rugbyunion
Latest News:

4500+
Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 08:01
Looks like the blues ate their turkey and attacked the selection boxes?

Wondering how many of 4500+ will be back? Maybe some will be so impressed they'll be on their way to ampthill?

Turner definitely out thought Rayer

A great game, great atmosphere - shame the blues didn't take it as seriously

Re: 4500+
mellsblue (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 09:29
Chill, Winston. It was a friendly in which we fielded a second choice team, and rightly so after a four day turnaround following seven consecutive weekends of rugby. Look at the important facts.......we are third in the league, even though we’ve had no flyhalf for substantial chunks, and through to the knock out stages of the cup against a weak Leeds team. I’m not particularly worried about a friendly against a team with a point to prove whilst fielding a scratch side.

Well done to the club for thinking outside the box to provide some Boxing Day rugby for the hoi polloi. I hope the players now get a well earned rest before a stretch of six consecutive weekends of rugby.

compo simonite (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 11:22
Luton

A great game, great atmosphere - shame the blues didn't take it as seriously. ...

Total agreement....

Great day with loads of atmosphere and it should be on the club's calandar as an annual event......

Ampthill deserve to be in this league despite comments which have been aired on this site.......

Lack of players to play in key positions is down to the management.....

Did anyone note the 'bird box' has been painted...and the clock has disappeared....

Ampthill brought with them best visiting supporters we have seen for years.......a great day.....total entertainment.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 15:26
We all know we often get 4k for Boxing Day or New Years Eve, but don't get it again in the season except for perhaps a final league game or against the Premiership club. Losing or beating Ampthill will not have any effect.

The game was set up to provide income and some family entertainment and it did just that.

We had very much a mix and match team, our backs are our strength and look what we put out

15. Tom Walker, 14. Pat Tapley, 13. Ed Coulson, 12. Tom Hitchcock, 11. Joe Green, 10. Jake Sharp, 9. Al Gliksten

1 1st choice starter (maybe), 2 trialists, 1 "new" player, 1 only recently back from a long term injury, 1 academy player, 1 DR never played with the fly half.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 15:26
We all know we often get 4k for Boxing Day or New Years Eve, but don't get it again in the season except for perhaps a final league game or against the Premiership club. Losing or beating Ampthill will not have any effect.

The game was set up to provide income and some family entertainment and it did just that.

We had very much a mix and match team, our backs are our strength and look what we put out

15. Tom Walker, 14. Pat Tapley, 13. Ed Coulson, 12. Tom Hitchcock, 11. Joe Green, 10. Jake Sharp, 9. Al Gliksten

1 1st choice starter (maybe), 2 trialists, 1 "new" player, 1 only recently back from a long term injury, 1 academy player, 1 DR never played with the fly half.

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 17:36
Have always said ampthill have more ambition than the blues!

Yes our 2nd team backs but even then?

Thought Pritchard looked fit for his age, not so Soane and I’m glad we never signed him now

Hope this game becomes a regular Christmas fixture

Would be great to maybe have another around New Year’s Day against the Ath? With definately our fringe players and maybe some trislists for next season?

Charge a bit less for the New Years game? You’re bound to get some sort of crowd?

TryBlues (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 18:23
I'd much rather Blues achievement over Ampthill's ambition. They have been ambitious for years and yet haven't been promoted yet. This season they do have a great chance with pretty much the best attack and defence they have a chance.

I'd hope Pritchard looked fit for his age being a Personal Trainer!

Too late to organise and I would imagine the players have been given a week off to relax and I would be concentrating on the tactics v Ealing rather than beat Ath by 80+ points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2018 20:24 by TryBlues.

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 19:52
Next year?

TryBlues (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 20:26
I'd hope the RFU would see what a mistake they made and have a proper league programme and delay the mid-season break to mid-Jan to end-Jan when you generally get a few postponed games in the league.

mellsblue (IP Logged)
27 December, 2018 22:26
Quote:
TryBlues
I'd hope the RFU would see what a mistake they made and have a proper league programme and delay the mid-season break to mid-Jan to end-Jan when you generally get a few postponed games in the league.
This.

Yaffle (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 15:18
"Ampthill deserve to be in this league despite comments which have been aired on this site....... " No more than we, or any other Championship side, deserve to be in the Premiership. Ampthill have to win their league and earn promotion like any other club.
This year's Boxing Day fixture was a throw back to the annual friendly against Old Paulines - give some of the fringe players and a few youngsters a chance to show their mettle. Great turnout and, no doubt, a good money-spinner for the club.

28 December, 2018 21:15
"Ampthill deserve to be in this league despite comments which have been aired on this site....... "

Yaffle indeed if they win promotion or if as I suspect when The Championship Clubs realise that this league needs to expands to fourteen and eventually sixteen teams.....

On the matter of the game much discussion here and elsewhere about ‘Pritch’ and ‘Tiny’ but there were some very good young players in the Ampthill line up as well.......lets hope MR made a note of them....

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
29 December, 2018 14:19
There were some good ampthill players, for sure but do you think they’d come to the blues if ampthill were in the same league - which is very possible in the near future?

Would love to see an ampthill blues combined academy or wanderers type team playingf friendlies etc that’d be good!

30 December, 2018 16:29
Luton Blue I think we finished with Academy's some time back and sent some of our younger players to play in the lower leagues for experience .........perhaps someone could fill in the details there.....please.

This was a win win event for both clubs......we both came out it well financially, many Ampthill supporters were planning return visits........perhaps when it comes to pre season friendlies Ampthill makes more sense than playing a Premiership team........

iron blue (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 17:17
LB, why wouldn’t Ampthill players want to come to the Blues? We have signed Ampthill players in the past. As for a combined academy, nice idea, but I really couldn’t see that working as one team would want the pick of the best players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net