rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday vs Bristol
ComeRainOrShine (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:40
I bet David Lemi is licking his lips looking at who he'll be facing at number 14 for Bedford . . . . Rabbit in head lights springs to mind!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2017 18:41 by ComeRainOrShine.

Re: Saturday vs Bristol
Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 19:39
Lol, from boy to man in 80 mins, no pressure

TryBlues (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 20:17
15. Jordan Williams; 14. Luke Morahan, 13. Alapati Leiua, 12. Tusi Pisi (c), 11. David Lemi; 10. Ian Madigan, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Jack O’Connell, 2. Jason Harris-Wright, 3. Nicky Thomas, 4. Joe Joyce, 5. Chris Vui, 6. Sam Jeffries, 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Jack Lam.

Replacements: 16. Ross McMillan, 17. Tyler Gendall, 18. Sione Faletau, 19. Jordan Crane, 20. Rhodri Williams, 21. Callum Sheedy, 22. Mat Protheroe.

Lam makes nine changes for Round Four clash
One competitive debut as Chris Vui earns his first start
Seven internationals in starting line-up
Seven aged 24 or under in starting line-up

Thought they would go for a 5-2 split rather than the 4-3 and try and sort us out in the forwards. Their pack was weak in the first couple of game, so we'll have to put pressure on in the scrum.

Blue33Years (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:01
Thought that was a bit condescending CROS

The lad has significantly improved since joining from Ampthill. Give him a chance.

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:42
He's had his chance and taken it. Always in my "team"

TryBlues (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 12:18
Today is a day where we will see whether he has developed.

There is no denying he is quick and has a big boot but today he will be tested under the high ball and defensively.

Personally, with Dodge being brought in to add some extra physicality, I would have started with Lane on the wing.

mellsblue (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:15
Well, what a match that would've been to watch. Very jealous of anyone who was there. The BBC have Tupai down as successfully taking a conversion. Would someone confirm either way, please.

23 September, 2017 18:37
No. ECH. Drop kicked one though. 😂 great game even from a losing point of view.

Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:50
I think we would have taken a point before the game. Still think we have a team that will finish in the top 6, maybe even top 4. So do we start with Burns somewhere in the back line? the game seemed to change when he came on. Rayer has some thinking to do when he's eating his pie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 18:54 by Jonathan Wilcox.

1bluesladyfan (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 23:40
As usual - (first time this year) I've fired off a sarky email to the@#$%&BBC folk who not only had Toops getting a conversion, but if you look at who did what according to them, then the final score was 52-69 and we scored 6 tries, Burns getting a hat trick.
Don't you just love their caring attitude to detail?

charleyboy (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 08:28
Quote:
1bluesladyfan
As usual - (first time this year) I've fired off a sarky email to the@#$%&BBC folk who not only had Toops getting a conversion, but if you look at who did what according to them, then the final score was 52-69 and we scored 6 tries, Burns getting a hat trick.
Don't you just love their caring attitude to detail?
Well the 6 tries is correct!

TryBlues (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 08:29
52 points would've been even better!

Yaffle (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:09
Absolutely no shame in losing to this Bristol set up who will have secured the title sometime in the New Year. What is not acceptable is shipping two tries in the first five minutes and then allowing the flood gates to remain open for much of the match. The fact that we scored six good tries against this side shows what we are capable of and how much closer this game could have/should have been. We have now played the top two contenders and shown our defensive frailties against both. However, I remain confident that this squad will do well against the rest of the league and are capable of competing for a top four position at the end of the season.

Blue Fox (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 11:37
It's the injury count that bothers me more to be honest; shows up the squad depth. Bad one for Justin Blanchet yesterday. The other JB had a good game at scrum half I thought.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 12:36
We're going to need Nay back from Saracens. I suppose with Jordan O (saints player) back next week, Taylor can go to back row but we are looking light in the back 5 position.

Yesterday we had 2 hookers on the field for 10 mins for a HIA/blood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 12:36 by TryBlues.

bluegrass (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 16:33
Might struggle with Smarties due to the number of back row players out injured. Might have to look to saints or maybe wasps.

24 September, 2017 16:41
Quote:
ComeRainOrShine
I bet David Lemi is licking his lips looking at who he'll be facing at number 14 for Bedford . . . . Rabbit in head lights springs to mind!

Didn't do to bad did he?

the hooded man (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 09:36
Bit of a brutal first five minutes. It's an 80 minute game (probably nearer ninety with the injuries and Blanchet looked in a lot of pain).

With 38 points Blues would have won any of the other Saturday games. It shows supporters have a lot to look forward to in the rest of the season. Despite our frailty in the second half in previous games, we lost to Bristol by only 3 points and I didn't notice any drop off in Bristol's intensity.

The squad showed character in not letting heads drop and always, one felt going for the win, or at least the bonus points on offer. Probably deserved a losing bonus as well.

That character will be tested in the response to two defeats on the bounce at Jersey and then Goldington Road.

The worry as mentioned elsewhere is the attrition rate and keeping bodies on the field.

If we can do that, I for one look forward to the rest of the season.

Deerhunter (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 22:05
Interesting view from Bristol fan;

Had to smile when Pat Lam said that defensive display was not us! Sorry but I have been watching Bristol a bit longer than him and it is all about us! I just hope he can get some discipline into the side.
We were never n any danger of losing that one, but looked the same at Pirates until...
We seem to not have a game plan to close a game out. At HT the players should have been told (and may have been) that stopping Bedford scoring was more important than us playing champagne rugby and running in a few more. And what do we do - let in 4 more tries. We were running the ball from our own line, giving penalties away in our own half for fun - must have been over a dozen in the second half. How no-one was sent to the bin we will never know. And Bedford finished looking the fitter of the sides over the last 20.
Don't get me wrong. it was a very entertaining game with some great running rugby. But we need to get away from the "we will score more tries than you" mentality which is what it was on Saturday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 21:24 by SimonB.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net