rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Jersey Boys are coming...
compo simonite (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 13:17
Saturday will see the first home game of the season against Jersey always a feisty game, with our current injury list team selection should be interesting......

Hopefully we will be turning out in our droves and with over 300 seats still available in the stand we will be hoping for a warm dry weather to encourage the fans to GR.......

Pre game drinking haunts have increased in number has anyone visited Beerfly which has just opened in St Cuthberts Street?

Re: The Jersey Boys are coming...
TryBlues (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 15:38
The earlier fixtures always have lower crowds due to people still going on holiday.

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 08:04
I may have acquired a flagon or two from said establishment.

dunc999 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 11:33
So in news....

Bedford Blues have added further Premiership quality to their back line with the signing of Welsh outside back Harry Davies.

Davies, 24, whose preferred position is fullback but can also play 13 and wing, has signed on for the Goldington Road club on a short term deal having spent the past two seasons with Bath.

Standing at six feet four inches tall and tipping the scales at 102kg, the Welshman will add an extra string to the already impressive Blues backs.

Along with Davies, former Northampton Saints duo Ben Foden and Jamie Elliott should be available for selection for the weekend's first home game of the Championship season against Jersey Reds.

Now that's quite a strong trio to be able to put in the backs at this level!!!

05 September, 2018 16:40
Harry Davies is an awesome signing some excellent footage of him on YouTube.. ......

Who was it that used to frequent theses pages urging us to look for young talent in the valleys.......?

Saturdayís going to be fun......

TryBlues (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 17:18
Here is the link [youtu.be]

I actually thought stick him at inside centre he could be like Atkinson with his offloading to a Foden or Elliott outside or with Lane storming on to the ball.

iron blue (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 19:58
Some great offloading quick as well for a big lad. Looking forward to seeing him on Saturday.

Nick Timmins (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 09:16
Looking forward to Saturday and the test that is always Jersey.

I do continue to wonder why we subject our squad to pre-season games against the likes of Saracens, accepted politically it is sensible but we invariably end up with several of our first choice players injured, which is not good, as we then start the season at a disadvantage, or have to backfill at very short notice.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 11:13

TryBlues (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Nick Timmins
Looking forward to Saturday and the test that is always Jersey.
I do continue to wonder why we subject our squad to pre-season games against the likes of Saracens, accepted politically it is sensible but we invariably end up with several of our first choice players injured, which is not good, as we then start the season at a disadvantage, or have to backfill at very short notice.

As I have said before the Saracens game is good earner, which goes some way to funding players. Money is always left in the budget to sign extra players during the season.

artfulbadger (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:14
From the lack of comment, may I deduce that others may have been as unconvinced as I was by aspects of today's performance? Perhaps someone who understands the game better than I could explain why I was so uninspired. Am I being thoroughly churlish complaining about a five point win? Probably! But I thought ball retention was poor, with too much lost through penalties and, without naming names, the weakness of our squad in certain positions was cruelly exposed. On the positive side, great credit to the pack for their performance, in the tight especially. Again, avoiding naming names, some of the backs also gave very good value, but we saw very little from one or two others. Perhaps lack of playing time together may account for this? Our handling of the Cornish breakaways had me wincing. Still perhaps it takes a good side to win when you are not really firing on all cylinders.

08 September, 2018 18:24
Bedfordís effort today has been described on another forum by a Jersey supporter

Boring boring Bedford!!

What are your thoughts....?

charleyboy (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:50
Quote:
artfulbadger
Our handling of the Cornish breakaways had me wincing.

I didn't know Jersey was in Cornwall!

Garlic sausage (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:01
I was one who called Jersey boring on that other site so fair play to Brizzer for the returns. Any win against the tax exiles should be cherished as they are our bogie side.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:04
It wasn't the usual Blues style of play, however, what was impressive about today was what many on this forum have been crying out for... "where's the plan B".

We are playing with

10 a makeshift fly half - 3rd choice
12 an inside centre who has been with us a couple of weeks
13 just come back from injury
14 Academy player

We totally dominated Jersey in the forwards. How many times have we been able to say that, how many Championship teams have ever been able to say that?

Buggea is not a Championship 7 and we need Nay to be playing or to be recruiting a proper 7. Fields also struggled with the lineout throwing, which almost cost us.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:13
Quote:
compo simonite
Bedfordís effort today has been described on another forum by a Jersey supporter
Boring boring Bedford!!

What are your thoughts....?

the Jersey supporter on another forum added a 'wink' emoticon, so you've effectively misquoted him or tried to make out he was being deadly serious.

there is a certain irony in the way Blues achieved today's result, n'est-ce pas?!

iron blue (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:19
Well pleased with the win today and yes it is the sign of a good team that wins ugly. Well done lads 5 points, can't ask for any more, especially against Jersey. Keep winning, don't worry about the performance that will come in time.

Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:23
Two in and two wins, canít complain at that. Anyway, plenty to work on, but early days.
COYB !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 06:34 by Jonathan Wilcox.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net