Not!

Re: Wow, a Saracens friendly how exciting
Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 19:06
Stay at home then, problem solved.

Re: Wow, a Saracens friendly how excitingr
Steve O (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 20:52
Oh no. How dare the club arrange a home pre season friendly against the English Champions. This is simply not good enough, what do the club think they are doing? 😂

Sorry Luton Blue but if this isnít good enough for you then perhaps you should just move on and stop upsetting yourself over everything the club does. I am sure Ampthill will welcome you with open arms at their pre season games - which they have yet to announce btw.

Well done Blues, always good to see some of the best players in the country at GR.

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 07:24
I will, I'd rather see us play somebody different (and not Northampton)

Do you truly think Saracens will bring anything like an English Champions side? They're probably playing a bigger side the next day (as is usually the case).

I'm more excited about the game with Bishops Stortford if I'm honest

And as for Ampthill, as I've said before a team with a plan!

You need to demand more from your club, especially after the successful season we've just had.

I think you'll find I'm probably more demanding than you are - same old friendlies, finish in the top half - nah, I'd want a plan! ambition! have you got any????

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 08:13
PS if you're so excited about watching Saracens, why don't you get a season ticket for them and watch them every week? They're clearly a club with ambition & a plan, that would alien to you though #twodogs

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 09:37
Quote:
Luton_Blue
PS if you're so excited about watching Saracens, why don't you get a season ticket for them and watch them every week? They're clearly a club with ambition & a plan, that would alien to you though #twodogs

To be honest LB I tend to agree with you there, the annual Saracens fixture is really only to rubber stamp the DR agreement, and does nothing for pre season form as we usually get bashed.
I know I'm biased but would rather see 3 games against say RGC1404, Carmarthen Quins, or a real test would be against Premiership double winners Merthyr.
No doubt Steve O likes the Saracens fixture so that he can run around gathering autographs and selfies with the Sarries top players who don't play

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 10:16
I think the DR with Saracens is dead? No use to us anyway

How about a game against bath or Exeter? Something really exciting, well different at least

Steve O (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 15:45
Far too old to running around after players thanks Welsh blue.
Excited to watch Sarries as it is a once a season thing, donít want to watch them every week as thatís when I watch the Blues.
Why would we want 3 pre season friendlies against a bunch of welsh blokes no one has heard of and where we would win each of them comfortably? Challenging yourselves against the best is surely a good thing and will drive up playing standards, even in defeat. Plus also anyone who thinks Sarries turn up without any big names playing has obviously not been to the previous games!
It also attracts a big crowd for more season and generates lots of income, donít understand what your problems are?

Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 15:45
I was hoping we would play a different Prem club, getting a bit boring now.....

Ginger Blueboy (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 18:07
Have to admit, not really excited about Saracens again. However, think it's justifiable for this season considering they're the English Premiership champions so more likely to attract the passing punter than mid-table Premiership side like Bath.

We used to play Newport Gwent Dragons a couple of times in friendlies and was rather hoping for that rather than Bishop's Stortford (no offence to BS, but we won't get a great crowd).

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 18:15
"Against a bunch of Welsh blokes we've never heard of" or Saracens b team maybe?

Ginger Blueboy (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 07:39
I would expect us to get at least 2,000+ crowd for Saracens and if we were due to play NGW, would be hopeful of 2,000+ for that too. With Bishop's Stortford though, 1,200 would be a good crowd.

WelshBlue (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 08:00
Quote:
Steve O
Far too old to running around after players thanks Welsh blue.
Excited to watch Sarries as it is a once a season thing, donít want to watch them every week as thatís when I watch the Blues.
Why would we want 3 pre season friendlies against a bunch of welsh blokes no one has heard of and where we would win each of them comfortably? Challenging yourselves against the best is surely a good thing and will drive up playing standards, even in defeat. Plus also anyone who thinks Sarries turn up without any big names playing has obviously not been to the previous games!
It also attracts a big crowd for more season and generates lots of income, donít understand what your problems are?
I think your comments above pretty much sum up your knowledge of rugby SO, any common sense you may have or knowledge of welsh rugby appears to have dropped off the side of the severn bridge my friend.

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 09:31
You'd get 2000+ against any decent premiership side BUT lets see first, after all I may not be the only person who is tired of seeing a B Saracens side because the A team is playing the next, wait & see......

