, 2016 18:18
Well I didn’t see that coming.....great guts from our team at end, we have become used to seeing other teams scoring points in the dying minutes to beat us.........now it was our turn to the deed........

I thought that at the end Jersey were to busy trying to stop us gaining bonus points that they ending up losing the game......

Usual problem with Jersey ‘water boys’ standing up in front of spectators ..... (mostly their spectators) ..........nothing changes.......

Enjoy the celebrations Blues Fans........remember its a long way home to Jersey.........?

Gerry Welsh (IP Logged)
26 December, 2016 21:29
What a belated Xmas present and a great way to finish the year at home ! Typical Blues performance - some great running rugby, coupled with some awful defensive efforts - but a team showing real guts and pride towards the end to snatch victory in front of an ecstatic crowd of 4261 ! Whatever Mike said at half time seemed to do the trick and we played some vintage Blues rugby and a determination to keep chasing the win. WELL DONE YOU BLUES!!!

Gerry Welsh (IP Logged)
27 December, 2016 09:00
Correction - the attendance was given as 4621 - not 4261. Still buzzing from that last gasp try!

the hooded man (IP Logged)
27 December, 2016 15:31
Giving presents on Boxing Day dates back to the 17th century - giving gratuities to the trades people that have given service in the previous twelve months.
Move on four centuries and replace trades people with supporters, who received a terrific christmas box in 2016.
Both Jersey and Bedford provided an afternoon of great rugby that was a credit to the Championship.
After the Nottingham match I took Mr Rayer to task over the lack of 80 minute performances during the season. Yesterday Blues gave an 80 minute performance in spades. 10 more games of that callibre and Blues will find themselves in the playoffs.
Blues mixed up their attacks running at and round, chipping over, kicking through and using the kick chase which kept Jersey's defence guessing. It provided a great spectacle even for the uninitiated like Mrs H-M who thoroughly enjoyed the game. The H-M grandchild (aged 21/2) was heard to shout c'mon Bedford.
Well done Blues. Two converts at least and putting faith back into wobbling supporters.

iron blue (IP Logged)
27 December, 2016 20:38
Great win, should give the players a massive confidence boost. Re the Jersey water boys (coaches) disappointing to hear Alex Rae abusing his own fans. These people paid a lot of money to travel over the Christmas period to support their team, they deserved a lot better than that, he should be ashamed of himself.

iron blue (IP Logged)
28 December, 2016 18:18
Highlights from boxing day

[vimeo.com]

tomthepom (IP Logged)
28 December, 2016 19:35
Strong allegation about "abuse" by Alex Rae at his old club. My wife was one of the Jersey officials in the front row of the stand - she is adamant no bad language was used, as implied by Iron Blue; there was banter with those suggesting that those members of Reds staff who were by the touchline - within the designated technical area - should sit down. The gist of the response by 'Razor' involved the fact that nothing was provided there on which they could sit!

iron blue (IP Logged)
28 December, 2016 19:41
Well the Jersey fans sat next to us were not impressed. You say it was banter I thought it was more than that. And it wasn't aimed at his old club it was aimed at the Jersey fans who had politely asked him to sit down.

megagrumpyblue (IP Logged)
28 December, 2016 22:07
Well one swallow does not make spring, let's see if the boys can keep up that level of passion and commitment for the next two matches - both of which will be tough. Irish away followed by Yorkshire at home.

28 December, 2016 22:43
Megagrumpyblue, agree both tough games. If the DR's are available this weekend then I think it would be a good idea to start with the same team. I'd like to see some consistency in selection.

29 December, 2016 15:38
With regard to the comment about Alex Rae, I did not hear any abuse from him towards his or our fans and I was sitting close enough to hear......however there was something to sit on, those tackle shield thingies (I don’t know the correct name)......Alex did find a place to sit in the end.....

However.......the other Jersey ‘water boy’ with him did continue to stand up in front of his own fans for the whole game and requests to sit down by both sets of fans were totally disregarded.......

Now I don’t want cause a problem between the two clubs but I know that there have been complaints to the Blues Safety Officer on this subject in the past as some visiting teams come with numerous ‘water boys’........or should I call them ‘assistant coach’s’........

29 December, 2016 18:18
Compo, now there's an idea.....get ours off the balcony and on to pitch side. Like that idea.

29 December, 2016 20:27
JW let me turn your argument around....... let’s put all ‘assistant coach’s’ ....sorry ‘water boys’ on the balcony, so that paying punter can see the rugby.

29 December, 2016 20:44
Good to have you back in the pond Compo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net