rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Future of Bedford
Miss Rugby (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 14:31
I love Bedford rugby club but I do fear for its future.
We do not appear to have vision or any long term plans. I keep hearing supporters talking being third in the league, semi finalists in B & I cup and best semi pro club but I do fear that other clubs may overtake us and suddenly we are stagnating and struggling. I just think its about time for the club(management) to take a long hard serious look.

Re: Future of Bedford
Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 20:00
Yes and make a statement on the plans for the next 5+ years

bluegrass (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:04
Well I can see there isn't any rugby being played, there are plenty of people commenting on nothing. Not sure how you come up with a five year plan when the RFU aren't sure what's happening next season. Geoff Irvine is doing his best to try and improve each season but it is very difficult when you don't have a main sponsor that is ploughing in loads of money. Almost all of the championship clubs are struggling each season to make ends meat. I am old enough to remember the days when we nearly disappeared. And I for one don't want that again. If anybody has any knowledge of a company that wants to put in half a million a season let Gareth know I'm sure he will snap there hand off. I am just a realist that wants the best for my club and would love to see better players here but we have budget to stick to.

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 06:42
Quote:
Miss Rugby
I love Bedford rugby club but I do fear for its future.
We do not appear to have vision or any long term plans. I keep hearing supporters talking being third in the league, semi finalists in B & I cup and best semi pro club but I do fear that other clubs may overtake us and suddenly we are stagnating and struggling. I just think its about time for the club(management) to take a long hard serious look.

Not sure that is going to happen MR - As I stated in another thread I see the club as little more than Geoff Irvine's plaything, very much like having a race horse as a hobby. Don't spend too much on a thoroughbred but just enough to keep the horse winning a few races each year without spending a fortune entering group 1 races. then top up each year with some stud duties (selling our best players).

Miss Rugby (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 12:21
Bedford is and always has been a rugby town but how many people if stopped in the street realise there is a rugby club that play on Saturdays and are well worth a visit. The club should be out there in every way possible trying to promote itself.
From little acorns, mighty oaks grow but the acorns have to be planted.

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 12:50
Quote:
Miss Rugby
Bedford is and always has been a rugby town but how many people if stopped in the street realise there is a rugby club that play on Saturdays and are well worth a visit. The club should be out there in every way possible trying to promote itself.
From little acorns, mighty oaks grow but the acorns have to be planted.

How many Middle and Upper schools does the club visit during a season, maybe offering a child goes free with paying adult ?

red eagle (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 14:48
bluegrass I doubt 1/2 a million a year would cover it.

miss rugby look at Exeter and Ealing, they seem to have got this future thing going in the right direction. Bedford ceased to be a "rugby town" many years ago, if people want top flight rugby they can get to Saints and Sarries easily, if they want decent rugby on the cheap they have The Ath, Ampthill, Luton and a couple of Cambridge teams all within easy reach. Why should the player get out and promote the club, they are paid to train and play, it is a job for them no more no less.

welsh blue, the school visits ended when Jackson left. I like your racehorse analogy but we are more of a carthorse plodding away, or even one of those medieval donkeys in a giant hamster wheel walking along but getting nowhere.

Miss Rugby (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 17:50
Red Eagle - I didn't mean the players as such, most have jobs but we do have a PR office who should be promoting the club. Maybe I am naÔve and living on another planet but I just feel there's so much more that could be done.
We are standing still and other clubs are overtaking us.

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 06:54
Quote:
Miss Rugby
Red Eagle - I didn't mean the players as such, most have jobs but we do have a PR office who should be promoting the club. Maybe I am naÔve and living on another planet but I just feel there's so much more that could be done.
We are standing still and other clubs are overtaking us.

I've made my feelings known on another thread regarding sponsorship where I've stated that the commercial dept of the club don't seem to be looking outside of the box for financial opportunities. Do they go outside of the town to seek large sponsorship deals ?, my view is they need to get off their backsides and look further afield. the same applies to promoting the club, they need to get out to a 40 mile radius, if you think small you end up small.

