rugbyunion
Latest News:

Players who moved on at the end of last season
Yaffle (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 11:13
How many of those players who left Bedford at the end of last season are getting regular first team rugby at their new clubs - e.g. Burns, Packman, Onajaife, Edgson, Lindsey et al?
Booj appears to have made his mark at Wasps, and that is great to see, but all the aforementioned seem to be 'bench-warmers' or 'bit-part players'. I can't recall having seen Lindsey, Edgson or Packman feature - perhaps they are carrying long-term injuries?
To what extent has their move developed their rugby or given them more opportunities?
Would Bedford have been a better side this season if they had stayed?

Re: Players who moved on at the end of last season
compo simonite (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 13:00
Well done Yaffle an excellent posting......even go so far as to say thought provoking......

The question is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond?

Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:34
Excellent post!

We canít stop players leaving? Maybe they were offered better terms? But if youíre a blues first team regular and go to a team knowing your a bench warmer? Why? Surely youíre in sport to play?

mellsblue (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 15:57
Itís a short career and maximising income, especially at Champ salaries, is very important. I can understand Lindsey going to Bristol even if it meant limited game time, though he is starting today, as itís Prem rugby. Not taken much notice of the others but Burns seems to be a perennial sub - not surprising with his pace - whilst Edgson and Packman havenít seemed to have featured too much. Unless itís a bumper salary hike it doesnít like itís worth it to play for a club all of one league position above in front of a few hundred spectators. Then again they might be sold a promise of a serious promotion push or far superior off field facilities. Who knows?!?!?

Yaffle (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:22
Despite my disappointment at seeing those players leave, I am more than happy with those that Mike Rayer has brought in as Ďreplacementsí. Coulson, Curry and Robling have all dropped into place nicely and Flanaganís return was the icing on the cake.
I was particularly sorry, but not surprised, to see Lindsey leave because I thought him to be an excellent player with great credentials.
It would be good to see young Lennon get a bit more game time as he looks as if he has a lot of potential.
How much more has Jarrod Williams got left in his tank and will his contract be renewed at the end of this season?

TryBlues (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 19:44
The players need to make a living and if you're offered more money to do less work wouldn't we all take that job?

Booj seems to have commanded a 1st choice position helped by Gopperth being out

Lindsay has played a bit and starting away to Exeter losing by 5 shows he is valued

The Ealing Lot
Burns is a sub and left as he wasn't happy not being 1st choice
Onajaife is in and out of the side but Flanagan is better
Packman has played a little at the beginning of the season but was injury prone with Hutler stepping up
Haven't seen Edgson get into the team at all

Who have we missed, I'd say Booj, Burns and then it would have been good to have kept Edgson.

Williams is about 28/29, so he's still got some good years ahead and I would be surprised if he wasn't offered a new contract.

06 January, 2019 18:00
As ever TryBlues your breakdown of the subject is correct as is mellsblue comments on the salaries.....money does talk.....

But if I were a young player at the start of my career and I believed in my talent, then I would want to display that talent on the pitch, so everyone could see how good I was, so my target would be to play for a club who would reward me with a regular game playing me in my best position........yes I know I live in an idealistic world........how ever in the end it would depend on the money......

Regretfully the Championship has to live with the ĎEaling factorí and those players which have already been mentioned will be joined by the best of this yearís players from us and other teams.......

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 00:28
Lindsay has had quite a number of appearances for Bristol this season including starting against top of the league Exeter on Saturday (as have most of the players signed from the championship such as O'Connor, Pincus, Woolmore, etc) so I don't think that's a fair comment at all, especially in the case of Bristol.

He's done quite well, probably the best scrummager out of all our hookers but doesn't quite have the dynamism of Thacker or Molton. Each of the three have played key roles and are rotated and valued, as it should be. We have a promising youngster coming through in that position too so it will be very interesting to see how it pans out in the next couple of years.

07 January, 2019 19:16
Fraternal greetings Rinkadink so nice to get a visit from outside Ďthe pondí......personally hoping you guys stay up.......not that we objected to you and yours company but we are looking to entertaining another club from the Premiership next year...........

I see thereís already talk of ring fencing the Premiership......and we are only one week into the New Year.......hopefully you guys at Bristol will be supporting promotion and relegation to continue .......

iron blue (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 19:33
Players will always come and go as someone already said itís a short career and it must be difficult sometimes to choose between financial reward and regular game time. Thankfully there always seems to be a crop of good young players who want to come to the Blues. Unless of course they play for Ampthill.... apparently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net