rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Re: 2017-18 Squad Updates
ComeRainOrShine (IP Logged)
02 July, 2017 18:41
First name of the team sheet . . . . . Made easier by the fact we still only have 2 x Centre's in the squad and only one up to Championship quality. I know we have Dodge who never let's us down and has a been a top servant, but personally thought he may have gone the same route as the likes of Sharp and Howard. We're still at least 6 players short and another week gone. If we're relying on the DR's who we see once in a blue moon to finish the squad we could again be in trouble this year. We've added some much needed experience to the squad, but the weakest area by far was the backrow and ability to turn the ball over and as far as I can see we have still not addressed it. Losing Hill makes us weaker than last year. Front row appears a lot stronger, scrum half with Dicko and Burns should be as good as anyone and pace to burn out wide. Interesting to see who if anyone is left to come???

compo simonite (IP Logged)
03 July, 2017 17:02
CROS

Interesting to see who if anyone is left to come.......

I suspect the answer is no, the likelihood is no to any big names or players who will provide another aspect of entertaining rugby to boost the attendance.......perhaps a minnow or two....a interesting line up in the fact that it should keep us out of the relegation race.....

Avoiding the relegation race is all we are playing for no chance of promotion or the playoffs which have now gone.........its ‘utility rugby‘......

Forget the B&I Cup, a tournament which few outside of this level of rugby know of.........

Am I looking forward to the new season, yes very much so, I enjoy my rugby and I have said it before I would very much love to see Mike Rayer given the budget to play the type of rugby he wants to produce......

Every year at the start of each season I offer up a pray.....’please let us beat Rotherham and Jersey.....and avoid relegation'

TryBlues (IP Logged)
03 July, 2017 19:04
After a few "big name" signings I thought it was looking promising, as things have gone on it's looking more concerning. I actually think we're looking the same as last season at best, if not slightly worse at the moment.

As well having back row issues it was clear whenever Carrick-Smith went off our scrum struggled. You can have the best 2 international props in the world but if you have no power from the 2nd row you're not making the best use out of them.

Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
03 July, 2017 19:32
TryBlues, totally agree. The current squad size is very concerning, unless a load are coming in due to tie ups with Premiership Clubs.....I was hoping for a big name 8 and the league up to 16, maybe next season.

bluegrass (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 19:33
It could be worse, looks like leeds have got big problems no squad announced yet,three quatequarters of there ground shut. Looking around the rest of the club's in our league Jersey and Roth have almost totally new squads pirates have made cutbacks all the rest are struggling apart from Bristol and Ealing, Doncaster looking good also. Still say we will be top four with three more to come and loans or dual reg still to be announced. Good leadership on the field this season will make a differance

TryBlues (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 23:34
At the moment I wonder who is going to win turnovers?

It says a lot when Burns is one of our best at winning penalties. Adams was the best forward after Hill... apart from them we didn't have ball winners.

I read in the BoS that we want to be the fittest team, well that only works if you have a strong fast backrow who will win the ball and create tunrovers to run an opposition ragged otherwise we're just going to get dominated with the opposition dictating the pace of the game.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 13:25
Will update later... from Blues site

Bedford have been joined by a number of talented youngsters who could be part of the Blues Academy set-up for the 2017-18 season. Winger Ryan Hutler continues his development in the Academy where he is joined by ex-Saracens and Munster scrum-half James Lennon, former Blues and Saints second-row Ben Kelland who has also played in France for Pau. Matt Riddington, centre, was part of the Leicester Academy as well as spending time in France and finished last season at South Leicester. He will be looking to impress the coaches at Goldington Road, as will back rower Joe Britton and full-back Joe Green who were both part of the Saints set-up and featured in Mike Howard’s Testimonial, plus loosehead prop Ben Abraham who continues to impress for Cambridge.

The Blues are also looking to continue their close links with Premiership sides Saracens and Northampton Saints which have seen numerous dual registered and loan players pulling on the Bedford shirt over the years. With the Premiership A League details still to be confirmed, Rayer is not ruling out a few more new faces come the start of the season. He said: “We continue to have really positive dialogue with Jim Mallinder and Mark McCall so we will see where that takes us. Even if the A League takes on more fixtures, there are still a lot of boys that need to play rugby.”

TryBlues (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 22:20
Updated still short at prop and 1 more back row option would be good. Then top up with DRs and see how we go I suppose.

compo simonite (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 19:36
Try Blues just thought it was time for ‘the pond’ to offer a big thank you for the work you have done in collating the list of Blues players............you kept us informed..........I suspect you spent many hours reading the papers and scanning the internet to provide us with the current list.......thank you.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 06:31
That's not a problem. With lots of new players hopefully they gel well.

17 July, 2017 19:50
Yep with all that mega hold it'll be a team of little biebers

TryBlues (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 22:45
Lewis will be at Cambridge again on loan.

artfulbadger (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 18:47
Culverhouse to Ampthill.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 20:11
Thanks updated!

About time we heard of the final touches to the squad.

mgslade (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 05:51
With 27 players currently listed on the website compared with 37 in last season's programme, at the moment we are going to need at least 6 DR players to be able to compete properly.

09 August, 2017 07:18
Plenty of recruitment going on still, down the B530. We've got a tiny squad, which is concerning so close to the start of the season and after pre season training blocks.

25 August, 2017 13:33
Interesting addition at no.8 for the game at Blackheath. Looks to be a very solid unit and great ball carrier. Hope he's signed for us, not had anything like him since Shrek, just what we need.

mgslade (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:27
I am also interested see Dom Morris at 13 and Ben Kelland at 5 in the Blues team, in two positions which need a bit more depth.

I was also wondering where Pat Tapley is this season?

charleyboy (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:50
Quote:
mgslade
I am also interested see Dom Morris at 13 and Ben Kelland at 5 in the Blues team, in two positions which need a bit more depth.
I was also wondering where Pat Tapley is this season?

Tapley is traveling the world, I believe.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 16:26
Added Sione Vailanu & Morris

YouTube of Sione, looks like he has pace and power but not sure how good opposition were. Hopefully is a useful addition we've been looking for quite a few years.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 16:28 by TryBlues.

25 August, 2017 16:37
Tryblues, nothing mentioned about the signing on the main site, well that I could find anyway.

charleyboy (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 16:56
A trialist, perhaps.

25 August, 2017 18:09
Charleyboy, it would be nice to know what the situation is. Perhaps the match preview would have been the ideal place to keep supporters informed. Anyway COYB!

charleyboy (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 19:01
JW. Agreed.

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 19:20
In rayer we trust - we asked for a marauding no-8 and we got one, not only that one with speed and according to his video 'beast mode' - could be interesting!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net