Miss Rugby (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 10:30
Welshblue - totally agree.

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 11:09
Quote:
Miss Rugby
Welshblue - totally agree.

Ta !

TryBlues (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 22:24
Red Eagle are you sure Bedford is not a rugby town?

14th best supported and the major sport in the town. There are not many clubs out there which have a greater support for rugby than football. You could argue that Bedford is the best supported team outside the 13 Premiership clubs.

red eagle (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 04:00
Yeah you are right all the shops and supermarkets empty as the crowds flock to Goldington Road on a Saturday afternoon, Go and stop people in the street and ask them if they ever go to watch Bedford play. Walk around the car parks and compare the vehicles with Blues sticker against Saints and Sarries. Watch how they stand ten deep every time Blues have a stand in the town centre, where do all of the fireworks crowd go for the rest of the year.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 14:04
Quote:
red eagle
Yeah you are right all the shops and supermarkets empty as the crowds flock to Goldington Road on a Saturday afternoon, Go and stop people in the street and ask them if they ever go to watch Bedford play. Walk around the car parks and compare the vehicles with Blues sticker against Saints and Sarries. Watch how they stand ten deep every time Blues have a stand in the town centre, where do all of the fireworks crowd go for the rest of the year.

If you re-read and think about what you typed, you should be able see how ridiculous it actually is! Oh I forgot you only come on here to make your snide comments and live in the past (Jackson era).

Out of interest when was the last time you paid to go watch a Blues 1st team game at Goldington Road?

Community program... [www.bedfordrugby.co.uk]

red eagle (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 08:28
Thanks for that TB, just as a matter of interest other than the "1/2 term rugby camps" which are an income generator, when do the community program visit schools on a regular basis?

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 13:15
Not all publicity costs a lot of money, the club needs to be more innovative

I agree though the community programme is a big success but like the 'ground improvements' are partly funded by RFU

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 07:18
Quote:
Luton_Blue
Not all publicity costs a lot of money, the club needs to be more innovative
I agree though the community programme is a big success but like the 'ground improvements' are partly funded by RFU

Wouldn't cost much maybe petrol money for the Blues Community officer whoever he is to visit the upper schools in Bedfordshire. I have it on good authority that at least 2 upper schools in Luton no longer have rugby on the curriculum

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 07:36
Doesn't surprise me (re: rugby in Luton).

Have Blues community gone into Luton schools? I'm not too sure?

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 09:55
Quote:
Luton_Blue
Doesn't surprise me (re: rugby in Luton).
Have Blues community gone into Luton schools? I'm not too sure?

I doubt it very much

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 10:21
Thatís a shame, a visit from a local big rugby club could be a young player or new supporter gained

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 10:30
Quote:
Luton_Blue
Thatís a shame, a visit from a local big rugby club could be a young player or new supporter gained
Ah but that's thinking out of the box, the box being Goldington Road

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 09:32
Indeed, we seem to follow the same old tired marketing strategies, there must be a young marketing graduate out there who can shake things up other than the usual balloons, pens & key rings!

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 11:35
Quote:
Luton_Blue
Indeed, we seem to follow the same old tired marketing strategies, there must be a young marketing graduate out there who can shake things up other than the usual balloons, pens & key rings!
There probably is but they probably won't take it on as a intern, and have their hands tied, by an unambitious management group and board, less is more - apparently ??????

red eagle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 16:46
Great thoughts on here. Is it true that as part of the forward planning the eagle is going to be replaced with a unicorn?

mellsblue (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 18:33
Quote:
red eagle
Great thoughts on here. Is it true that as part of the forward planning the eagle is going to be replaced with a unicorn?
No need for the sarcasm. A few visits to some Bedfordshire schools and a letter to PwC, Ineos and Tata, and weíll be Prem champs by Christmas.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net