rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fickle or what
Yaffle (IP Logged)
29 December, 2016 10:59
The Blues win a thoroughly entertaining game of rugby in front of a bumper Boxing Day crowd and there is something akin to a deafening silence on this site. Wait until the final whistle has blown after the next couple of games (against much fancied London Irish and Leeds) and all the armchair pundits will be out again, writing the club and its management off.
This has not been one of our best seasons, that is for sure, but we shall survive it both in terms of financial stability and staying in the Championship. Financial prudence may not provide a squad with promotion-chasing qualities but it has ensured that we have a reasonably secure club with some sort of future upon which to build.
Who knows what the Championship will look like next season but, at the very least, Bedford will be there to make the decision on what part it wants to play in the next 'iteration' of the second tier of English rugby.
Happy 2017 and may your glass be always half full.

Re: Fickle or what
Blue33Years (IP Logged)
29 December, 2016 11:20
With you 100% on that

megagrumpyblue (IP Logged)
29 December, 2016 12:35
You may have a point Yaffle, but it is always easier to criticise than compliment. It was a good game, full of passion and commitment, however, it was but one game, it will require that level of passion and commitment week in week out from now til the end of the season to retain our championship status.

The RFU may choose to remove London Welsh and thus remove this threat for another season, but some level of consistency is required if we are to remove this threat for ourselves.

Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
29 December, 2016 18:23
Megagrumpyblue, hopefully some consistent team selection for the remainder of the season and we may start to see a climb up the table.

the hooded man (IP Logged)
30 December, 2016 13:05
Yaffle, I think there is only one voice that consistently calls for heads to roll (well one head).
We had a great season last year and the expectation was that we would build on that success in the current season. It hasn't happened. Having said that, we are only five points off third place so we are there or thereabouts. Irish and Carnegie are the obvious frontrunners and the rest are pretty much on a par, thus the tightness in the table.
Blues performances have been inconsistent this season, not only between games but within them so it is a joy to see them put in an 80 minute performance as they did against Jersey and earlier in the season against Irish, even though we lost.
Despite the pressure on finances, this is a good squad capable of making the final four but it has to maintain its consistency and its discipline. Too many penalties have lost us good attacking positions or allowed opponents to keep the scoreboard ticking over.
I don't agree with JW on many of his comments, but continually rotating the squad may be a significant factor in inconsisent performances. I understand the reasons for it including player welfare and game time but it does preclude team fellows 'knowing' what a player might do in order to be in a position to support - only game time together can ensure that. If we were a full time outfit rotation would not be such an issue but three training sessions a week is insufficient time together.
On another string, I noted how pleasing it was that we varied our attack game against Jersey. Our angles of running are improving, chips are better timed and the kick chase was effective. If we can build on that performance, particularly this weekend, we do have the players to climb the Division.
Oh, I prefer a full glass to a glass half full - more to look forward to.

30 December, 2016 14:59
M.R.A.D has been on the sauce again, 6 changes. Lost for words.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
30 December, 2016 15:07
Quote:
Jonathan Wilcox
M.R.A.D has been on the sauce again, 6 changes. Lost for words.

Do you always type before thinking?

3 of the 6 players are unavailable - 2 injured and were visible so on Monday and the other suspended.

Out of the other 3 it looks like
Thompson-stringer is unavailable from Saracens
Sharp has been preferred for perhaps his more attacking flair and you often say he must start every game
George instead of Fields, gives us a bit extra in the scrum and is a more experienced player.

30 December, 2016 17:37
TryBlues, thanks for the clarification. Glad you know what's going on with the players. You should contribute more often.

All the best for 2017.

30 December, 2016 20:00
TryBlues : suspended, please explain

Blue33Years (IP Logged)
30 December, 2016 20:29
JW. Maybe you should contribute less often.

charleyboy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2016 20:30
Quote:
Jonathan Wilcox
TryBlues : suspended, please explain
From the match preview on the Blues website. The Blues make six changes to the team that fought back to beat Jersey Reds after Paul Tupai and Jordan Burns were both ruled out with injury while the yellow card picked up by Josh Buggea means that he also misses the fixture.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
30 December, 2016 20:46
I think after 3 yellow cards you get an automatic week suspension. I can't remember if it matters whether it is a technical or foul play yellow or not.

30 December, 2016 21:38
Quote:
Blue33Years
JW. Maybe you should contribute less often.

Lol, aren't you funny. Obviously pro R. Enjoy the game.

Thanks TryBlues.

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
31 December, 2016 09:45
Pro Rayer here too.

iron blue (IP Logged)
31 December, 2016 14:37
Me too, best man for the job in my opinion.

31 December, 2016 18:51
Never in doubt Iron Blue.

It's interesting that the team at the bottom of the table have lost by the fewest points against London Irish, followed by Bedford. Bit of an odd season.

29-21 today in extra time would have been a reasonable result, so what happened? We seem to be leaking points too easily. Hopefully 2017 will bring us consistency and results and a new DoR.

the hooded man (IP Logged)
01 January, 2017 10:06
Maybe a seven day turn round for a full time professional unit and a five day turn round for a part time semi professional unit might be part of the cause.
Here's to 2017 a progress towards the play offs.

01 January, 2017 12:07
Or we tried for a losing BP.

Ginger Blueboy (IP Logged)
01 January, 2017 12:32
We put in spirited performance with some very good defence at times - stopped a couple of their mauls close to the line and our rush defence nullified the threat posed by their backs.

Ultimately, lost the game due to a strong 15 minute period of Irish dominance either side of half time where they scored two converted tries through their most dangerous weapon, the maul. Or alternatively, conceding in the last play of each half.

As for those complaining why didn't we go for the 2 bps, I can tell you from my position, that was precisely what we were doing at the end with effectively one play to go when we tried to play out of our 22. Didn't work on this occasion and unfortunately Irish rumbled over from close range to give a flattering look to the scoreline for them, imo.

Who was MOM? Thought Le Bourgeois was outstanding yesterday, assisted with two of the tries and scored the third, plus great defence/consistently making the gainline.

compo simonite (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 09:44
I return from Celebrating Hogmanay..........many thanks to you Ginger Blue boy for filling in the details of the Blues game against Yorkshire, a game if we were truthful we expected little so to cross the line three times was some consultation even if it did not result in bonus point......

Not certain if this post makes me ‘fickle or what’......,....only time will tell....

Sorry forgot Happy New Year!

03 January, 2017 11:36
Irish you mean.

03 January, 2017 13:10
Ah! Garlic thank you for the correction.........obviously to much Hogmanay

iron blue (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 20:08
[vimeo.com] There you go Compo 3 great tries from Irish v Blues, especially the third one brilliant. Happy New Year.

03 January, 2017 20:52
Iron Blue....running rugby in the style of a certain Mr R himself.......

Is it me or do Bedford put on better performances against teams it perceives are better than themselves and drops it’s standard at lesser opposition

Riverman (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:16
We are losing to the rolling maul! Better teams do it better. We were better than Irish with ball in hand but we conceded rolling mauls and missed penalties

Personally I would watch BRFC every week which i invariably do than watch any other team in this division. Boring forward play in soulless football stadiums is not my cup of tea LOL

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net