rugbyunion
Latest News:

Fixtures
dunc999 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 10:57
Fixtures out...nice end of Sept trip to Jersey but they won;t confirm date yet! Shame cos can fly for a Sat 3pm KO from Luton and back Sunday for about £60 at the moment!!

Re: Fixtures
Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 17:16
Excellent same as last year, up for that

compo simonite (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 17:08
Well the announcement of the fixtures has hardly stirred ‘the pond’......... no postings means either there are no blatant errors or perhaps no one has checked their diaries......

My comments are a repeat of my previous ‘gripe’ the B&I Cup how much better the Championship fixtures would look if it were not for this ‘non event’.....expand the Championship to fourteen and then sixteen teams.......

......who outside a small cohort of rugby fanatic’s know of the B&I’s existence........let alone paid to watch the final whenever that was played.....

13 June, 2017 19:53
Yep expand the league, no play offs so nothing to play for, other than survival. It's going to be another long season, but ours will be over by Xmas

stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 05:04
Hello, peeps.

Any truth in the rumour that our two sides will meet in a fixture of the Pre-Season/Friendly variety on Sat 19 Aug? With our owners allegedly off in NZ watching the Lions and your office saying nought "until it's on the website", what's a guy to do about planning his summer?

Plus there's a new generation of PARFC youngsters who'll need training with pitons, ropes and crampons in preparation for the North Face of Goldington Road... (Sm14)

Any info gratefully received.

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 16:11
August 12th 3pm.

Ginger Blueboy (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 13:55
Surprised no-one else is bothered by our home game for 30th December - why are we not playing that on 1 January? Everybody knows when we play on Boxing Day or New Year's Day we get an extra thousand or more in (Boxing day against Jersey was 4,500+)!

Absolute madness from club if they've decided that

27 June, 2017 19:19
Madness, but then nothing surprises me at the moment...

Magoo (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 21:08
Jo Public will be back at work on Tuesday 2nd January. Playing on January 1st would be the equivalent of playing on a Sunday (back to work Monday) Sunday match attendances have always suffered compared to games with the following day off work,

28 June, 2017 17:58
Magoo, I refer you to the attendance record for Boxing Day and New Year's Day games in the past for the tendency for Jo Public to turn out in their droves more than usual - it's definitely an exception to the rule you cited about effective Sundays producing poorer attendances

compo simonite (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 20:03
The New Year's fixture in question is sandwiched between two B&I weekends, on the second and third weekends in December and the B&I fixtures on the weekends on the third and fourth weekends in January ......

This will mean that home fans will only have the Ealing game on the 30th December to provide them with a game of ‘real’ rugby between the game Blues v Hartpury on Friday 24 November and the Blues v Jersey game on the 10 February............

I do hope that I have explained that correctly .......

Magoo (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 11:49
Ginger Blueboy, Thanks for the info, I haven't seen the attendance records for Boxing Day and New Year's Day games you refer to. It will be interesting to compare the attendance for the scheduled match on 30th December 2017 to the last time we played a home game on Monday 1st January. What was the number back then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2017 11:50 by Magoo.

06 July, 2017 10:16
Magoo (based on Wiki):

26 Dec. 2016 vs. Jersey 4,621 - W39-37
1 Jan 2016 vs. London Scottish 4,341 - W31-19
26 Dec. 2015 vs. Bristol 4,401 - L24-28
1 Jan 2014 vs. London Scottish 2,555 - W21-13
26 Dec. 2013 vs. Rotherham Titans 4,418 - W22-16
1 Jan. 2012 vs. Cornish Pirates 4,396 - W32-13

Figures are even higher than I remember them being, regularly over 4,000 and as you can see, we also tend to perform better in front of the larger crowds!

The outlier attendance is L. Scottish in 2014, but I do remember there was one New Year's Day fixture in (relatively) recent times that was beset by rain, so that might explain that.

So average attendance for last three Boxing Day home fixtures is 4,480; average attendance for last three New Year's Day fixtures is 3,764 and then ignoring the Scottish figure as an anomaly due to very bad weather, it rises to 4,368(.5).

And let's be brutal about this, Bristol aside and maybe if we're being extraordinarily generous and assume Jersey's support on the road to be strong, those crowds are mainly floating Blues supporters.

Taking those recent attendances and average into account, anything less than 4,000 in reasonable weather shows moving it to 30th December to be a profound misjudgement. If it is beset by bad weather, we should still be hoping for 2,400+ as minimum.

If we do get a poor attendance, shareholders at the AGM have to raise the issue, imo.

Magoo (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 13:17
Ginger BlueBoy, the New Year’s Day games you’ve quoted were all followed by non-working days:

Friday 1 Jan 2016 - Saturday January 2nd & Sunday January 3rd was a Weekend.
Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 - Thursday January 2nd was a Bank Holiday.
Sunday 1 Jan. 2012 - Monday 2nd January and Tuesday 3rd were both public/bank Holidays.

Your figures don’t relate to this coming seasons situation. Tuesday January 2nd 2018 is a working day. Games played the day before a work day have been notoriously lower compared to those played when the following day is a day off. Hence the reason the game has been scheduled for Saturday December 30th instead of Monday 1st January.

Best regards Magoo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net