Latest news:

Still 3rd.
Discussion started by Garlic sausage , 21 April, 2019 10:57
Still 3rd.
Garlic sausage 21 April, 2019 10:57
Need a 5 pointer against Nottingham to be sure of third. Frustrating watch in the sunshine yesterday, no lack of effort but error strewn.

Re: Still 3rd.
Luton_Blue 21 April, 2019 11:23
We are! And if we stay there time to celebrate! Given next years signings the same or better? Can we actually embarrass and challenge?

Yaffle 22 April, 2019 10:26
Under Mike Rayer we shall always be a good side to watch, scoring lots of tries BUT defensively we are poor and we regularly fail to secure games that should be won.

iron blue 22 April, 2019 18:14
Need a decent defence coach, simple as.

Yaffle 23 April, 2019 10:23
Quote:
iron blue
Need a decent defence coach, simple as.
I'm with you there IB.
I think that even a 'half-decent' defence coach would see our game improve.

mellsblue 23 April, 2019 18:39
A top defence coach would help but with the way we play (long may it continue) Shaun Edwards would have his work cut out.

iron blue 23 April, 2019 20:33
We have had good defence coaches in the past and still played the way we do now. Some of the tries that we have conceded in the last couple of games have been criminal.

mellsblue 23 April, 2019 21:44
Iím not saying it canít improve, just that the way we play our d will never be that solid.

TryBlues 24 April, 2019 19:20
Our defence often starts off good and then deteriorates as the season progresses. It wasnít that long ago we didnít concede a try in something like the first 5 games?

I think pretty much since the Coventry game it has been bad which is when players are told they arenít being kept, others are retiring or thinking about their holiday plans with not a lot to play for other than trying to be best of the rest outside the big money clubs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2019 23:58 by TryBlues.

bluegrass 24 April, 2019 22:23
I agree with all that above comments but I think it's the way we play makes it very difficult to defend as the players are still in attacking positions when our moves break down. Leeds was probably the lowest point of the season for me but hey ho meal in the marquee on Saturday a few beers watch another five pointer then look forward to a few more good signings to be announced. Then ground share with ampthill for next season.

compo simonite 25 April, 2019 08:28
Bluegrass

ĎThen ground share with ampthill for next season.

Have I missed something, are Ampthill if they come up not going to play at their ground?

TryBlues 27 April, 2019 20:24
We did it by 6 points in the end... easy!

Blue Fox 28 April, 2019 13:05
The only downside yesterday was the Cricketers ran out of beer and had to close early.

Ginger Blueboy 02 May, 2019 22:48
Quote:
mellsblue
A top defence coach would help but with the way we play (long may it continue) Shaun Edwards would have his work cut out.

Think he fancies the challenge winking smiley [www.bbc.co.uk]

mellsblue 03 May, 2019 09:14
Quote:
Ginger Blueboy
Quote:
mellsblue

Think he fancies the challenge winking smiley [www.bbc.co.uk]
Ha. Bedford or France? I know which I would choose.....

Bluebuthappy 09 May, 2019 18:55
At the start of the season I think most of would've taken 3rd after we lost so many of our top players from the previous season. Great to see Jordan O. come back - especially with Flanagans retirement. I can't remember use stealing so many opposition throws as Jordan did.

The two players who I think have really stepped up this season have been Ryan Hutler & James Lennon. I think Dicko has been a big influence on Lennon, he's been getting in his opposite numbers face at the scrum just like Dicko did.

We know Burns was playing regularly for Ealing and has signed for next year but what about the others? Howard Packman & George Edson haven't been appearing on team sheets Ive seen. Injuries or just not flavour of the month?

Haven't seen Tom Lindsay's name at Bristol either.

Booj seemed to have had a great start at Wasps but recently went AWOL. Injury?

TryBlues 09 May, 2019 20:57
Edgson was injured much of the season and was loaned out to a couple of clubs I believe. He was desperate to re-join us but because he is injury prone we decided against it and has signed for Doncaster Knights. My opinion is you need 3 hookers, so could afford him to be injured 50% of the time.

Packman I don't think really fits into Ealing.

Lindsay has played a little.

Booj got an injury and then someone took the spot which was hard to then force your way back into the team.

Bluebuthappy 09 May, 2019 21:25
Thanks for confirmation/info.

Agree about needing 3 Hookers. If one got injured (highly likely) we'd need to scrabble around for a loanee. Maybe MR has a Sarries boy lined up or promoting from the Academy?

I think Lindsay would have benefitted more from another season with us playing week in week out rather than making up the numbers at Briz, but I guess money talks - he'll be getting paid more as a water boy than we could offer.

I wonder if, with hindsight, Packman is regretting the move. I think he was on a 2 year deal wasn't he? I kinda thought at the end of last season Ealing were buying up a lot of the top talent just to stop them playing for the opposition like Chelsea and Man City in poofball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net