Bishops Stortford, expect under 1,000 - I've been to these type of friendlies and there's been 500 - where were you all smiling smiley smiling smiley

dunc999 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 09:47
IMO for pre-season we would only get 2000+ vs Sarries, Saints or maybe now Wasps given their locality. Others woouldn;t bring many away supportes in the numbers these do, and that is why I think the club sticks with them, get an pre-season boost to the coffers with a good crowd in. I'm bringing 3 new people to this who have never been to Blues before, as it's a good chance to see Sarries and a few stars up close and personal. Maybe we should have stipulated a game with Wasps for something differnt as part of the Booj deal.

Theres a lot to criticise the club for but keeping a close relationship with one of Europes premier teams and having a money spinning friendly is sure being negative for the sake of it.

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 10:52
It's not negative if you pay £20 every other week to watch rugby? It's constructive criticism winking smiley

Wasps would have been good.

junior (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 10:12
Hi All,

I am bringing my son to this fixture for his first ever game. He is very excited about it.
Where is best for parking near by?

Thanks

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 10:48
I can park down the avenue Bushmead Avenue, it's pay & display and a short walk.

Hope he has a great time, I like taking my son to these friendlies - a good atmosphere!

junior (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:54
Thanks Luton, greatly appreciated.
I'm sure he will, glad he finally wanted to go!

red eagle (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 11:39
Quote:
Luton_Blue
I will, I'd rather see us play somebody different (and not Northampton)
Do you truly think Saracens will bring anything like an English Champions side? They're probably playing a bigger side the next day (as is usually the case).

I'm more excited about the game with Bishops Stortford if I'm honest

And as for Ampthill, as I've said before a team with a plan!

You need to demand more from your club, especially after the successful season we've just had.

I think you'll find I'm probably more demanding than you are - same old friendlies, finish in the top half - nah, I'd want a plan! ambition! have you got any????

What is Ampthills plan and how does it affect Bedford Rugby Club?

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 08:14
Good scrum, good lineout, fast backs think we'll be ok.

Miss Rugby (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 10:53
Lets hope the injuries are not to bad, there was some hard hits going in.
I think if the boys play like they did yesterday, we will be ok.
The score is immaterial when playing the likes of Saracens, lots of tired Blues bodies but I do feel we will hold our own next season.
Well done boys and good luck.

mellsblue (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 14:36
Yep. Great examination. Just what you want from pre-season. As Garlic said, set-piece went very well. The defence was a bit narrow but otherwise looked solid. We know weíll be ok in attack and we had a few glimpses of that. I think weíve recruited well and hopefully the three loanees left to be announced will add to that. If nothing else, it was worth it to watch WCS stand next to Skelton.

Rollingrock (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 17:56
Great first half performance & competed at every level. Blues were always going to be up against maintaining that level in the second half but worryingly for me was the way that our fitness levels dropped so much, apart from a few stand out players like lane, Adamson, dickson, Elliott, & Robling. Every other player looked way off the mark in terms of fitness. Sarries levels of fitness never dropped throughout ! Why as a professional set up are we not at that level in terms of fitness ? Right before I get shot down, I understand they are league & European champions but they are still individual players whoís personal levels of fitness are unbelievable. Letís also remember this was their first run out of the season ! Should their players and our players be so far apart in terms of fitness levels when both sets are professional players ? Bedford do have an exceedingly good squad and recruitment has been great & I do believe that again this season we will be hard to beat, but Iím just shocked at the difference in terms of intense fitness levels between the two sides. Surely every players objective is to be at that level isnít it ?
Anyway on to fridays game and a win is a must !

mellsblue (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 18:57
We are not the first and wonít be the last to keep in contact with Sarries and then fall apart towards the end of the match. Prem teams do it, too. Tackling Internationals like Skelton, Day, Tolofua, Maitland and Taylor, plus top end Prem talent like Rhodes, Wray and Lewington, and then trying to deal with replacements like Goode, Strettle and Vailanu, whilst suffering a number of injuries, will stretch any team. Was I the only one who felt for a knackered Lane when he thought he had to tackle (head on with a 10m run up) a rested Skelton? I bet heís never been so happy to see someone pass the ball.
There is a reason the likes of NZ pull away in the last 20/30 mins - the oppo spend the previous 50/60 mins working at 100% to contain the superior team but then run out of steam and have to deal with a superior bench.
The first few matches of the regular season will tell us more but I hope Iím right and youíre wrong! Going solely on who our S&C coach is, I think weíll be ok.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net